Monster March! - painting topic

Hi @Sceleris
The trebuchet looks really cool. Did you scratch build it?

1 Like

@Sceleris, it’s good to see a propper big seige engine rather than something made from bailer twine and sticks :smiley: A boulder thrower needs to be impressively big, with a decent counterweight. Although fitting that on a 5050 base is challenging. My own Big Bouldah Chukka struggles to squeeze onto a 100100 base. We need a bigger Artillery option.

1 Like

@Kraygor - it’s the GW one from the Gondor LotR range

@Nav - yeah, this is huge and is on a 75*125 base!

1 Like

Been a bit quite with the hobby for a few months. Managed to pick up a brush and start on these chaps last night.

Hope to get them finished by the end of the week, that and a video up on the channel.

9 Likes

Pair of generals on winged beasts for my KoM.

10 Likes

Very nice @Sceleris. They are lovely models to work with , those eagles, aren’t they.

Yeah, wish there were a couple of extra body styles.

1 Like

yes, i put mine at different heights, which seemed to assentuate the different wing positions, or that might just be my imagination. However, more height also brings stability problems, which needs to be taken into account.

2 Likes

Second unit of count-as ogre palace guard for the brothermark side of the army - Edit: better pic added

7 Likes

Are those the GW LotR eagles?

Might have to invest in some myself for my KoM at some point.

1 Like

After ages in development, sculpting, painting, sitting waiting for a mouth resculpt, I finally just painted and finished up the Beast of War that will be a Mongolian death worm for the Herd Mongol army.
Beast of war with breath upgrade, maybe extra attacks if points allow.

The Force so Far

8 Likes

Yep - and Fireforge riders

2 Likes

Love it!
I have a very large worm monster that I am using as the same thing for my KoM Mongolians.

Will post a photo of it.

1 Like

very nice @Muakhah

Boars as Wild Gur Panthers

9 Likes

I’ve got a huge pile of undead that have been laying unpainted for years, at least 1000 pts worth, and I’ve been trying to figure out a paint scheme I like. I don’t know that this is it, but it’s my latest test model.

Inspired by Vince Venturella’s video on mining Van Gogh’s “Vase with Asters and Phlox” for ideas. It’s not meant to be a literal translation but I tried to bring in the painting’s wildly unrealistic but evocative shadows, monochromatic palette, and paint-as-texture with stippling and hatching to separate the similarly colored rust and cloth.

It was certainly fun to try something different! And I’ve got some ideas for v2.

14 Likes

That looks absolutely gorgeous… well as much as an animated skeleton with rusty weapons can be called such.

How didnyou achieve the rust on the axe?

Hey, thanks! The rust was:

1. Zenithal prime
  2. Dull metallic basecoat
  3. Dab with thinned black patches
  4. Stipple with brown red, then an orange red, then with more orangey red
  5. Stipple and edge highlight bright metallic
  6. Clean up with dull metallic and thinned black
  7. Nuln oil in recesses and shadowed areas
  8. Gloss coat to bring back some shine

Next time I will try reducing the number of stippling colors to save time, I don’t know how much all those layers mattered. Before priming I would also consider stippling on some texture paint or liquid green stuff to give the rust a legit corroded texture.

4 Likes

Good to know, @generalsloth . The overall rust effect looks really great.
Have you tried sponging? I did a lot of rusting work on my 40k Orks, and sponging was an easy and effective way to add colour , layering and texture to the rusty sections. Also, dabbing with superglue gel to roughen up the flat surfaces. Once it had dried, it gives a great roughened effect, where the rust had eaten into the metal and pitted it.

2 Likes

I haven’t but totally on my radar to try both sponging and sg gel. Thanks!

1 Like