The current Advanced Play Guide / forumfaq

Welcome to the Advanced Play Guide / forumfaq.
The helpful rules supplement for rules which often come up, but which have not found their way into an FAQ.

Here is some info:

• Some of these have been answered by the RC but has not made it into the FAQ, and so keep appearing on Fanatics or other places.
  • Some have not been answered (as far as I can tell).

Q: Does a corner always count as both facings, so if my unit started its charge in the flank facing, but is only able to connect flush to the front facing (including the corner), does it count as a successful flank charge?
A: Yes
(pick up and place in the flank)
discussion thread

• not answered 100% clear in the Big Red Book.

2 (RESOLVED)
Q: Can I declare a new Charge (not speaking about Countercharge) while being engaged, even if I am not able to Withdraw first?
A: Yes. ¤RESOLVED¤ in the Big Red Book (2022) page 18. The Disengaging section specifically mentions that engaged units are allowed to be given any movement order.
This may be done either to leave the current melee and charge into another one, or simply move out if your unit has enough movement to end up outside 1" of the previous enemy. Or it can be done to stay in the same melee as you are currently in, but if the state of where your leader point is when compared to the enemy’s arcs, your unit may find itself in a position where it can either declare a countercharge and go into the front as normal, or it may declare a new charge and go into the flank for instance, if its leader point happens to be in the flank because of units shuffling around after a series of countercharges.
discussion thread (same as the previous)

Q: Can a disengaging unit ignore the one inch zone of any nearby enemies if it started its turn already closer to them than one inch?
A: No, it may only ignore the one inch zone of the single unit from which it is disengaging. The move must still end outside one inch of said unit.
(voted on by forum members, 76% majority)

• not yet written clearly in the Big Red Book. If a disengaging unit must follow the normal rules about staying 1" apart from all enemies during its move (except when charging) it would be following the normal limitations when moving during a disengage. let’s use the example of a unit moving at the double out of its current engagement if it was engaged in its flank, for instance. it would need to stop if encountering any one inch zones, and if not able to clear its previous enemy with a full one inch, the move would be illegal.
  • however, if taking the rules very literally and reading that a unit “ignores 1” while disengaging" it would be able to rocket boost through any and all nearby units as long as it does not touch them, and as long as it ends up outside 1" at the end of its move, exactly as if it was charging, even when it was doing an at the double out of its current engagement. The latter does, for most people, seem like the wrong option.

4 (RESOLVED)
Q: Can a unit do a Withdraw move if it ends up within one inch of any enemy?
A: No, not even if the enemy was already within one inch. ¤RESOLVED¤ on page 27 in the Big Red Book (2022).

5 (RESOLVED)
Q: If during a charge, my unit is unable to connect to the enemy by going straight ahead, how much/little do I pivot to line my unit up against the enemy, before continuing to move into contact?
A: ¤RESOLVED¤ on page 19 in the Big Red Book (2022): “If necessary, at any point during this move, the unit may perform a single pivot around their centre of up to 90º. This pivot should be performed at the earliest possible point during the move in order to make it a legal charge, while also pivoting the smallest amount required which will allow it to make contact with the correct enemy facing with the remaining movement.”

8 Likes

Question about Disengaging and one inch zones updated to reflect the forum member vote! :slight_smile:

List updated for the Big Red Book (2022).

1 Like