Some issues with Vanguard

Also a big boost for those that can make a free breakaway like some Basileans for instance, or the Goblin sneak.

In our game yesterday, a question came up concerning the Buckler item.

My understanding is that knocked-down models cannot use Buckler as all attacks against them are considered from the rear arc. Is it correct?

And a related question came to my mind. How exactly a combination of 6th sense and knocked-down works. Are the attacks against a knocked-down model with a 6th sense still considered to be from the rear arc. I would say yes as 6th sense speaks about turning the model facing to apply, but I am not so sure on this one. In fact, I consider 6th sense be be a rather weak ability, so it might be better to reword it not to require the change of facing and apply to knocked-down models too.

6th sense starts with “A standing model…”. So knocked down models can’t use it. Buckler I’ll have to go find my card and check the text, but knocked down models are always attacked in the rear.

1 Like

Thanks. In between, I already found out the Buckler question is answered in FAQ. It is as I thought, its parry cannot be used when the model is knocked-down. This is fine as our group thinks the item is quite good.

On the other hand, as I said, it would be nice if the 6th sense got improved.

3 Likes

We have got another Buckler/Parry related question. :slightly_smiling_face:

My opponent rolled for melee attack against my model with a buckler, scoring some hits including two 1s that were re-rolled successfully thanks to Vicious. I said, I use the Parry provided by the Buckler on one of the successful re-rolls. The question is can my opponent re-roll the die again. I would say no, as the two re-rolls are not allowed, so the Parry on a re-rolled die blocks the success. After the game I looked in the FAQ and the answer to question 1.1 says that Parry cannot be used on a re-rolled die. Is it really meant this way, I would rather invalidate the second re-roll, not the use of Parry/Dodge ability itself.

1 Like

You can’t reroll a reroll. It’s right up the front of the book in it’s own box. If your opponent rerolled a die using Vicious, that die can’t be rerolled again from anything, including your Parry.

3 Likes

Thanks for the response! Yeah, I sure know about the rule that forbids more than one re-roll. That’s exactly I base my arguing on. It seems logical to me that one should get the parry on a re-rolled successful hit but the opponent does not get the re-roll, so the hit gets parried without a second re-roll coming into effect. On the other hand, when checking again the exact wording of Parry, I see your logic now …

1 Like

When your opponent rolls a 1, it’s not a hit, so you can’t reroll that dice with Parry. When your opponent rerolled the die with vicious and becomes a hit, it’s a rerolled die, and you can’t reroll it with Parry. So there’s no window on that die where you can get a Parry in.

3 Likes