Mike's Elf Army Thread - now with new and improved monsters/titans & tournament pictures :-)

very, very nice and clean! Great job

1 Like

The tree herder also has a most stylish beard, which is something to appreciate.

2 Likes

Thanks @sheen and @wilberforce, the comments are much appreciated and are great motivation to keep going as well! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Excellent work, really nice to see what is possible with Mantic Elves :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™d consider the Treehearder pretty robust Mikes.

Iā€™ve moved mine around in the past in just a big plastic stacking box with a load of other miniatures.

No more fragile than any other big miniature.

1 Like

Like your alternative all the same. Very natural. I think the Mantic one is a superb model but I canā€™t love it for some reason. Iā€™ve often caught myself admiring other companies treemen instead.:rofl:

Think that makes senseā€¦

1 Like

Thanks @Niall78, Iā€™ll give the Mantic Treeherder a go eventually.

Or I should say ā€œanotherā€ go ā€¦ I actually had one assembled a couple of months ago already and managed to knock it off the table with a careless move of my arm while working on something else - itā€™s so light it literally flew off the table ā€¦ and it completely went to pieces, lots of branches snapped clean off. But I guess you shouldnā€™t do that with any model, so maybe Iā€™m doing it injustice :sweat_smile:

Iā€™m certainly not gonna drop any other large models to see if they fare better or worse ā€¦ or at least Iā€™ll try not to!!! :joy:

Also thanks for the praise @Markconz! Originally I picked up the Mantic models to have something ā€œsimpleā€ to practice on, but i quickly fell in love with them and been giving it my best, with what little painting skill I got. Still canā€™t believe Iā€™ve already got over 1500 points painted now! :slight_smile: (The Infinity models Iā€™ve been planning to paint after practicing ā€œa littleā€ are still unpainted on the shelf ā€¦ while the KoW army grows and grows! :grinning: )

2 Likes

And hereā€™s another update with the latest addition, which brings the army up to about 1800pts now, whew! :grinning:

To my despair I just saw however that the tournament that I would love to visit in September, increased points from 2000 to 2300! More to paint! :laughing:

23 Likes

Very late to the party here, but I love the green cloaks on your cavalry! Well worth spending a year of your life on, if you ask me!

Of course, the entire army is very pretty, but that was the highlight for meā€¦

2 Likes

Thanks @Telchar ! Much appreciated. :slight_smile:

As far as it being worth a full year of painting ā€¦ well, ā€¦ at least they do look pretty :laughing:

Working hard on finishing the last missing points to get everything fully playable at tournaments now!

2 Likes

First Drakon joins the ranks! :grinning:

I was a bit worried about scale issues with the Drakons and the rest of my already painted army. The rider on the Drakon is just a tad larger and also a bit bulkier than the older Stormwind Cavalry Rider models, but seeing them side by side it looks just fine to me.

Definitely wonā€™t be an issue with these models in separate units, just shouldnā€™t mix and match those riders in the same unit, probably. :slight_smile:

20 Likes

Drakon looks great, Mike!

1 Like

I like that the drakon is posed in such a hunched way, it makes it easier to place in melee without parts sticking out too much!

3 Likes

Superb Mikes.

Love how much your paint jobs pop with colour.

Looking forward to painting these miniatures at some stage myself. Mantic on a fine vein of form with the KoW releases of the last few years - these topping the list in my opinion.

2 Likes

Thanks @ThaneBobo , @FredOslow and @Niall78 ! :smiley:

And yep @FredOslow , they are pretty compact and donā€™t stick out over the base very much. The other pose(s) in the box arenā€™t hunched down, but still keep pretty close to the footprint of the base. Only one pose has the wings stick out a bit. Anyways, they rank up quite nicely on a Horde base with little trouble. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And the second Drakon is done finally! Have to say it again: I really really like those models :grinning:

Sadly at my current speed, i wonā€™t finish the Horde in time for the tournament in two weeks ā€¦ going to have to improvise a bit :wink:

17 Likes

Multiple Lords on Drakon?

Sadly canā€™t do two Drakon Lords as I wouldnā€™t be able to reach 2300 points then. (Without the Drakon Horde I would only have 4 unlocks and wonā€™t make the point value.)

But Iā€™ll try to improvise painting wise and paint two quick to paint ā€œalternative Drakonsā€. (i.e. the LOI Drakons I planned to use before I saw these new resin drakon models.) Should be able to get that done in 1-2 weeks ā€¦ not perfect, but it should work :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@Mikes Great looking army, I cannot wait to see it in real life.

2 Likes

Thanks @WolleK ! :slight_smile: Iā€™m really looking forward to the tournament as well!

Just putting the final touches on the Drakon horde and checking what else I need.

2 Likes