Order of the Green Lady: Advice on a cavalry heavy list

Thanks! Fixed it :slight_smile:
And I see I also didn’t meet the title requirements now I’m on my laptop xD fixed as well.

Hi fang,

I’d suggest trying it out in a few games, that’s the best possible test anyhow. That said, if you’re runnign to the stores to buy your army, I would suggest a few changes:

5 regiments of cavalry without chaff screen might be a little one-dimensional. Besides being very vulnerable to phalanx (how are you going to defeat a spear horde), it’s also very likely to be disrupted by lone heroes or fast cavalry. Your units don’t have crushing strength by themselves, so in case your cavalry gets disrupted, you lose a lot of hitting power.

I would suggest switching out 2 cavalry regiments for some cheaper chaff, unfortunately the order of the green lady doesn’t have access to the brothermark villein skirmishers. Instead, I would suggest including two or three pegasi. (pegasusses??) @ 80 points and mv10 flying, they make great chaff.

Unlocks are of course a thing, which brings me to the next subjext. While the earth elemental regiment seems (on paper) a solid choice due to Defense 6; they will not have a lot of synergy with the rest of your list. The water elementals, however, with their movement of 7 make a good addition, even with shambling.

I’d upgrade at least the regiment to a horde and I might even include a 2nd horde. If I have to leave the avatar of the green lady, so be it. 2 druids + a regiment of redemtption will cover your inspiring needs.

Finally, if after these adustments you have points left over (you should have), you might want to add a beast of nature with wings (and if possible 7 attacks) to get some more threat on the board to help out the cavalry’s alpha strikes.

If you want to go with a healing army, might I suggest taking the Basilean master list? Your cavalry can double as paladins; the druids as priests. The basilean iron resolve and increased nerve has beautiful synergy with healing and most characters on the basilean list can take healing spells. Finally, there’s the phoenix with its radiance of life that will help out a lot.

You’ll lose the elementals, but instead you will gain the phoenix and elohi that can help out. Basileans makes a great grinding/healing army. Here’s mine based on this concept:

good luck and keep us informed how things go.

1 Like

Thanks for the detailed feedback!

I happened to see a deal on some cavalry I like and felt inspired to do a cav heavy army but tempered myself by posting here before buying anything :wink: So very open to feedback!

The pegasus idea sounds pretty neat and I like the theme, do you have any suggestions for models? I unfortunately don’t have the stats yet, so I’ll have a look at the chaff options when I do. The forest critters sound thematic but I have no idea if they are fast enough to stay ahead of the cavalry.

I was worried about the earth elementals being too slow to keep up indeed, it is more of the limitation of me having only 1 regiment of each elemental type (and no hordes). I’ll definitely think about including more water elementals to replace the earth ones at some point if I like the army!

I’m gunna think about it some more and see if I can get a copy of the book from a local shop if they have it.

Vince has some good advice.
Also, the items which give Pathfinder and Strider respectively would be a great fit for a Cav army I assume.

1 Like

I think EEs could be great for holding objectives in your backyard. Takes a lot to take them down, and if your opponent spend time on that, your Cav is running wild. Only sad part is that they will not contribute to the fight.

1 Like

Fireforge Games makes an ‘Albion knights on pegasus’ kit that would probably be the best value… you can use the riders for bits to spice up your other cavalry units, or to mount on something else to make a different type of Cav. or just leave the riders on the pegasi to make them fit into the visual theme more.
the Albion line also has some regular cav with the same aesthetics.

their historicals line has a Military Orders line that would mix well… the parts are largely the same (letting you mix and match) and the Teutonic knights kits have similar helmets.

reaper minis makes some pegasi models, including a paladin on pegasus, but they are all metal figures still and very very pricy. (for the cost of one reaper paladin on pegasus, you can buy a whole box of 4 of the fireforge ones)

1 Like

The Albion pegasus is out of stock again for now. When I was building my brotherhood army, I’ve tried to buy this set for three months or something (they were moving offices back then) and my interest in painting up more knights waned before they were in stock again. I hope they restock sooner this time.

That said, I did buy the reaper tempest pegasus (currently assembled and primed) which is realy a nice model. Sadly, unusable in forces of nature as the rider’s legs are in one part with the pegasus itself. This might be an alternative.

As for Morofang’s question: go ahead and buy the cavalry! Human cavalry can be used as any number of models, be it basilea, brotherhood, kingdoms of men and league of rhordia, so there’s plenty of options there. I am a fan of the KoW 3rd edition factions of Kingsdoms of Men, Basilea and League of Rhordia. Order of the green lady seems nice enough if you like the combination of human cavalry and elemental forces. Order of the Brothermark, hoewever, is a bit disappoitning. Here’s why:

That said, there’s three (four if you count the order of the green lady) factions which happily use human cavalry and they seems quite competetive compared to other units.

Vince

1 Like

Good tip, I’ll definitely try that out and see how it feels. 130 points doesn’t seem too bad for holding an objective.

A very good point, the banner of the green lady helps one unit but it probably would be useful to get more than one. I’ll keep points bookmarked for getting that when I’m planning

Haha the things I saw the deal on were actually Teutonic knights and Templar knights from fireforge so this is a good tip, too bad the pegasus they’re out of stock everywhere I look as well…

I was looking at these the other day when you first suggested pegasi, they look amazing but the price is just too steep at the moment. I’ll have to really think about it.

I’ll probably do that this weekend if the deal is still there xD Definitely feeling inspired by the idea of a cavalry line, especially since my fiancee has been taking over my twilight kin list I was slowly building over the second edition (she is a huge fan of dark elves). The deal has enough for 4 minimal units of riders on plain horses and 4 minimal units of riders on barded horses. I really like the barded horses aestethic more though.

@all Thanks for the advice! I’ll definitely think about it this weekend, and maybe play some mock games to get a feel for the units. I’ll let you all know how it goes.

I don’t know; if it’s just holding an objective; why not just field a 70-point troop of retainers? If you upgrade this to a regiment, it’s still only 105 points and they even unlock, move at the double and they have more nerve than the elementals.

The benefit of the earth elementals are their defense of 6 combined with being fearless, making them a superior anvil. Their CS of (1) also gives them an edge in dealing with high defense units. Finally, combined with a druid, they can even pull off flank charges or guard against nimble fliers like undead do.

Most of these advantages are wasted in a fast-hitting cavalry army. As objective holders, take a troop of retainers for half the points (hell, take two for 140) and spend the remainder of points upgrading your main battle units or (if unlocks are strangling) upgrading the retainers to a regiment.

Still, just an ordinary guys’ opinion. I love earth elementals as allies in my human armies (allying in a defense 6 anvil rocks) but they do have a very specific purpose.

Unfortunately most of the barded horses were gone so I decided to pass on the rest. So gonna put this on the back-burner for a bit. I might get some Albion’s knights at some point, as I really like this idea.

After looking at the book, the main things I would change are swapping the druids for devoted (which completely escaped my attention somehow the first time around) and removing 1 regiment for two pegasi (unlocks are a problem). The sacred water key word upgrades + mounted devoted w/ radiance of life (sacred water) is cheaper than a green lady, (or if I want two 6" heal bubbles). I thought of a cool multi-base idea for a water elemental horde so will probably do that. Earth elementals versus foot troops I’m going to leave for what it is right now, though the foot troop regiment helps with the unlocks so I am leaning towards that option.

So something like this (I really want atleast 5 units of cavalry themewise, and just accept that phalanx heavy armies counter it):
Army: Order of the Green Lady
Unit Strength: 21

210, Order of the Brotherhood Regiment
Vial of Sacred Water
Vial of Sacred Water
225, Order of the Brotherhood Regiment
Vial of Sacred Water
Banner of the Green Lady
220, Water Elemental Horde
70, Men-at-Arms Retainer Troop
270, Order of Redemption Regiment
Maccwar’s Potion of the Caterpillar
265, Order of Redemption Regiment
Sir Jesse’s Boots of Striding
80, Pegasus
80, Pegasus
100, Devoted
Radiance of Life (Sacred Water only)
Forest Steed
85, Devoted
Surge (7)
185, Avatar of the Green Lady

Or skipping the elementals entirely:
Unit Strength: 22

375, Order of the Brotherhood Horde
Blade of Slashing
Vial of Sacred Water
Banner of the Green Lady
Vial of Sacred Water
Vial of Sacred Water
145, Order of the Brotherhood Regiment on Foot
80, Pegasus
80, Pegasus
80, Pegasus
100, Devoted
Forest Steed
185, Avatar of the Green Lady

How do you guys feel about these?

Thanks for all the advice, I’ll post something up when I pick this project up again in the future!

I like the first of the new lists, with the water elemental horde, many smart choices. However I do wonder about the two devoteds, I think you could combine them into one with radiance + surge + steed. As it is that one is just a heal bot (and not a very high heal) and the other sprints after the water elementals hoping to surge them 1-2 times a game. Also why the men-at-arms troop? If you want pure chaff, what about the woodland critter swarms from Nature?

Once the damsels are combined and that troop nixed, you’ve got 130 points to play with, which buys a lot of good things. Could be a men-at-arms regiment (still chaffy but has lots of unit strength to throw around), a third pegasus, a unicorn (!), a mounted exemplar, a druid with bane chant, shroud for the devoted to go to heal (6), lute of bane chanting for somebody (possibly a mounted exemplar :wink: ), etc, etc.

1 Like

I have been playing around with a similar list. With the split between green lady and brother mark we lost the mid chaff. Certainly Pegasus is a replacement but as you know unlocks are a problem. Math hammer time 18 attacks hitting on 3s is 14 hits , TC 1 is wounding on 4s therefore 7 wounds. Most main battle line units are 15/17 therefore 10 to kill. Average remember is 7 so you generally even miss waiver.
Therefore you need two units (combined charge) to pop 1.
Consider that in you build cause you are going to need to grind against spear hordes.
Peg knights are a flank marvel as is hero peg cav. Combined flank charges pop everything in the game.
Therefore as much as you want an all cav army I suggest you need at least 1 big infantry anvil unit that can grind for at least 2 turns IOT allow flank charges.
Green lady lists are more about subtle rapier strikes than sledgehammer to the face tactics. You need the space and instinct for speed and strike and definitely not grind. I therefore agree with WE over EE. No range attacks also means you need to plan for back field play to remove longe range threat. Flyers are your friend in that regard. But whilst they are removing WE they are not supporting your battle line cav units by providing flank protection or flank attacks to give you that 10+ wound factor needed to pop units and avoid grinding.
One big factor in your favour is speed (and therefore mobility) . Use this to your advantage. An unwary player will set up poorly and by turn two you are in their face. Also consider a false deployment. Set up in one area but March move your whole force to another. Rats and gobbos cannot adjust and can get taken out Piecemeal at locations of your choosing. I look forward to your reports.

1 Like

I was a bit worried about putting too many things on one character, though I would enjoy freeing up some points. I’ll probably drop the extra though, thanks for the tip!

Point filler with models I own (critters is a bit harder). Freeing up points from the devoted means I’ll drop this and think about better options. (Like you suggested). Lots of fun suggestions as replacement!

Awesome advice, thanks!
Is the infantry suggestion in lieu of the water elementals or in combination with them? The WE feel a bit expensive compared to the infantry in general after looking at the stat blocks.
I’ll look into some pegasus knights, as they sound pretty fun for moving about the battlefield to mess up the enemies plans.

Hi, I saw this thread and literally created an account just to comment about it.

I ran a cavalry heavy 1500 points list last weekend for great effect against undead.

IMHO the order of the green lady has the best cavalry in the game. The redeemers, everything about them is insane. SO a cavalry heavy list should focus on just having as many redeemers as possible and some anvils to support them with.

A great thing about redeemers is that them being inspiring allows you to save on heroes at least 75 points(the mounted inspirer is redundant if half your army auto inspires)

So you should focus on getting 1 or 2 anvils and then redeemers all the way. Luckily we have access to one of the greatest anvils on the game Earth Elementals. And they are regulars, thus helping with unlocks.

My last list was literally 4 units of redeemers and 2 hordes of elementals no heroes or anything else. It went great, elementals held the line and redeemers crushed anything they charged to bits.

On 2000 points I think you can extend that train of thought and go for 5 regiments of redeemers and 3 hordes of Elementals.

I you want an even more cavalry heavy list. You have the men at arms retainer hordes which allow 4 units of redeemers to be deployed. So maybe 2 hordes and 6 units of redeemers could be a thing.

If you just want to go full cav and despise infantry you could do the following do one horde of order of the brotherhood with the banner of the green lady obviously, then 4 units of redeemers, then one of each until you reach the established point cost of the match. This should allow extra points for objects that could make your redeemers extra useful for certain situations. Caterpillar and boots of striding are a must, then the brews of stenght and speed are more situational.

I do think an all cavalry list can be built and be pretty brutal, you just need to remember redeemers are the wheat, brotherhood are the chaff. Which also applies if you want a more balanced approach don’t waste points on brotherhood knights unless it’s a horde with banner of the green lady of you absolutely need unlocks, they are so much less compared to redeemers that to use them when unlocks are available just feels in inefficient.

Granted dealing with spears might be annoying, but most of the time you either have a high volume of base attacks or you are pulling flank charges.

2 Likes

In Kings of War, the sollution is never to spam a single unit.

While the Order of Redemption is a decent unit, it also got its disadvantages. It’s 250 (!) points for a regiment with no inherrent Crushing Strength. Furthermore, they are irregular, so you’ll be needing other stuff to unlock.

If you want to go the earth elementals + redemption road; taking 2 hordes of earth elementals + 4 regiments of redemption, you’re very close to your 1,500 points. (1,440) While it will perform against some armies (especially slower armies where you can utilise your Thunderous Charge); imagine facing an army with a dragon or two…

Furthermore, you’re losing one of the main advantages of your cavalry (speed) when waiting for your movement 5 shambling anvils to move into position. What if your opponent brought a pair of cannons?

So, while I don’t disagree with the assessement that the Order of Redemption is a good unit, spamming then won;t solve anything. Other than that, there’s little synergy between earth elementals and Redemption cavalry. So, I respectfully disagree with you.

Finally, the main advantage of a mounted army standard is that he can be in the place where you want (that 6" bubble is quite small) and you can put a lute on him. Or a heal. Or whatever you want.

1 Like

I have been retesting the order of the green lady this weekend in universal battles and I have to say, all cavalry can certainly work under the correct situation. I got beaten by an all cav basilean list when i was playing my all hurscarl northern alliance army, in what can be described as hasting 2.0(die didnt help at all when it came to surviving the charge or counter attacking)

And then i ran my green lady against undead in a 2000 points battle with 5 redeemers and 2 brotherhood units, in a match that ended in a close defeat, mainly due to having bad rolls in relevant situation(when you get 7 hits hitting on 3+ and a 2 double 1 in a row you really are in a bad day)

But then i ran a more balanced all cavalry list, that added the order of the forsaken to the roster.
This was my list

Unit Count: 8

Unit Strength: 25

370, Order of the Brotherhood Horde

Vial of Sacred Water

Banner of the Green Lady

200, Order of the Brotherhood Regiment

250, Order of Redemption Regiment

250, Order of Redemption Regiment

260, Order of the Forsaken Horde

Healing Brew

The idea was to build my army in two battlegroups, one with all the pathfinder units in the more densely packed with terrain side of the board, that is to say one battlegroup had the horde, the pathredeemmers and another unit of brotherhood juts in case, whereas the other one acted as a weak flank with just one of redeemers and 2 brotherhood units.
A unit of redeemers and the forsaken were left in reserve in the center of the field to act as a mobile interception force that could support either battlegroup. Plan went tremendously well, with both flanks pulling off a great kill count at the expense of only 2 orders of the brotherhood units, that acted ad chaff for my redeemers to pull off charges and the forsaken being able to pull of flank charges against enemies of both battlegroups.

I still think redeemers are not decent, they are exceptional, but indeed you cant spam 5 of them and call it a day, forsaken can be great too and brotherhood serves as chaff so your redeemers dont get charged before they can go all lethal. Think about it this way Redeemers are not 250 points, they are 175, since a unit of redeemers makes an inspiring mounted hero redundant(in fact its better than the hero since his bubble is bigger). For those 175 points you are getting a high volume of attacks and regeneration. there is simply no cavalry that is more cost effective in the game. True you dont get access to the lute like you do in a mounted hero, but i would definitely trade that of for more direct killing power.

1 Like

Hello there, I´m continuing my crusade to make full cav a thing in universal battle. Right now im taking part in a league and i have a record of 3 wins, and 2 very close loses.

This is the list I´m running

Unit Count: 8

Unit Strength: 22

410, Order of the Brotherhood Horde

Brew of Strength

Vial of Sacred Water

Banner of the Green Lady

230, Order of the Brotherhood Regiment

Blessing of the Gods

Vial of Sacred Water

Vial of Sacred Water

Vial of Sacred Water

275, Order of the Forsaken Horde

Pipes of Terror

Vial of Sacred Water

130, Devoted

Shroud of the Saint

Forest Steed

www.goodarmylists.com

I have found that the secret to running all cav is to play in a very “patient hunter” style of gaming, waiting until you can pull off charges that will give you at least a 70% succes rate. I generally get those on turn 3 or 4. With me even passing some turns or using them to move sideways or backwards to ensure i get multiple charges on a unit.

Green lady plays a deceptively casttle like style of gaming, and yes getting charged is not at all bad with this band of knights. Since insane ammounts of healing and headstrong ensure the attack will bounce off many times. A secret I have found with green lady is organizing the cavalry in waves and compact them into one side of the board instead of trying to spread out. Being very maneuvrable seriously helps a lot to be able to run tight formations.

In objective based games DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT attempt to get all the objectives just focus on getting one more than your oponent and place them out of reach of them with your superior maneuvers and extra toughness.

I’m a veteran dwarf player and I’m playing this guys precisely like very fast dwarves with a " if you dont kill me in your charge you will suffer the worst strikes back"

One final note is run the pegasus on either the centers or the extreme corners of the board. They will get the job done as a mobile strike force to defend your castle against glass cannons.

The only thing we are missing is a cheap cavalry chaff, though admittedly we might not need them considering our line calvary can work as chaff that can do things.

2 Likes

I love reading your experiences with this idea! Something about universal battle put me off when I tried it months ago, I think it’s probably just not having the time to learn how to use it efficiently enough that I didn’t feel like I was wasting other’s time.

Your posts definitely inspire me for making this a reality in the future, thank you @Caverius_Rex!

Personally I think chasing game performance is a waste of time. Editions change things so much, and in a few years time there is bound to be a 4th edition. Always buy models based on whether you like them or not, basing purchases on game performance is futile.

I agree with you. The reason I asked this months ago was as an additional check and balance for me. I love so many models that I see, that it can’t be the only filter for me. In order to temper me from jumping on any deal I see on models I really would enjoy painting, I set an extra that I have to realistically be able to use them in both the short and long term, if that makes sense.
If I have to buy models I don’t like, then it cancels the whole thing for me, even the ones I do like thus saving me space, time and hobby budget if something else shows up. Its how I kicked my kickstarter urges :stuck_out_tongue: (my tk has one or two models I am a bit meh on because they came with a kickstarter for example)

Just trying to avoid making a ‘pile of shame’ of unfinished projects ^.^