Painting topic - already August

Being super busy lately so I haven’t painted in about a month. Slowly continuing to work on my Undead project.
Viking Skeleton Hulk for the Zombie trolls is coming along.
Speed paint base coat of the Boneclaw that will join Zombie Legion #1.

It’s been interesting playing with my phone settings to edit these. I need to drop the saturation by about 30% to get closer to true colour and cause it automatically pumps it up so much for basic photo taking.

10 Likes

That Viking Troll Skeleton thing looks awesome, sweet sculpt and nicely painted.

1 Like

Infernox done - went for part golem, part dwarf, part machine look

8 Likes

@Mikes Yeah I got the Pegasus myself last year and I can’t say I really like the model, it’s built up but I could not base it and I haven’t bothered with it since, no offence to Mantic I’m loving the rest of their undead range just not this. If I do use at any point I’m gonna pretend it is a Halfling vampire on a juvenile Pegasus due to it’s small size.

2 Likes

Mhhh … a (Vampire) halfling rider on a Pegasus eh? Now you’re giving me ideas @coOk_pAss_BaBtridge

… especially since I’ve got this little guy leading my Undead army already right now! :rofl:

Will have to check this out and look for a Halfing rider that might pass as a vampire :grin:

9 Likes

3 Likes

Guess who got his rider just before tournament weekend… gonna do some final touchups and check the superglue didn’t mess any colors up where parts connect and then start to worry about how to transport this thing.

Will take some more pics once I’m done touching up and happy with everything. :grin:

9 Likes

Thanks Nav! Lots to do. I’ve been experimenting with some non-metallic metal and I definitely should have picked a smaller model for a first attempt.

1 Like

It seems to me that if you paint a sword grey, and even highlight the edge in white, then glaze it with a wash to make it shine, you will get a metal effect with no metal particles trashing your good brushes.
I seem to remember using a similar method before when i ran out of metal for armour…

Test stage one

2 Likes

Test results, first Army Painter AK11212 Gun Metal

second is Citadel Adeptus Battlegrey foundation and polished off with a homemade wash with Pledge floor polish base to give a light sheen

5 Likes

Test model for the reaper/gargoyle conversions done

6 Likes

Golems and mastiffs finished

8 Likes

Dragon all completed now and even got him to a tournament on the weekend and returned without any damage :grin: Been quite the journey since I started painting this in Novemember! :

Some more pics of the completed piece:

12 Likes

Great dragon, just an extremely solid piece. The rider is really nice as well and tasty contrast against the beige beast.

2 Likes

Mices

4 Likes

Thanks @Boss_Salvage , appreciate it :slightly_smiling_face: Been working at it long enough! :laughing:

1 Like

Doing some touch ups after finding some interesting additions within my bits box, such as a leaf crown for my Roman General and a nifty blade for my version of a Northern Alliance Thegn Standard Bearer with Talanaar’s Standard.

I’m Awaiting a delivery of Warlord Games Starter pack of Vikings and a Longshop, to bolster my Northern Alliance army or blend into a Varangur army

7 Likes

Dravak Dalkan and Ba’su’su conversions, plus a shot of the AD stuff finished in May.

9 Likes

First of the gargoyles done

8 Likes

Got a couple of Revenants in various stages of progress, about halfway done overall. Nice change of pace after the huge time investment with the Dragon.

I’ve also been experimenting with building units, trying to decide what’s next for the Undead, once I’m done with the Revenants. Got another 6 Werewolves built and also been looking at Wights.

But I didn’t really want to build those huge Metal Mantic Wights I’ve had laying around for ages … too bulky/clumsy looking imho. Looking at available models and especially what I had already laying around, this is what I came up with:

Really dig the Vanguard Barrow Wight model, so got 2 more and also another Darkskull the Cursed. Did some small variations (clipped wings on one Darkskull especially) and used some extra weapons curtesy of some poor Soul Reaver and Revenant Cav. models who are now weaponless :laughing: Cheaped out on a 3rd Darkskull (those are hard to find outside of a full League of Infamy pledge …) and used the statue for variety. And hey… it’s actually still all Mantic :grin:

Not sure how to paint them yet, with the flames and all, but I’m kinda keen to try :wink:

10 Likes