Godwins 1k paint challenges

Hi, I’m Godwin. Been a gamer for many years or at least a collector. I have more unpainted models than I care to think about so last year set myself the challenge of painting an 1k army a month. I have a 4x4 gaming table so smaller forces suit and pose a different challenge when planning and playing. I have too many ideas and have to put the ideas into practice too so smaller army’s scratch the itch. I also like to try to do them as cheaply as possible! Anyway thought I’d start a thread showing my armies done and works in progress in case one or two people are interested! Any questions just ask.

5 Likes

Here is an undead force I painted a while ago. I’m not an expert painter just go for looks good on a table kind of effect. This one is for a campaign I hope to start soon.

3 Likes

This is a Fimir army using the ogre list. The dinosaur is from a pound shop and I use it as a slasher.

2 Likes

My modern take on the Slann using the Herd list. Though trying to work it to trident realms atm

5 Likes

Some nice armies you got there! You set yourself a challenging task.
I’m surprised how good the low model count works!

1 Like

Good work on the armies! Your idea of using lizards for the herd list is interesting. May you elaborate what units you are representing with them.

1 Like

They are all frogs actually, I remember the original slann armies were all amphibians with a scifi tech theme. Lizards were slaves so to allow me to use salamander allies I chose Herd. I used slightly converted river guard as tribal trappers(blow pipes) river guard as warriors and as longhorns some larger frog models called erukin from diehard miniatures. The river guard on cold ones represent centaurs. The chief is armed with a lasgun (boomstick). I have plans to expand it with frogs in battlesuits as lycans and ghouls as spirit walkers representing drugged up human slaves that were in the early WH slann lists. Now there are more river guard options in the trident army Im hoping I can take advantage of the actual frog rules there! The original slann had different warrior types, Eagle jaguar etc with different skills. Not sure how to work that yet unless I use magic items for each reg.

1 Like

Really nice, I like it! Actually, you may even put a large frog model in (either by the GW or Mantic production) and call it Frog herder using the Tree herder profile now.

1 Like

I have the Slann priest on floating platform from GW, a tree herder could work… Thanks for that!

I love the armies! Good job for keeping up with a 1,000 points a month! Combine them and you’ll end up with larger armies anyhow!

1 Like

That’s the long term plan! At least I will have the core troops for some armies up to 2 or 3k all I need to do then is some big centre piece figures which little armies don’t really allow for points wise.

Here is a Brotherhood army, green lady version under new rules. I create back story and history for all my armies, helps me plan campaigns and such for them. This is the army of Darkmere. Servants of the House of Pity

4 Likes

Here’s my Skragg the mercenary’s army. Having to adjust, repair and change my earlier stuff to fit the 3e rules. This is one in progress.

This is a WiP. Call it the Wind & the willows FON army. Not sure if it will work on the battle field but I just had to do it once I had the idea. Horde of shamblers 2 hordes of wind elementals a greater wind elemental and a Japanese druid using magic fans to cast wind blast etc. Lots of wind spells here so should have fun moving the enemy all around the field!

4 Likes

I really dig 1k armies, and they are sooooo easy to hobby up :slight_smile: The Wind & The Willows is probably my favorite of these, as its using less seen units but also its theme is reflected in both its unit choice as well as its models, which I strive for myself when building armies and their lists. The Fimir crew is pretty great as well, because Fimir.

1 Like

Thanks! I do enjoy putting these armies together. To keep a theme and also make them look like the army they are to represent is fun to do. Also gets the lead pile of Shame down too!

Great stuff! I can’t stand having unpainted models lying around either.

1 Like

Not had much hobby time this month either to paint or sort out some of my earlier armies to show you but here are some more WiP of the FoN wind army and the now 3E compliant ogre army.

And a bit of a tease for next months work…

1 Like

2 Likes

Fan lady looks great. I’ve always wanted to do a 1250 pt project like this around some of the army boxes.

1 Like