Airbrush! Taking first steps

when I got the infinity I was able to get a set with a 0.4 mm nozzle for priming, terrain, and varnishing, and a 0.2mm nozzle for detail. If you can get the same go for it.

Also the best advice I ever received was, “if you think your paint is thin enough, thin it again”

2 Likes

That set contains a .4 and a .2 needle/nozzle. Seems to be the way to go according to this forum and half of YouTube.
Thanks everyone!

1 Like

How do you airbrush users find the fumes?

I’ve almost pulled the trigger on a set a few times but pulled back due to talk of fume vents and extraction systems and heavy duty masks and suddenly it started looking like work. Or I wouldn’t bother and get poisoned painting toy soldiers.

3 Likes

After 20 months of wearing masks, that doesn’t seem much of a problem to me😉
But good question. How do you protect yourself, if at all?

always wear a mask when you’re spraying. I have a portable extraction booth thing. but if I’m just doing a quick spray I don’t always use that. You will get a fine layer of dust over the surface you’re spraying on so if you don’t have a dedicated room you should probably invest in something like that

4 Likes
1 Like

So, I got this ‘light version’ of an airbrush, because I will mostly use it for priming, bigger models with flat surfaces, terrain and some special effects.
The main reason to get this thing

was be to be able to use it on the balcony/in the garden without building a proper airbrush setup in my flat. My wife really appreciates this approach, double win😆

Today I primed a Nemesis Intruder with a black spray can and then applied Greenstuffworld’s Colorshift Borealis Green with the airbrush. It’s really hard to capture the effect on a picture. Just think of a really shiny, disgusting, fat fly.

It worked really good and I’m excited to try it with more standard paints.

4 Likes

Keno can you link to a product page for that airbrush? Or even better a link from where you bought it.

I bought on Amazon (auto correct suggested ‘Mazon’ :laughing:). I ordered one from the US, since it is sometimes unclear how much PSI (pressure) the countless cheap chinese airbrushes provide and descriptions tend to be badly translated. So I took the one from the guy in the video. Here is the link:

It arrived in less than a week here in Germany.
So far, I’m still happy with it. The compressor is fully compatible with better airbrush pistols, btw.

2 Likes

Super information. Thanks.

Now the next question. Fumes - how did you setup for that?

I’m close to buying here if only for priming and varnishing.

I used the airbrush on the balcony. No additional ventilation was needed. The compressor is a perfect stand, so you do not need much else. It’s really like a ‘travel airbrush’.

2 Likes

First time doing more than just priming. A two colour paint scheme (basically priming with two colours, really).

It’s really good for this purpose. I’ll try using with normal paints (thinned down) next week.

4 Likes

Getting an airbrush totally changed the way I paint. Everything is primed with it, but I now use it for almost every base coat and a lot of the shading and highlighting. I use a zenithal highlight from above, which really helps with getting realistic lighting on your models. I also started with a cheap and nasty airbrush, although I did notice a marked improvement when I switched to an Iwata Eclipse CR.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but compressors can be very noisy… my first one vibrated through the whole house and required a lot of padding to dampen the sound. Regarding fumes… acrylic paint, although non toxic, is not something you really want to be breathing in, and filling your lungs with. A quick spray, and I won’t bother putting on a mask, but anything longer than that I use a respirator. A well ventilated room will probably do the trick in summer though, if you’re near a window.

4 Likes

I bought this from Ebay:

I haven’t had the time to test it yet. It fits on my mini-compressor, but only with the hose attached.
I got to say though, the overall quality, material and ‘cleanability’ is way better than the cheap one I got with my compressor. Probably going to test it later today.

2 Likes

I used the 0,4mm needle and nozzle to shade the whole model with nuln oil. It took a while to figure it out, but in the end it was incredibly fast.
Shades are not perfect for airbrushes, but I’m quite pleased with the outcome. Next up, highlighting the blue.
The H&S Evolution is MUCH better than the cheap noname one. The mini-compressor still is awesome for my purposes.

4 Likes

it’s a brave new world

1 Like

True. My next step was in fact to cover my Undead Flying Worm with Apothecary White Contrast Colour. Worked really good, didn’t even need to thin down the paint. I applied a colour on two big models on one afternoon. Would have been impossible for me (most likely for everyone except @Sceleris :wink:) without an airbrush. I’m in love!

2 Likes

I did a bit of midtone highlighting. Turned out I haven’t thinned down the paint enough, so it got clogged soon. A small cleanup would have solved it, but my sons (both in quarantine atm) got bored and I had to stop anyway.
Looks quite smooth to the eye, photo not so much.

4 Likes

Looks a bit rough atm, but after drybrushing and shading it’s going to look cool, I hope😉

4 Likes

I finished the midtone highlights.

And some brighter highlights.
The rest will be painted with a normal brush.

3 Likes