Orlaf 's raiders

Given the recent release of Cavern Dweller by Mantic, which used to only be available through the Dungeon Saga, has anyone heard anything about releasing one or both of the Mantic versions of Orlaf the Barbarian, given the recent Formation upgrade to Kings of War

1 Like

the Dweller is available separately, no clue is Orlaf is going to reappear

2 Likes

They have managed to release some models though. I.e the Ice Queen, the Cavern Dweller, Ice Blade. And there is the whole formation concept. What is the point of putting Orlaf as the leader of the unit if he isn’t available to buy, either separately or as a kit with him and the rest of the unit? Hopefully they will find a way to resolve the problem otherwise, they would have been better off to select different models for the formation like the Ice Blade and some half elf berserkers

1 Like

You can sometimes get the 4 Dungeon Saga Heroes on Ebay still (both the plastic and the metal versions) :slightly_smiling_face: Is worth a look!

1 Like

The legendary versions of the heros used to be abailable on the mantic site but not there any more I don’t think :frowning:

1 Like

Right, let’s explain.

This is kind of backwards. Orlaf is from Dugeon Saga (and coincidentily the only model in this thread from that game). He was given rules in KoW so in case anyone had bought the box game or the Legendary Heroes of Dolgarth, they would be able to field their mdoel in this game too. It wasn’t really intended to be done vice versa.

I have looked into it today and the mold for the Heroes of Dolgarth is quite dead (as in, doesn’t produce nice models anymore) so will need to be redone in the future. I don’t know when that will be done. Orlaf is still available in Dungaon Saga: the Dwarf King’s Quest, although he cannot be seperated from this for sale. I can apprecite that that doesn’t really help in this situation.

For the time being, I’d recommend looking aorund for stock of the Legendary Heroes or someone selling the individual model on its own. Of course, there’s nothing to stop you from using another model in its place, so long as your clear with your opponent - many of the NA heroes would do the trick. I’ll see what can be done behind the scenes to make the LHoD available again.

7 Likes

Many thanks @Dave Dave, bravo on clarifying that for me.
I do like the KoW version of Orlaf, even before the formation, but currently use a Norse Bloodbowl model for my own Orlaf. I have been tempted to buy the Dungeon Saga kit just to get the Orlaf model, but to date, i’ve always ended up buying a different item whenever i’ve been browseing the website.

3 Likes

if you’re not planning on getting DS in the near future mate which one would you prefer the standard barbarian or the armoured legendary version?

I’ve got both so pick one… I need the other for DS :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ooh tough choice @Gerrcinn . Both are sweet, but I’d probably choose the Legendary one if pushed

@Dave presumably it is for similar reason that a number of the models from some of the Vanguard kits (huscarls, berserkers etc) and LoI game (baby drakons) aren’t/won’t be available?

Their inclusion in KoW is more a by product/add on - and since they made along with various other models/parts separating them isn’t viable?

2 Likes

That’s more complicated.

LoI is yes with a *.

*but I think there’s an intention to look at doing something with those should Elves get a launch. Won’t know until that happens, if it happens.

Northern Alliance was about maximising the range with what resources were available at the time. The alternative would have been not including those units in the army at all. There were plans in the past to do a separate release but finding the time and resources to do it has been difficult. You’ll notice we managed it with the Nightstalkers after launch.

3 Likes

Just found a copy of Legendary Orlaf on ebay > Mantic Legendary Orlaf the Barbarian metal on sprue | eBay

1 Like

Thanks @Boss_Salvage , I just bought another Northern Alliance army set, so i’ll have to wait for a bit, but its good to know that they are out there

2 Likes