3D Printer... Now I know I'll never get caught up!

I just got a new printer and now I think I’m going to be finding excuses to build new armies! This is going to ensure that I never get caught up on painting! Now I’m wondering if printing unit bases is going to be cost effective.

3 Likes

Welcome to the 3D printing club! Yes, you probably will end up printing armies on a whim. LoL

Which printer did you get?

I got the Anycubic Photon. It’s just a great machine and the quality of .STL’s out there is amazing!

Oh good, you got a resin printer. It’s the better choice for miniatures. Details come at the cost of build volume though. I have an Elegoo Mars and I am very happy with it so far.

I’m ok with 2 piece giants and trolls printed at 85% for the savings! I only miss out on bigger terrain but there’s only so much storage in an apartment.

To be honest, separating big complicated models into smaller pieces is better anyway from a support/model damage perspective. My friend and I have almost printed out a Warhound Titan in pieces, so bigger models aren’t usually a problem. Movement bases like you mentioned can be though. Multiprintung a horde base just seems silly.

Yeah the bases / trays would be one at a time laying flat since they are just a few mm thick. The only downside so far has been cleaning and curing, so I just bought the anycubic system for this too! I love toys!

1 Like

Their system looks like it works great. I already have a work flow so rebuying a setup didn’t make sense for me. I’m with you on the loving new toys though!

Printing basing elements is more in line with what I like. Bases are easy enough to source other ways.

I’m with you. At a couple of bucks each for MDF unit bases, it won’t replace buying them but for the odd size on short notice, it will be nice!
I am printing and cleaning in an apartment so the quicker I can cure and kill fumes the better. I may go so far as to set both of these up in the bathroom to use the small space and vent fan. . A full production facility on a toilet tank would be very weird!

1 Like