Nighstalkers 2020 -- All Contrast Paints Project -- Back to the hobby desk after nearly a year

Vanguard is a great game if you’re looking to use these beauties somewhere else without a movement tray :slight_smile:

1 Like

Greetings all,

It’s been some time, super busy with work and also rounding out a few other projects on my painting desk.
But the six Butchers are nearly done for January’s commitment. This is a pic of my gloss coat this morning on the latest three. I experimented with making the transitions a bit smoother on the blue body and hair. It seemed to improve a bit, except for the pink tips on the Cthulhu dreads.
I’ll put on my autumn leaf and grass mixture tomorrow and get a final pic posted after matte-sealing. Then it’s on to some other models, with a much faster due date.
More feedback welcome. Oh, and I’m considering Vanguard @salem, cheers!

Oh, and I tried Gore-Grunta brown for the crotch fur, instead of black on this trio.

1 Like

Completed a Horde of Butchers for January, just in time.
Up next: Spectres

Comments and feedback welcomed

5 Likes

Greetings again,

This month’s project is only 20 Spectres. I decided to take it easier and handle some big creatures later to buff up my points int the challenge.

Here’s a test model, please tell me if you feel a full tray of these would look fitting for a Nighstalker unit.

All contrast paint here since there are no metallics.

Thanks in advance, feedback for improvement welcome as he is the first one before batch painting.

2 Likes

It looks good I think. More crisp than your previous models which had a “shine” which I personally dont appreciate on minis :grin:

2 Likes

I agree @FredOslow. Thanks for encouragement – cheers!

Good looking unit! A couple of simple weapon swaps would be a nice final touch.

2 Likes

Second this - The painting looks absolutely cool, and is in fact hindered by the model poses - which doesn’t make it look bad, but would massively improve by some simple conversions with weapon swaps and/or reposing of the arms. Don’t take that as criticism @Hexcessive , the butchers definitely look cool!

The spectre is coming along nicely too, but please forgive me - it reminds me plants vs zombies :smiley: Not in a bad way, god help me! I LOVE menacing, green glowing things, and a whole unit of them will look great too! Maybe some dark filling structures on the unit base to bring out the contrast, but that’s only my two cents.

1 Like

Greetings everyone,

After a long hiatus and tryst with other games, my friend and I are back to painting our KoW. I thank all of you for the feedback thus far. Fortunately we have practice armies to play while we hobby our passions – Nightstalkers and Goblins for him.

Picking up on a half-painted unit where I left off, I’ve added some brown cloth to the Spectre Troop. If they are going to be wearing visible clothes, the plant-like glowy creatures of the fields certainly wouldn’t be in just blue school-boy uniforms. The way they are sculpted to have halter tops is pretty funny, however.

If I do a Regiment of 20 instead of 10, I’ll add in a third color of cloth to mix it up a bit more.
I’m torn on how to run these, but that is a separate post to explore. Need to make an army list soon, actually.

As for the Lementers Yellow glaze, I am going to give the new Tesseract Glow a try instead! That will be after the white drybrush. So yes, these poor spectres are a hodge-podge of evil experimentation on the palette. But they will arise for death and glory.

Completed pics soon. Cheers.

Nightstalkers done. Not an optimal unit to field I know, but I wanted to finish what I started. All contrast here with the exception of highlights on the tongues (Pink Horror GW) and a light drybrush of Screaming Skull on the ground over the Contrast wyldwood.

Feedback welcomed.

4 Likes

Overall, looks great! If you wanted to take them a bit further, I would suggest adding in some contrasting shadow colors in there. Being all green, they look a little flat. Maybe work some thinned purple or blue around the rib cages under the arms, under the chins, and in the knee areas.

1 Like

That is a good idea. If I do another unit of them for some reason, a darker green under the army and between the legs would be beneficial I agree. Thanks for the feedback! On to a Shade next I think.

1 Like

Greetings. I couldn’t sleep last night, weird dreams, so I got up and embraced my Nightmarish psyche.

Finished this in about an hour, minus basing. Learning how to blend Contrast paints, just a bit, is still a tricky endeavor.
I used standard acrylic on the teeth (GW bone and agrax earthshade).

Let me know if you have any questions, any thoughts, and suggestions for improvement. Thanks everyone.

5 Likes

I know nothing about contrast paint but the end result is looking good :+1:

1 Like

I think it’s quite impressive how much you improved the blending of contrast paints from the first Butchers to this Horror! He looks really cool, even more so for a speed painted mini. I’m looking forward to the next units. Keep upthe good work!

1 Like

Thank you @KptKeno. Part of the better appearance was the texture of the model in comparison to the relatively smooth rounded surfaces of the Butchers. But yes, progress is good.

I look forward to sharing the next bit of work. Cheers.

Greetings @Nav. If you want to discuss here, it is part of my topic so I’m happy to share my thoughts on the benefits and limitations of the Contrast paint range by GW.
Thanks for the props too.

1 Like