General Sloth's sloooow Trident Realm (Vanguard)

My local club was one of the lucky recipients of the “Your Club, Your Story” promotion, and while some of my clubmates have been making terrific and bad-ass progress, I’ve been going pretty slow.

(I go by the nom du guerre “General Sloth” for a reason!)

But progress has been made! I posted an unboxing vid, then did some serious mathhammer, er, mathguard, but then got stuck. The Trident Realm colors were very, very foreign from the humans or furry monsters I normally paint, and got super intimidated.

So I procrastinated with a new Centaur for Vanguard:

Finally, finally! In my latest update (“I Pity the Thuul”) got past my painter’s block with a series of skin and armor tests, took a big step back with a @%#-up of the Riverguard, and a small step forward with some Thuul skin tones I like:
Thuul_cropped

More to come, but I’m off to run Vanguard demos at our FLGS!

3 Likes

After the total screw-up that was priming and basecoating my Riverguard, I procrastinated some more. (Not entirely - most of my hobby time was going towards running Vanguard demos, playtesting some stuff, and finishing up my 2000 pt Herd army.)

But I’m back on the Riverguard train, if only because I’m procrastinating about something I’m dreading even more.

• Skin was layered up 3 shades of green and I think I salvaged the priming/basecoating fiasco alright.
  • Went with bronze weapons and armor that I will discolor with verdigris – something I’ve never painted before and I’m super-excited to try out!
  • I’m not happy with the shields. The “dusty” spotty primer job and my drybrushing really show up here. Hoping an Agrax Earthshade wash evens it out.
  • Started on the leather bits. Liking where it’s going, will give it a highlight or two. Really, everything needs a few more layers and a wash at this point.
  • No clue what to do with the cloth areas, like the loincloths. Most of the other models in the warband will have pale blue skin or other splashes of blue, so maybe that?

In other news, my clubmates are making (more) headway on their warbands. Matty’s Abyssals are on fire (almost literally) and Joel’s Nightstalkers are looking scary.

2 Likes

Looking nice! Like the lip highlights!

1 Like