Forum Survey - thoughts on the responses

True, but the rules (at least basic rules) are free. So, no excuses! I really like Vanguard, but the writing of the rules could be better. I get it that people, that like KoW like to play something more streamlined. I enjoy both games (and Deadzone, which is as streamlined as it gets and very, very good!)
A matter of taste for sure, but I recommend giving Vanguard a try. It’s worth it!

2 Likes

FORUM SURVEY

Snapshot (current activity):

Is Kings of War your primary miniatures game? If no, what is?
A: No.
The 9th Age: Essence of War

What is your primary army at the moment?
A: Orcs AND Goblins

What unit did you last work on (painting or building)?
A: Currently working on Trolls

What point size are you playing at/planning for?
A: 2000 and up I guess as KoW seems to work better at that scale.

General:

What KoW armies can you put on the table?
A: Goblins

When did you ‘get into’ Kings of War (by edition or Clash update)?
A: Got interested in the last year of 2nd edition, but heard rumours of 3rd edition was coming so waited to see if that was true and it was, so that was the first edition I owned.

Roughly, what percentage of the time do you select allies?
A: Not played yet so N/A really, but I intend to use Orc allies as I will probably have to do so to field a full army at some points levels.

What was the last tournament you attended (in any capacity)?
A: None

Have you ever played KoW online? If yes, what platforms?
A: No

What other Mantic games do you play?
A: None, but Armada looks very interesting if I had the time for it (one day I hope).

Forum/online:

How did you find this forum?
A: I THINK from somewhere on fb, but I jumped here almost as soon as it started as I hated the fb groups filled with nonsense and was looking for a KoW forum from the outset and was disappointed there wasn’t one

Other than this forum, what’s your favourite site/social media etc for KoW?
A: Dash 28 website or Greenskins fb group. Death by Dragons Youtube too if that counts as a “social media” (different thing to me! :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

FORUM SURVEY

Snapshot (current activity):

A: It used to be Malifaux. But with the pandemic that passion died a little. But KoW has always been in my Top 3.

A: I’m finishing painting an Imperial Dwarf army for a tourney this Sunday.

A: A Warsmith

A: 1985

General:

A: Fully painted: Imperial Dwarfs and Undead. I try not to play with unpainted armies.

A: 2nd Ed KS backer.

A: Never, but not because I’m against them. I think it’s a great way to slowly paint a second+ army.

A: The last Battle for Bilbostock pre-pandemic in 2019. And on Sunday I’ll go to the 2021 Battle for Bilbostock.

A: Nope. I was tempeted during the pandemic. But I’m not fond of palying tabletop games on the computer. Though I was the same with RPGs, and now I think it’s a great option for certain games.

A: Deadzone semi-regularly. I’ve played Dungeon Saga and Hellboy too.

Forum/online:

A: Probably through the Fanatics FB page.

A: Does my local Whatsapp group count?

2 Likes

A: It is. I actually have an army for Kings of War. I went to to two Tournaments back in 2nd Ed, in fact it’s the only Wargame I’ve ever properly played. Whereas I might have a small Tau force for 40k if bothered to look into the rules but I only minis really. Might use them in Firefight one day if it comes good but I like fantasy more it seems.

A: I have an Ogre army painted but I’m working on Basilea. My Ogres are a Mantic/GW mix while Basilea is full Mantic.

A: Basilean army box - assembled a large chunk of it and primed.

A: At the moment I’m just trying to finish the models I own - probably around 1500 with a generous sprinkling of items. 2000 would be the next points level for me, not for any Sisterhood in yet. They’d be next.

General:

A: Ogres

A: Intrested at the end of 1st and actively in 2nd. The whole rules being available to peruse was appealing and I liked the simplicity and elegance.

A: I’ve used them a couple of times.

A: An Altibash back in 2nd. Came last (unsurprisingly)

A: Not yet.

A: None really but I have some Deadzone knocking around. I like the idea of Firefight and Deadzone but it’s not a focus. Armada is interesting but I don’t really have the mental space for more than one system if I’m honest with myself.

Forum/online:

A: I think I was investigating 3rd edition and it just came up.

A: I guess Kings of War Fanatics on FB and Dash28. Facebook is not my choice but it’s an active group and very different to the forum, there are memes and idiotic arguments, but also a lot of posts. The forum is measured and chill.

2 Likes

Also take a look at the twilight kin list @Francis and @Gerrcinn … there you have impalers with CS1 (i.e. palace guard equivalents) and shadow archers with piercing and pound, which imho makes more sense for an elite scouting force than the “line troop spearmen/archers” in the elf list do. That list might also be more up to date, since it’s mixed with the twilight kin list - maybe?

Anyways, I’ve just assumed the elf list will get an update at some point, as there definitely is a difference between “legacy lists” that just have the regular KoW models in the list and the new lists with newly released Vanguard models. Those later ones are just much more fleshed out.

2 Likes

Did you mean 1995? If not, why 1985?

A lot of people seem to be greenskin players at heart. It’s been suggested elsewhere on the forum that it would be good to have a theme list to reunite them. Skulks and Luggits even recreate their roles in each others lists.

3 Likes

Most of the time!

1 Like

I mean compared to the Facebook group, with shit posts and argumentative threads, it’s a paradise! Sure there is the odd conflagration but relatively it’s glorious.

4 Likes

The Facebook group is a mystery to me! Sounds like I’m not missing out.

1 Like

This is exactly the same time I got into Kings. Though for a while it was just following it through the rules releases and the early Counter Charges.

1 Like

No, I meant 1985. But that was the point size for the tourney I played this Saturday.

I usually play 2000.

Usually to avoid 3 of a kind you play 1995. But the idea behind lowering it to 1985 was to shake it up a little more, probably making you take out a magic item or an upgrade.

1 Like