Monster March! - painting topic

Love the growing FoN army and color scheme. I have one comment though. I think the plastic plants could do with a wash or something to dull the brightness compared to the other greenery. It would also add a little variation to it.

But other than that it’s a seriously nice basing and unified color scheme!

1 Like

Luggit Gang now complete,

11 Likes

Thanks - the plants are darker IRL, but that had been something I’d thought about

1 Like

I finally made some progress with painting and finishing some units over Christmas, so to reward myself I’m posting the pictures here.
Firstly, I started fitting magnets to hold infantry models in their movement trays and completed a regiment of spearmen for the Brothermark:

I also fitted magnets to some spacers so I can vary the layout on the movement trays or change the number of models:

As they fit with the yellow theme, I have also included a photo of the crossbow regiment finished before Christmas:

Finally, the first troop of foot guard for the League of Rhordia:

I hope to build this into a horde but the amount of work needed to clean up the resin castings from MOM Miniatures means that this project has gone on the back burner. I have some Gamezone Imperials as possible alternatives but if anyone knows of anything else that might work I’d be pleased to hear from them.

14 Likes

Thanks to @Nav I got my hands on some Ratkin. To test my colour scheme I painted Twitch Keenear. Here’s what I came up with:

I tried to implement the background of Twitch with the blinded eye, a reddisch tint on the fur and missing teeth. I really like the model, it was a blast from the past, painting fantasy rats again. Skaven were my first WHFB army some 25y ago.

16 Likes

Looking great @KptKeno. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the Ratkin, they look sweer sculpts

1 Like

Great work on the rat, and it’s awesome to see some Mantic ratkin out in the wild!

1 Like

Thanks, the Night Terror is already based and primed.:wink:

Probably telling you something you already know, but Perry miniatures make a lovely selection of 100 years war / agincourt troops at great prices. They’re quite slender compared to GW, so would look odd in the same unit. Not sure how big your guys are? Also I’ve got some Artizan designs and they are chunkier and look good, but are more expensive

3 Likes

Thanks for your suggestion @HouseElf. I love the Perry sculpts but they are too small. The MOM minis are actually slightly larger than the WFB 6th edition state troops I am using for pikemen and I have had to mount them on a thinner base (2mm rather than 3mm) to even the heights. I’ll check out the Artizan range. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

As a chariot legion, or what? :scream_cat:

1 Like

Good guess Fred, a horde of Rabble cutthroats arrrgghhhh! me hearties. it should make an interesting movement tray

1 Like

It could be a Trojan horse cavalry horde :yum:

This is stinking brilliant! I’ve had the idea to do something similar for two years now to accompany my goblin spitters , but the way you did this is encouraging to start with it immediately.

(disclaimer: I probably won’t. I have an armada ship to finish first to complete a fleet, then three undead minis to complete a war cry warband and after that I’m probably gonna do a a Basilean high paladin on dragon which has been waiting in my bits box for months now)

But it’s damned impressive. Compliments!

1 Like

Many thanks @Vince. i’ve ended up replacing all the sails with hand sanitizer cloths, and extending the masts somewhat.
Work complete on the base for my Goblin Rabble pirate hoard…or a legion even, with the extended version with the beaching craft and boarding ladders added. I’ll have to stop putting off painting the final 40 goblins now… I’ve run out of excuses 🤣

I still need a dozen tiny washers to act as port/oar holes in the hull, but they will have to wait until after lockdown is over

Ironically, the next post i see is : Armada-I think i need a bigger boat, hehehe is this one big enough?
:smiley:

Freehand painting was never a strong point, let alone on very absorbent tissue cloth, with no hand support… especially with a hand tremor

4 Likes

Thanks for the tip, I’ve got a few paints that may or may not actually be Washes, due to how they came out; Wolf Grey and Oak Brown to be exact. They had wet palettes at my local tabletop store but I was a fool and forgot to get them. I’m planning on posting two more minis that I finished painting soon, they shall be my dwarven clansmen (luckily I have a Wizkids Deep-Cut Viking box that has a sprue of Viking shields that I can attach to the one model that doesn’t have a shield, the other one counts as a dwarf with a frost-hammer… er… more like frost-ax).

1 Like

Are you using Army Painter paints? The washes are clearly labeled washes and would be very thin.
If your wolf grey and oak brown (which are base colours and not washes) come out thin, you probably need to shake or stir them before each use.

3 Likes

Hmmm, good advice. Never thought about that.

It’s been a while since I did anything, but yesterday I finished my Examplar Redeemer, Anne de Montmorency.

4 Likes

Some more ships for Armada

13 Likes