Ogre tactics and general discussion 3.0

I don’t wanna be that guy… Who moans about what the RC did to an army before I’ve even played a single game with them. But that said not allowing players to unlock with ogre regiments seems like a big oversight… The lack of monster and titan options (2 each) also doesn’t help… I think we’re gonna see lots of samey lists… I wonder if its just an oversight on the RCs part… But if so… How much were ogres playtested?

I’m brand new to ogres… After playing orks goblins and dwarfs in 2nd Ed… My first list is informed as much with what I already have as opposed to any major tactics… I just wanna play some games… With minimal addition financial investment… But my list is about 10 drops… And grindy

1 Like

Same here, 10 drops max at 2000 points.

I came up with 2 lists that I am planning to use in the weekend. One is with chariots the other without. To be honest I am not completely satisfied with either list.

List 1:

Boomer Horde, Blessing of the Gods
Boomer Horde, Chant of Hate
Hunter Horde, Crocodog
Warrior Horde, Crocodog
Siege Breaker Horde, Staying Stone
2x Red Goblin Scout Sniffs Troop
Grokagamork
Giant
Warlock, Inspiring Talisman

List 2:
Warrior Chariots Legion, Potion of the Caterpillar
Boomer Horde, Blessing of the Gods
Boomer Horde, Chant of Hate
Hunter Horde, Crocodog
Warrior Horde, Crocodog
Siege Breaker Horde
2x Red Goblin Scout Sniffs Troop
Army Standard
Ogre Warlord, Chariot, Crocodog, Blade of Slashing

I will report how the games turned out. Any suggestions or improvements?

Had 2 games in the weekend and used both lists. They work pretty fine and I Had two close games.

List 1 vs. melee heavy NA. Played the looting scenario but I lost 2 to 1 because of a stupid mistake in the movement phase offering a flank at the end of the Game.

List 2 vs shooty Dwarfs. Played scenario #1. He relied too much in shooting, but I was fast and gut hard. I could wipe out his army in the 4th round.

Changes:
Warlock didn’t do anything so I will probably drop him in exchange of an Army Standard + Lute.

Question: How does the Blaster work? ‘Boom’ states that you have to score a hit in melee to explode and route afterwarts.
What happens if someone attacks your Blaster and routes it in melee? Does it do any damage to the enemy unit, because its exploding?

Sadly if they rout a blaster it doesn’t damage them. Sad times.

3 Likes

Correct me if mistaken, but if it is shot and routes- it doesn’t explode either. In 2nd edition you couldn’t mix it in your battle line because it could be shot down and explode- hitting your own units. So that’s gone too.

1 Like

Correct, but I liked that it exploded wherever it was routed.
Do you guys still use the Blaster or have tried it in a list?

1 Like

I’m playing with a pair of them. Mostly for the modelling opportunity. They do make a nice second line wave to mop up stuff that has broken through your ogres. If you can line up a flank or two they’ll knock out most damaged units. Moving really hurts the shooting but if you can manage to get both of them clear shots without moving then they can chip a good few wounds away. The fearless de5 is also pretty nice.

3 Likes

I have only one in 2000 points. Unlike version 2 this one is a mobile shooter that I am still learning to use effectively. Certainly a plinker for taking 2 - 4 wounds per turn of stuff. As it is a goblin unit it does benefit from a biggit leadership. Maybe combine it out on a flank with sniffs or gobbo fast cav backed up by biggit for staying power. Just a thought.

1 Like

I’m a goblin player. I haven’t used it in V3 yet, but only because I haven’t built mine yet. I think the current version is fantastic in its own way.

I have ran up against 2 of them in a recent game and I’ve seen a few games of Ogres using it as well. Also Allied in! Seems like a good use a points. I havent seen any objection that it doesnt “explode” anymore. It is a bit to adjust to when that was relied on. however I think its a more effective piece now. Goblins seem less random and self destructive than before.

Would you pay more points for it to explode with the risk of hurting ones self if it was routed?

Yes I would. I loved the destruction and the challenge to blow up your opponents units and not your’s. However, I’ll give the new version of the Blaster a try.

2 Likes

Looking for some critique on my 2250 list and I hope this is the correct thread for it. I didn’t include points because I’m not sure if thats frowned upon with the books still being new and all.

34 Unit Strength/2250 points
Hunter Horde with crocodogs and Brew of Haste
Hunter Horde with crocodogs and Mead of Madness
Boomer Horde with Fire Oil
2h Warrior Horde
2h Warrior Horde
ASB with Lute
ASB with trickster wand
Boomer Sergeant
Boomer Sergeant
Goblin Blaster
Goblin Blaster
Goblin Blaster
Goblin Rabble Horde
Goblin Rabble Horde
Goblin Scout Reg
Goblin Scout Reg

General Idea is for the 2 Rabble regiments to anchor my center with the warrior hordes and 1-2 blasters behind to kill whatever gets through. The hunters act as warrior chariot regiments, but with pathfinder instead of thunder 2. The Goblin scouts seem like great distraction/flanking units too. Boomer horde and Sergeants are anti flyer/mop up duty.

My concerns are that I only have 2 inspiring sources so i’m not going to be able to cover everything. Also, are a couple drain life warlocks going to serve me better than the boomer sergeants for sustain?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

I much prefer sniffs to scouts. Being multi function and still having viscous in melee means they are a distraction that has to have resources diverted to it.

It may be just me but boomer sgts lose out to warlocks for me in 3ed. Me4 is just not as nice as the me3 on the bsb. And the threat to individuals from boomer shots markes it harder to deal with small fliers. I’m
Definitely looking at a bully to cover the back field and tap things like dragons before sending my blasters in.

If I swap out the boomer sergeants for beresrker bullies and the goblin scout regiments to sniff troops, is it worth it to “upgrade” the 2h warriors to berserker brave hordes? More attacks, but on 4s kind of scares me.

I’m Sure there are better qualified people out there to assess but I really don’t see the point in berserkers. The only thing they have going for them is the fearless aspect. All those attacks are great but with me4 you’re not gaining a huge amount over even warriors. When they are hindered it’s worse and almost parity. The wild charge is nice and I guess there’s a possibility of running a nice amount of synergy with the berserker only heroes. I just can’t find a place for them behind warriors SB or hunters.

Me4 is pretty rough too as shooting hurts them badly. At least with the hunters you can park them in terrain. I know not everyone thinks the same but I’d take hunters over them all day. I’m just resigned to having to eat wavers occasionally so I load up with a staying stone and dwarven ale.

There are also people who swear by boomer sgts. I think as with most things a lot depends on your play style. 24 ra4 p(1) shots is noting to sniff at but the lack of inspiring compared to the bsb means they don’t fill the hole I need.

Is someone using the Mammoth? I really would love to use it but the Giant served me well so far.
Any suggestions why I should take the Mammoth over the Giant?

As much as I would love to champion the mammoth, the giant and the mammoth kinda do the same job. I personally like the mammoth, but it’s a me thing.

3 Likes

I’d like to say smart things about the mammoth - fearless and static 12 attaks are both sweet! - but yea, big elephant feels a little lacking. Sp 8 or 200 points even might help? Part of me wants to run three of them anyway :stuck_out_tongue: Especially with the Reaper Bones mammoth that just kickstarted.