Game 163 - Forces of Nature - 2022/10/23

I thought so, and I’ve run into a similar challenge. Hope you find a way to bring the MSU approach to the 3rd edition!

1 Like

Thanks! Working on it :slight_smile:

Hello!

Here is the link to the third game of Kings of War played during first Australian Universal Battle tournament.

This time Elves fought against Night Stalkers commanded by Jeffrey.

Game 127 - Night Stalkers - 2019/11/30

Many thanks to Jeff for a great game!

2 Likes

Always a joy to read! Keep up the good work Swordmaster! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Epic battle!

1 Like

Cheers @Mikes!

One more to go in this event! :slight_smile:

1 Like

It was indeed! I am very happy with the game for sure!

1 Like

Hello!

Here is the link to my most recent battle report. The last game of the first Australian Universal Battle 2 tournament and the last game of 2nd Edition Kings of War!

Elves vs Basileans commanded by Jeff. Many thanks to Jeff for a great game! And to Michael for organising the tournament!

Game 128 - Forces of Basilea - 2019/12/01

5 Likes

What a great game to end 2nd edition on! Congratulations on the win and thanks for the usual top battle report.

I am looking forward to seeing how your army and tactics evolve in 3rd edition.

Really enjoy these battle reports. They take me back to my first White Dwarf over twenty years ago!

I will be very interested to see the evolution of your army in 3rd ed.

Hi @Edzig and @MarkG!

Thank you for your kind words! It was entire tournament for me that was an excellent way to farewell 2nd edition. I had awesome time with all four of my opponents and all the games were really good!

I have already noticed that simple conversion of the army to 3rd edition is not possible. Too few regular units, too many irregular (as befits Outcasts theme :slight_smile: ) and some of the options are simply not there anymore (e.g. Forest Wardens).

My current idea still tries to capture MSU-ish style where I will attempt to outmanoeuvre the enemies, should have more elements that “typical” Elven army and would participate in all phases of the game. Here is 2000 version at this stage:

2 x Palace Guard Regiment
1 x Storm Wind Regiment
1 x Archers Regiment
2 x Drakon Riders Regiment
2 x Forest Shamblers Regiment
2 x Silver Breeze Troop
2 x Drakon Lord
1 x Archmage with Inspiring Talisman and Lightning Bolt
1 x Army Standard

14 elements, 12 scoring. A little bit of shooting to most likely fight off enemy light troops. In order to add variety I am considering exchanging Silver Breeze troop to Gladestalkers. I miss Dwarven Ale and Staying Stone on the Drakons so perhaps further changes will happen but this is what I would like to try out.

I have no doubt more changes will be required in the way I play with the army. I hope to re-define MSU for 3rd edition and still enjoy it the way I did 2nd.

Thanks!

4 Likes

Forest Shamblers without Tree Herder? They’re at quite a risk to be outpaced and outmaneuvered or simply shot to bits before they can impact the game meaningfully, aren’t they?

1 Like

Any Surge for those Forest Shamblers? I agree, I’d love to see you use a Treeherder. It would be a heavy hitter, add Surge, give a little healing, and is tough.
Maybe instead of one of the Shambler units? Worth a try, but you have to consider the dynamics of your list.
Looking forward to your battles in 3rd edition.

Hi @LunaGuardian and @Bloodaxe,

Thank you for your comments and the suggestion.

Unfortunately, I do not see the place for Tree Herder in my army. It is quite an expensive piece and although I am sure it is a very useful part of any Elven army, at this stage I do not think I need it.

Forest Shamblers operate very well without Surge. I did it many times in the past and although it was always good to have an opportunity, it was hardly as good as for Undead with Surge (3) for Forest Wardens.

I found that Vanguard can be very helpful on its own, their Pathfinder is very useful and they are extremely reliable as they cannot be wavered.

Thanks!

1 Like

I am a big fan of the 3ed tree herder but completely agree with you that it does not fit your MSU style. I think you should be fine with the shamblers regiments using them as chaff and blocking units that may even survive some attacks, especially if placed in difficult terrain. And since the shamblers can also dish out some damage the opponent cannot ignore them as he/she might have if it was a genuine chaff unit.

Was thinking of the “Tome of Darkness” for my own Elf List.

Yeah not much Surge, but only 20 pts as well :slight_smile:

Hi @AlQuds and @Mikes!

Thank you for your comments!

The trick with MSU style armies is that everything can be potentially expendable. However, in these armies they are heroes who valiantly sacrifice their lives so their companions and brothers in arms can carry the day!

What is more, if the “bait” is more expensive and does not really look like one, you may tempt the enemy to commit more valuable unit. While with typical, low cost-no threat unit people can immediately see it is a trap.

“Tome of Darkness” is another good item, even if you give to a hero who does not otherwise has such spell. As usual, the challenge is that you cannot have it all and need to choose!

Cheers!

A thought for 2250, an allied unit regiment of Hunters of the Wild + a Forest Warden is 250 pts :wink: You’d want to move the Forest Shamblers into allies as well, for the Warden’s surge, but that does mean that none of the Nature crew has inspiring :confused:

Hi @Boss_Salvage!

Definitely an idea worth considering, even without the Inspiring presence. I will check the option for allies anyway, especially with the Uncharted Empires. Just waiting for pdf to be released to explore the options.

How about you? Which faction are you going to focus on under 3rd edition?

Cheers!

Sylvan Kin might be another option for you, but if you want Drakons, you have to play Elf-flavored Elves :dizzy_face:

I need to get some more mileage out of my new crabby Trident Realm, but my two games so far have been pretty disappointing. Frankly, the army was based around Heartpiercer’s having ensnare and me being good at rolling dice, and it worked pretty great! But they don’t have ensnare now (and don’t unlock), and the majority of my army lost attaks (!), leaving me with fewer dice to hurt things with :confused: I have finally arrived at a list I like, which adds in a horde of Water Elementals (I had been trying a Wyrmrider horde but they’re just real bad), but I still need loads of practice. TR feel like one of the weaker factions this time around, when they were definitely gaining power late in 2E.

After that, I was going to finally do Ogres, but I’ll likely rotate back to my Ratkin, the army I started KOW with. They need rebasing and I’ve got some new big things to paint up, however I feel like running something with bodies in this very grindy edition.

EDIT: That said, my Bloodfire did pretty much get better across the board :wink: Love that Flamebound is now an in-game thing. I played a couple of 1k games with a friend who’s new to KOW and smashed him pretty handily - having very hot dice just made it more painful!

1 Like