Painting topic - already August

Nice.

When it comes to LI units, if mantic don’t have something i like/think is decently priced, I often head over to Para Bellum Conquest stuff to have a browse.

They have some nice looking undead type models

1 Like

Loving those Gargoyles @Sceleris

1 Like

Free Dwarf Berserker Lord in his new helmet

3 Likes

WIP Longship

I had considered making a diarama base of the ship as a horde base, but it’s too big even for a legion base. Scale wise though it is close to perfect at 1:50 for 28mm models.

6 Likes

WIP Longship with base colour on the hull and mast and some rigging on. It was a no brainer to select the base coat browns. I opted for the Scalecolor Artist Burnt Sienna and Raw Sienna. The heavy pigment and texture made them ideal for a wet pallet and thin layer, not being too perfect about the hull, brushing with the grain. After a wash, the hulk should be a rich chestnut tone

8 Likes

Nav this looks so awesome! Definitely would be a bucket list project for me. The colour is super rich and the shields look really good.

1 Like

Thanks @Findol . It is an army concept that I’ve been dabbling in for some time, so it’s great to have finally bit the bullet on it. My greatest challenge will be to pace myself and not rush it. It’s never going to be painted to perfection, i know my limits, and my Parkinson’s will eagerly remind me if i forget. Nevertheless, with the new painting headset i can at least see what i’m doing and make a decent effort at it.
I love diarama bases, and boats within my modelling; love doing water features, so there is a lot to consider. Hopefully, i can figure a way to make a 380 mm x 100 mm longship into a horde or legion base. (If not, then it will be a nice bit of themed scenery . ) I’m thinking of either a beaching or maybe a stormy seascape with the ship cutting through waves almost as high as the sail. …
The Warlord Games Viking Bondi and Hirdmen miniatures come with a multitude of arms, many of which are weaponless , so potentially, I can make 30-45+ rowers using the Bondi, on the basis that they wouldn’t be wearing full armour while rowing. (I’ll have to see if i can reposition legs to sitting rather than standing, … gulp!)

3 Likes

Size comparison when next to my Goblin Rabble pirate ship. If i can make the seascape high enough to rise over normal units, or make a proxy replacement for combat to give its actual size, it might work

6 Likes

Decided to build a pharaoh on a chariot using a Liche model I got for Mantic Points.

8 Likes

… and a finished catapult.

14 Likes

loving that model @MiSiO_1

1 Like

5 Likes

Still in the brainstorming phase for my Undead sort of … and this would be another centerpiece option:

Dungeons and Lasers Undead Dragon , with a Mantic Vampire Dragon Rider on top … makes my painting fingers itch! :laughing: (Lots of hobbyknife whittling was required.)

Still undecided on what route to go though: All Mantic Revenant King on Undead Great Flying Wurm … this as Vampire on Undead Dragon … or maybe just go all in on Infantry / Large Infantry, which would be the easiest to transport.

8 Likes

Lovely D&L dragon as always.

6 zombie regiments gives you morgoth, 2 vampires on pegs, 2 vampires on dragons and a revenant king on flying wyrm with sharpness for 1990pts :wink:

2 Likes

6 Likes

Few more berserkers done

5 Likes

Painting up a second tree herder. She’s taking a while, but I’m starting to feel happy about the miniature.

11 Likes

I think you might be your own worse critic, and i mean that in a good way @MechaSturgeon . That tree herder is a thing of beauty!

2 Likes

Thanks @Nav .

I think it’s got something to do with hyper focusing on one region and not seeing the mini as a whole. Once enough things are highlighted, and I can get an idea of the final product, I start to feel happier!

2 Likes

I can very much relate to that @MechaSturgeon , although i’m the conplete opposite. I tend to use Tabletop ready as a rule of thumb, but are trying to ask myself, Is this the best I can achieve? So rather than putting the model aside and saying, “next!” i’m taking the time to let it sit near at hand and maybe dabble a bit more.
I’m learning to sleep on my decisions, and finding renewed focus.

1 Like