The Elven way: A Tale of Gaming updated 13/10/23 Game 22 v New Twilight Kin

Elf List Changes

With the new Big Red Book released it seems a good time to switch from my Dragon list back to one of my other main lists. My Seaguard list hasn’t been impacted much by the new book whereas my 3rd list (I tend to call it classic or Red Era as I’m painting a completely new army for it) has seen a big points drop as I already took several of the units which benefited from changes. So the new and improved version of the list looks like this.

Mage (Alenui): Inspiring Talisman, Bane Chant, Lightning Bolt, Celestial Restoration: 170pts

Mage (Eldroth): Lightning Bolt, Conjurers Staff, Bane Chant: 125pts

King (King Paweldran): Horse, Shardblade, Blade of the Beast Slayer: 170pts

Drakon Lord (Amarynth): Pipes of Terror: 170pts

Spearmen Horde: Brew of Strength: 270pts

Palace Guard Horde: Chalice of Wrath: 280pts

Quicksilver Regiment: Jesse’s Boots: 250pts

Stormwind Regiment: Brew of Sharpness: 245pts

Silverbreeze Troop: Piercing Arrow: 125pts

Silverbreeze Troop: 115pts

Forest Guard: Skirmisher Boots: 115pts

Forest Guard: 105pts

Bolt Thrower: 80pts

2300pts

This is a list I’ve been running since the very start of 3rd ed there’s only been a couple of minor tweaks since then mainly through new options via the various CoK updates.

The new Big Red Book made 2 major changes 1) the pathfinder item was no longer available so I’d need to find a new option for one of my Cavalry units as the automatic default item had been removed. 2) I had 60 extra points available from various points reductions.

The first change was which item to pick on the Stormwind Cavalry (I moved Sir Jessie’s booties to the Quicksilver Cavalry for the odd occasion I wanted to use pathfinder). Stormwind are a solid unit but have numerous weaknesses my main thoughts were that I either boost their damage potential or add some waver protection. With extra points to burn I decided to go with Brew of Sharpness as I could Bane Chant the unit I had the potential to hit in 2’s re-rolling misses and wound on 2s against def 5 and below. It also helps reduce the impact of being hindered given I no longer had access to pathfinder.

That change spent 15 of my 60pts. I’m currently painting up my list and wasn’t keen on the idea of trying to squeeze and extra or bigger unit on to my painting schedule. A piercing Arrow on the Silverbreeze has always worked out as a good value so I was happy to add this back in. Then finally I wanted a big spell to add some variety to my list to counter an area of weakness either the lack of healing or something strong against defence 6 units were my main concerns. I decided Alchemists curse would obviously work well so decided to try Celestial Restoration first so that’s I could judge how impactful it would be.

Further Changes

Having had one game with the list above I learned that Celestial Restoration was indirect meaning it can’t target within 12 which would frequently be a problem so that’s definitely getting dropped. Rather than adding Alchemist Curse in its place I decided to go another route and swap out a Forest Guard troop and Piercing Arrow for a Regiment of Seaguard mainly to add some more unit strength and survivability to the list.

Another change I’m contemplating but not yet pulling the trigger on would be swapping Brew of Sharpness for Wine of Elvenkind on the Stormwind Regiment as this would make both units nimble which would be amazing for flexibility and manoeuvrability but it does cost me the raw power of getting 15/16 hits every time.

Mage (Alenui): Inspiring Talisman, Bane Chant, Lightning Bolt: 135pts

Drakon Lord (Amarynth): Pipes of Terror: 170pts

Stormwind Regiment: Brew of Sharpness: 245pts

Seaguard Regiment: 150pts

Silverbreeze Troop:: 115pts

2300pts

4 Likes

The ‘Master List’ elf Stormwind can get the quicksilver lancers (nimble upgrade) and still take an artifact - does (potentially) expensive but nasty?

Pretty much always going to have an item on the Cavalry regiments you’re likely to get good value out of it.

Battle Report 16

2300pts vs : Forces of Nature

Narrative Intro:

Feanor entered into the circular chamber, descending the steps he was joined by the elderly Loremaster Eldroth whose staff of office rapped against the marble upon which they strode. Feanor’s eyes fixed upon the dancing flames in the centre of the room, the Sacred Flame of Raloris a pure red fire unlike any fuelled by wood or oil. This would be Feanor’s test.

Pulling his eyes away from the flame Feanor scanned the chamber seeing the Lords of the great houses of the city, the King’s Council and finally King Paweldran his cousin. Paweldran did not return his gaze and Feanor realised Eldroth had come to a halt, the final step must be his alone.

Pain erupted as Feanor crossed the threshold, a living flame engulfing his body. Doubt seeped into his thoughts, the arrogance of his youth stripped away, his fragilities laid bare. Hate, jealousy, vanity threatened to overwhelm him, clinging on to the disciplines he was taught from an early age Feanor fought to retain his composure. One word held his weaknesses at bay, only this simple word kept his mind in check through the hours of agony: Duty.

Feanor staggered, his confident stride mere seconds before a distant memory. Only an outstretched arm saved him from falling. Looking up Feanor saw his cousins Alenui and Amarynth as they helped him regain his footing. Descending the steps in front of him was King Paweldran carrying the double crested Helm of Yandruil only to be worn by the Master of Horse.

Game Intro and Lists:

Ed and i had tried to schedule a practice game before he headed off to the Clash of Kings the premiere Mantic run tournament m. Unfortunately our schedules wouldn’t allow this so instead I am to serve as lab rat to whatever Ed has schemed up on the journey home from the event (where all the most evil ideas are hatched).

Elf List:

Drakon Lord (Amarynth): Mace of Crushing: 170pts
Chariot Noble (Feanor): 100pts

Stormwind Regiment: Chant of Hate: 230pts

2300pts

I’ve tweaked a few bits since I last discussed the list. I wasn’t really sold on buying an expensive extra spell on my mages and really liked the idea of getting a Seaguard regiment into the list as it’s a reallly good tool for scenario play. This gave me an extra hero unlock and as this army is a painting project based on classic Warhammer 4th edition “red era” styles I wanted to include the iconic Chariot Hero model. This was also a great opportunity to test out the improved Noble on Chariot rules following the Big Red Book’s release.

Forces of Nature List:

Keris: Surge: 110pts
Unicorn: Lightning bolt, Host of the Shadow Beast, Torc of Dissonance: 150pts
Gladewalker Druid: Crown of the Wizard King, Ring of Harmony, Surge, Mind Fog: 170pts
Hunter Regiment: 140pts
Hunter Regiment: 140pts
Fire Elemental Horde: Brew of Sharpness 265pts
Fire Elemental Horde: 220pts
Scorchwings Regiment: 120pts
Scorchwings Regiment: 120pts
Earth Elemental Regiment: 130pts
Earth Elemental Regiment: 130pts
Beast of Nature: Extra Attacks, Fly: 205pts
Greater Air Elemental: Lightning: 200pts
Greater Air Elemental: Lightning: 200pts

2300pts

I really liked Ed’s list, it’s got lots of my least favourite things to face from the Forces of Nature list and he’d added a nice amount of shooting and speed whilst retaining the durability I’ve become accustomed to him taking. I’m not that used to facing much shooting in 3rd so my squishy elves would need to be careful whilst I neutralised it.

With 2 regiments of Earth Elementals and Hunters of the Wild Ed had some really effective screening units to block me up whilst his Greater Air Elementals and Fire Elementals manoeuvred for the coup de grace.

Deployment and Scenario

We rolled up loot as the scenario which is challenging for both of us as both our armies like to play a patient game jockeying for position before committing. We spread the tokens evenly across the board.

Ed won the roll for sides, he chose the north which had clearer firing lines. We both committed fairly early on to having our main combat threats on the left side followed by our lighter support units going on the right. I was looking to use my longer line to allow me to defeat Ed on the right before turning in to face Ed’s main column on the left. Ed won the roll for first turn and he took it, keen to put pressure on the tokens and get a head start on shooting war.

Nature Turn 1

The foul forest dwellers advanced out of the terrain cautiously keen to disrupt the magical artefacts that lay in front of them. Only their craven fear of the glorious Elven host ahead of them preventing them for moving up more aggressively.

On the right the Scorchwings unloaded their flaming missiles at the proud Bel-Valdarian Navy, despite significant damage to ancestral pendants and soft silken robes the proud warriors were unmoved and readied themselves to return fire. In the centre two lightning bolts struck at Alenui his mystic shield protected him but deflecting the blows greatly drained his magic reserves.

Elf Turn 1

With Ed’s main column on the left not pushing up too aggressively I decided to use the space to swing my flank round to limit Ed’s options when advancing towards my Spears and centre.

On the right I took the opportunity to charge the Forest Guard into the Hunters hoping to pin them in place or draw in the Beast of Nature giving my other units follow up charges letting me win the flank quickly and then turn towards the centre.

Shooting saw limited results on the right with a combination of arrows, bolts and lightning only managing a waver on a unit of Scorchwings. Lady fortune smiled on the left, however, with significant damage on the exposed Hunters coming from the Silverbreeze bows and Eldroth’s staff.

Nature Turn 2

With the Elves threatening his column from the left flank Ed split his column with both Greater Air Elementals moving to the left and the Hunters charging the Silverbreeze on the hill. On the right the Scorchwings dropped behind the hill wary of the Elven shooting and chariot’s charge range. Finally the unicorn charged the isolated Bolt Thrower in the wood.

Shooting saw limited damage on Amarynth (Drakon Lord) as the Greater Air Elementals tried to clip his wings with lightning. Keris also blinded the valiant Seaguard with his staff but their spirits remained strong regardless of what the uncivilised beasts threw their way.

Combat saw the bolt throwers crew decide to head home rather than deal with the unicorn and its rather menacing shadow. The hunters, however, were less successful only wavering the Silverbreeze on the hill and not even managing that against the Forest Guard.

Elf Turn 2

With Ed now committing his forces the Elves wasted no time in striking back. Lowering their lances the Elven knights charged headlong into the formidable Earth Elementals each supported by a mighty hero of the Royal house. With the cavalry providing cover the Spearmen charged up the hill into the Hunters of the Wild as the wavered Silverbreeze got out of the way.

On the right the Silverbreeze drew their blades and charged into the Beast of Nature, hoping to ground it buying time for the infantry to clear the Hunters who were hit with a combined charge from the Palace Guard in one flank and the Seaguard in the other.

Shooting saw Feanor’s atop his chariot draw back his bow and send 4 arrows arching towards the Scorchwings. As planned the Scorchwings easily evaded these arrows but in doing so they moved right into the path of Alenui’s lightning bolts leaving only charred remains.

Reciting the ancient spell Eldroth blessed the Quicksilver Cavalry’s lances their red blades turning a brilliant white as along with Lord Amarynth they banished the evil demons possessing the stones before them (this was immediately followed by a bit of dressage to avoid any unfortunate surge charges next turn).

Assailed by King Paweldran’s mighty blade Yahdra from the flank and Stormwind’s lances from the front the other Earth Elementals fared no better. Both Hunter regiments were easily dispatched by the Elven infantry and crucially the Beast of Nature was disordered by the brave charge of the Silverbreeze.

Nature Turn 3

With the Elven Cavalry in the open and Ed eager for vengeance the Fire Elementals both went into the two Cavalry units with one Air Elemental joining in on the Quicksilvers while the other decided to duel Amarynth.

The revenge against the cavalry tour continued as the Unicorn and Beast also charged the Silverbreeze units. On the right Keris and the remaining Scorchwings scattered to avoid the Elven infantry’s wrath.

Combat kicked off with the Unicorn routing the Silverbreeze but the Beast wasn’t so successful only landing limited damage. The key combats on the left began poorly for the elves with the Stormwind failing to hold against the Brew of Sharpness Fire Elementals. Things quickly improved, however, as the Quicksilvers were only wavered and Lord Amarynth held steady.

Elf Turn 3

With the cavalry on the far left holding, the spear horde was free to charge off the hill into the Fire Elementals with King Paweldran in support. On the right the pinned Beast of Nature was hit by the combined might of the Palace and Forest Guard units.

Shooting saw Alenui focus his energies on lightning bolting the unicorn but couldn’t even manage to land a hit on the majestic beast. Sighing at the folly of his young apprentice Eldroth channelled his power through his Loremaster’s staff searing deep gashes along it’s flank. Meanwhile the Scorchwings fled the field fearing all was lost as the Seaguard and Feanor rained arrows down on them.

In combat the momentum off the hill was enough for the spears to break the Fire Elementals and Amarynth landed a few biting blows on the Air Elemental with his blade. To the right the beast of nature was easily cut down by the combined axes and swords of the Elven infantry.

Nature Turn 4

With most of his units pinned down Ed focused on finishing off the Cav and Drakon Lord on the left and the Unicorn routed Alenui. Keris meanwhile cleared off the Forest Guard with his solar staff.

Elf Turn 4

The Fire Elementals had just left their flank exposed and the Spearmen gleefully took it whilst King Paweldran charged the closest Air Elemental to prevent any surge tricks. The Palace Guard now free marched into the centre to take the middle loot token. The Seaguard and Chariot Noble moved to try and better deal with the Unicorn and finally the Silverbreeze charged Keris hope to disrupt him.

Shooting was uneventful but combat saw the Spears dispatch the Fire Elementals in the flank and a lucky nerve roll mean the Silverbreeze wavered Keris. Paweldran drove his blade deep into the heart of the Air Elemental which remained unphased.

Nature Turn 5

Things were looking tough for Ed he needed to gamble on getting some luck to somehow hold the loot token on the left and stop me from adding the token from the right to the one already held by my Palace Guard.

The unengaged Air Elemental charged the mage Eldroth whilst the other continued it’s fight with King Paweldran. On the right the unicorn moved up to lightning bolt the Seaguard.

The Unicorn targeted the injured Seaguard with its lighting finally breaking the unit which dropped the loot token. Combat saw Eldroth hiking up the skirt of his robes and running for the hills rather than facing the Greater Air Elemental’s wroth. Meanwhile Paweldran remained steadfast in his battle with the other Air Elemental.

Elf Turn 5

Feanor spied that the unicorn had just strayed into his chariot’s charge range and seeing an opportunity to put an end to a big threat charged down the hill. On the left the spears charged the injured Air Elemental picking up the token at the same time. Meanwhile Paweldran went after the Gladestalker Druid to shut down any surge tricks.

The Spears comfortably saw off the Air Elemental and turned to face the final one. Keris was disrupted and the Druid wavered. Feanor aided by the momentum from the hill landed several blows on the unicorn but failed to even waver it.

Nature Turn 6

Little of note happened as Ed just tried to spare his remaining units from the elves wrath.

Elf Turn 6

Little took place as the Elves had few targets available. A further wound was caused on the unicorn through shooting and the Gladestalker Druid was wavered by King Paweldran again.

With that the battle was over and the Elves had won 2-0.

Narrative ending:

Feanor leap from his chariot landing softly by the glowing amulet. Fortunately the evil Lord Keris had fled without getting his claws on the protective charm. Though not blessed by mage-sight Feanor could sense the energy emanating from the jewel as it fought to keep the Elven realm safe from harm. Staring out towards the forest Feanor knew Keris would not be stopped by just one defeat. With a heavy heart he mounted his chariot and drove towards his liege King Paweldran.

Conclusions and Jubilations:

Always nice to get a victory against a player of Ed’s calibre. This feels like an odd game to evaluate, the scenario and our lists made us both play quite aggressively. As neither of us gave the other much time deployment was important and it felt like we both deployed how we wanted and the game quickly played out from there.

I think there were two big moments that led to the Elven victory. One was the Quicksilver Cavalry surviving the double charge from the Air Elemental and Fire Elementals. It was likely one of the cavalry regiments would survive that turn but the odds favoured the Stormwind which would have been far less favourable for me as the Quicksilvers holding blocked up two units. The other was rather unfortunate, Ed was operating under the impression he hadn’t bought fly for his Beast of Nature, this error meant I picked the up a key piece in his army cheaply as he was trapped after getting disrupted. It’s a real shame when things like this happen but we couldn’t work out a sensible way take back any moves so ended up playing through.

Ed’s Unicorn caused me a lot of trouble with Host of the Shadow Beast results in 7 strong attacks on a speed 10 pathfinder unit is a nightmare to deal with. If other armies can utilise similar options it’s definitely something to watch out for. I may need to revisit putting duellist on my King.

I liked the Noble on the chariot whilst he’s fragile and speed 8 isn’t great, a cheap scoring unit/flank threat is really valuable and adds more flexibility to the list. I liked being able to pair him up with the Seaguard as they compliment each other quite nicely and worked well on an isolated flank against other light units. I’m keen to see how he would perform in a more central role alongside my bigger combat units.

6 Likes

Battle Report 17

Game introduction

Every now and again I like to try out a more unusual list moving away from my generally balanced approach to list building. The urge has struck me again and I thought it would be interesting to take a full combat elf army with zero shooting or magic (well actually there is a dragon’s breath attack I hadn’t thought about but I’m going to give myself a pass). I have run something similar a few years ago with 2 Dragons 2 Kings and all Stormwind Cavalry. This time, however, I would go for a broader mix of units.

(Note: regular fans of the blog I haven’t done any narrative this time. Apologies for those who miss it and less scrolling for the rest of you)

Elf List

Dragon: Healing Brew: 310pts

King: Noble Elven steed: 135pts

King: Majestic Stallion: 135pts

Palace Guard: Staying Stone: 270pts

Palace Guard: Chalice of Wrath: 280pts

Drakon Horde: 275pts

Drakon Horde: 275pts

Quicksilver Regiment: Strider (1): 250pts

Stormwind Troop: Nimble: 145pts

Stormwind Troop: 135pts

Hunters of the Wild troop: 90pts

2300pts

I started off by selecting several big hitting units to make up for the limitations of not having magic or shooting. A Dragon, 2 Palace Guard Hordes, 2 Drakon Hordes & a Quicksilver Regiment gave me a core of the best Elven combat units available (IMO).

With the big hitters set I added two mounted Kings to make up for some of the some flexibility I’d lost by sticking to combat as well as something to perform chaff roles and importantly add inspiring. Along with this I wanted more fast support units, as I had no shooting to deal with enemy chaff I wanted something that could win a chaff off so went for two Stormwind Troops. After a few items I had around 100pts left which I used for a troop of Hunters, whose scout would help them get ahead of my army and an extra item for the Dragon.

Trident Realms List:

Eckter: 165pts

Naiad Centurion: Trident: 140pts

Thull Mythican: 80pts

Depth Horror Horde: 185pts

Giga Horde: Staying Stone: 210pts

Giga Horde: Fury: 220pts

Knucker: 145pts

Knucker: 145pts

Coral Giant: 215pts

Tidal Swarm: 70pts

Hidden Ones Formation (Pathfinder):

Thull Mythican: TC 1 Aura,: 90pts

Thull Regiment: 170pts

2300pts

Ben had for the first time in a long time changed his list (albeit only slightly) and had scored some big wins recently. In a bid to get a second shooting option and a second tough individual in the list he cut back on items and a Thull to bring in a Naiad Centurion with Trident. This guy is pretty tricky to deal with as mighty, ensnare, def 5 and regen 4+ causes a lot of issues. Added to that his Trident causing disruption is a real pain for an army with lots of flyers and cavalry.

Usually when I play against Ben’s list my shooting is extra effective due to his low defence and the game tends towards me buying time and him trying to pin me down. This time I wouldn’t be able to exploit his main weakness. Ben has quite a lot of extra units in his list compared to mine but mine were punchier and quicker which I’d need to bring into play.

The main issues I see facing Ben are:

a) his tidal swarms are really good at screening units preventing charges, as I had no shooting to clear them off I’m hoping to use my Stormwind Troops to go head to head with them forcing Ben to commit into the cavalry allowing my bigger units to get the charge.

b) Ben’s army usually has to play aggressively but when he can use it defensively it’s absolutely brutal as ensnare and the high number of units he has allows him to absorb charges whilst setting up brutal reprisals.

Deployment and Scenario

We rolled up Dominate as the scenario meaning we’d both be aggressive and have to fight in the centre of the board. Ben won the roll for sides and took north.

Ben decided to deploy in across the width of the board with his Gigas to the left and his Thulls to the right. I spread my units out evenly as Ben had 3 extra drops after I had finished deploying so I didn’t want to leave him any gaps to exploit. Scout saw the Hunters of the Wild move up in front of my Palace guard on the right Ben’s tidal swarms responded by moving up to face my hunters. I won the roll for first turn, it felt like an even choice so I went second for a change as I usually go first where possible. My thinking was Ben might push up some units too aggressively stretching his lines creating opportunities also going second would give me the last turn hopefully helping me late game.

• Trident Realms Turn 1*

Ben decided not to overstretch his lines by moving aggressively so it was a cautious start by the sea creatures.

Elves Turn 1

I decided I wanted to try and be aggressive before Eckter and the Naiad Centurion could bring themselves and their shooting attacks into the game. I needed to clear some of the Tidal Swarms that can screen Ben’s bigger hitters so charged both the hunters and a Stormwind troop into one.

My remaining forces pushed up just out of Ben’s charge range but within mine. I also put both King up into Ben’s charge ranges as bait. Ben would now need to decide whether to try and back up in which case I’d try to pick off a few units he couldn’t retreat far enough with or he’d engage and hopefully I could take control with a massed charge.

Trident Realms Turn 2

Ben remained cautious but started to commit several units, the Stormwind troop and Hunters were charged by Thulls and Depth Horrors respectively. The giants screened by a Thull Mythican and the remaining tidal swarm pushed up in the centre of the board.

The remaining units hung back ready to counter my assaults next turn. Shooting saw Eckter target the Quicksilver Regiment causing a 4 wounds and only just missing out on wavering them.

In combat the Depth Horrors hindered by a pond were only able to waver the Hunters but despite little damage from the Thulls the Stormwind troop lost their nerve and fled the field.

Elves Turn 2

I now had charges available to me. We were using the optional withdraw moves which meant my wavered hunters could just pull back far enough to let the Drakons charge the Depth Horrors in the front. The king went in the flank to support.

The Dragon and other Drakons went into the Thull regiment hoping to break through. Meanwhile the Palace Guard in the centre charged the blocking Mythican in front of the giants. In a gamble I decided to try and pick off Eckter my King charged in first turning Eckter’s flank to my Quicksilvers who went in hoping their lances could strike true.

Combat saw the Depth Horrors and the Mythican go down but the combination of the Dragon and Drakons could only waver the Thulls and the Cavalry only managed to waver Eckter.

Trident Realms Turn 3

The Quicksilvers cavalry were now exposed to a rear charge from the Knucker and a front from the Gigas. Ben charged his Thulls and Knucker into the Drakons who had killed the Depth Horrors and his individuals into the other Drakons and Dragon. Finally the Swarm charged the Palace Guard in the centre.

Combat was brief and bloody as the Two double charged saw the Drakons and Quicksilver Cavalry go down and a few wound distributed elsewhere.

Elves Turn 3

I’d taken some losses but was hopefully now in a good position to finish off the right flank and be in a decent position to cope with Bens troops coming in from the left.

My Drakons counter charged the Mythican with the aid of a king in the rear. Hopefully I would rout him and then get an overrun into the Thulls flank. The Stormwind flanked the Knucker on the right with the hunters going in the front. The Dragon went into the front of the Thull regiment he had wavered last turn. Finally my King on the left charged a Giant as I didn’t want anything in charge range of Eckter and the Gigas as both were stuck on half move due to sitting on the fence.

Combat went well for the Elves, the Mythican was demolished by the Drakons who swung like a wrecking ball into the Thulls’ flank breaking them as well. The Dragon took down the other Thulls whilst the Stormwind skewered the Knucker. The Palace Guard also finished off the Tidal Swarm whilst the King got lucky and did 3 damage on the giant (reduced to 2 after Iron Resolve).

Ben’s Giants were about to come in but it has definitely been a good turn for the Elves.

Trident Realms Turn 4

Ben needed to do some big damage this turn, so praying to the Dice Gods for some high rolls on his 2d6 extra attacks (d6 normal plus d6 slayer) his Giants charged the Dragon and Drakons. The Palace Guard in the centre had left their flank exposed to the Knucker in order to face the giants so Ben took the opportunity to build up some damage on them. Other movement saw the Naiad Centurion move to block the other Palace Guard from retaliating vs the Giants and his left flank starting moving round to the centre.

Combat started ok for Ben as the Knucker landed 7 damage on the flank of the Palace Guard. It went down hill from their, however, as the Giants failed to even waver either of their targets (an awful roll saw only two damage added to the already weakened Drakons). The giants were now in a lot of trouble and if they went down Ben be in a tight spot.

Elves Turn 4

With the Giants pinned the Elves gleefully charged (they were definitely singing as they went in). The Dragon was able to use a withdrawal move to charge the flank of the Giant that was facing the Drakons this would be a dicey charge so I sent both kings in to support. The giant that charged the Dragon had its rear exposed to the Palace Guard so I took that opportunity.

The Naiad Centurion was annoying but there wasn’t much choice in what to do so I charged in the Palace Guard hoping to get a bit lucky and maybe take him off or at least waver him. The other units repositioned hoping to cover any potential threats.

Combat saw both giants easily vanquished. The Centurion, however, was only wavered after the Palace Guard only landed 5 damage but at least this prevented him from targeting my damaged units.

Trident Realms Turn 5

Ben’s turn started well for me as he only regenerated 1 of the 5 damage on the centurion giving me a good chance of finishing him off next turn.

Eckter managed to waver the Dragon with his windblast and the Knucker caused a few wounds on the Palace guard. The Gigas moved into position for next turn.

Elves Turn 5

Ben’s Gigas were finally in the game so I decided to throw the injured Drakons into one unit to either make them an easy kill next turn or maybe even get lucky as they were out of inspire range.

The Stormwind Cavalry went into the wavered Cebturion’s flank along with the Palace Guard in the front. One King charged the flank of the Knucker along with the Palace Guard whilst the other moved to block the Gigas from charging (assuming the Drakons didn’t kill the Gigas).

Combat saw the Palace Guard hordes break the Knucker and Centurion whilst a good roll also saw the Drakons rout the Gigas as well.

At this point the game was up and Ben conceded.

This was my second game (first one didn’t last long) with this list and I am really bored of it. All you do is charge and do combat reforms there are very few decisions to make especially when facing more numerous drops in deployment (meaning I deployed in a fairly pre ordained fashion to maintain flexibility). You’re just pushing stuff forwards and trading units. I badly miss the varied options a balanced list gives me.

Tactically I was able to keep Ben’s left side held back, in particular one of his Gigas was stuck on a fence for several turns. This meant I could bring my army to bear on his right flank clearing it entirely for the loss of a Cav troop and a Drakon Horde. From that point it should have been a matter of trading units but then Ben got unlucky with his giants not killing anything.

The Elven speed allowed me to take advantage of Ben spreading his forces out letting me choose my battles. With longer charge ranges I was able to threaten him with a lot more units at any one time. Anyway I thought something different might be of interest hope you enjoyed it.

7 Likes

Your battle reports are always a good read though i must admit i also like the narratives you throw in there.

3 Likes

Finally caught up!
Thanks for sharing and I must say that I missed the narrative too.

Thank you.

Can I ask a question, do the pictures still show fully for you in the post or do you need to click on them to see the full picture?

My phone has started only showing a limited view that I then have to click on which rather ruins the report imo by not having words and pictures together. It’s rather put me off writing more which isa shame because my most recent game would make for a cracking report.

2 Likes

Hi Paul,

I miss reading your reports so please, do not feel disheartened by the limitations of the technology!

Cheers!

1 Like

I can see the whole picture on my phone, but usually click on them to zoom in a bit anyway.

Battle Report 18

2300pts vs : Trident Realms

Narrative Intro:

The early morning sun streamed through the trees of the forest reflecting off the brilliant white coat of the unicorn Raina. By her side was the young elven mage Aeneas. A fey individual Aeneas spent most of his time outside of the city of Bel-Valdar usually only entering to confer and study with the city’s elderly Loremaster Eldroth.

Communing with Raina the two friends walked along the edge of the forest overlooking the coastline of the Alaitoc Sea. Suddenly Aeneas’ keen perception heard noises from the cliffs. Leaping upon Raina’s back he drew his sword Yandroth, a gift from King Paweldran himself and went to investigate. Reaching the edge of the cliffs Aeneas saw the dreaded Thulls scaling the cliff face. He knew many protective wards were located along the coastline to aid the trading ships from Bel-Valdar’s port. The vile sea creatures goal to disrupt these was clear. Swinging Raina round he galloped off towards the city knowing his presence in the defending army would be required.

Game Intro and Lists:

Real life meant gaming was put on pause for a few months as other priorities needed attending to. My regular opponent Ben was also rusty but had just entered an online tournament and was keen to get some practice so now available I gleefully obliged.

Elf List:

Mage (Aeneas): Lightning Bolt, Conjurers Staff, Host of the Shadow Beast (2): 145pts
Drakon Lord (Amarynth): Mace of Crushing: 165pts

Palace Guard Horde: Staying Stone: 270pts
Stormwind Regiment: Brutal: 220pts

2300pts

In one of my last games before taking a break I’d been rather taken with one of my opponents units, a unicorn with Host of the Shadow Beast (Game 16 on the blog). I’d tried the previous iteration and found it lacking but post the Big Red book the spell had been made much more flexible as it added a set of attacks rather than boosting the targets own abilities. This meant a mage could cast it on themselves or on another individual.

My physical army is based around 4th/5th Ed Warhammer High Elves so I’m always mindful of chances to include iconic elements in my list. A mage mounted on a unicorn is one such unit. By shuffling a few items from Game 16 list I managed to find a few points and the dignified strolling of Loremaster Eldroth was replaced with the exuberant galloping of the young prodigy Aeneas.

• Trident Realms List:*

Naiad Centurion: Trident, Scout: 170pts
Thull Mythican: Torc of Dissonance: 90pts

Giga Horde: 205pts
Knucker: 150pts

Thull Mythican: TC 1 Aura, Gnome Glass Shield: 100pts

2300pts

Ben has kindly provided us with his initial thoughts on the game:

So another day another game against the elves! As you probably know reading this blog Paul and I play a lot. The ‘Red’ era army is great fun to play against. I feel it’s a nicely balanced list and a has a touch of nostalgia.

Facing the elves is always a tough game for the trident realms because as the old saying goes ‘how do you kill a fish? Shoot it’! The list I’d taken is the one I’ve been running for a while. 14 drops, with 4 characters, 4 monsters and 3 giggas for the defence. I like the list as it tends to have answers for most things and now I’ve included the Naiad Centurion with the trident of the drowned sea and boots of seven leagues I have something that can shoot in the first turn.

The basic plan when facing Paul’s list was to get at his shooting to disable it and then hope my big hitters can take him off before he gets me.

We were playing salt the earth which is a great scenario. The main plan for me with this scenario is to try and deploy in such a way as to dominate one side. Then kill the tokens on the weaker side, stranding his army whilst the bulk of my force mop up and take control of the ‘live side’.

When playing elves I find taking first turn is usually a big help as it limits the shooting damage I take however going second in this scenario can be a real advantage. I think I’ll go first if I get the chance but we’ll just to have to wait and see what the dice gods decide.

Deployment and Scenario

The tournament would be using a fixed map and scenario each round so we would be playing Salt the Earth. We spread the tokens fairly evenly across the board but Ben having the final placement allowed him to weight them towards the left.

I won the roll for sides choosing south to avoid having the big wood in the centre of my lines. Deployment saw us both favour opposite flanks with Ben looking to concentrate on the bulk of the tokens on the left whilst I tried to capitalise on the space this gave me on the right before swinging round to the right side’s tokens late game. I won the roll for first turn and took it, keen to secure the right flank before Ben could bring his forces to bear on the left.

Elf Turn 1

Most of the elves advanced cautiously to bring their shooting into range with the exception of the Amarynth (Drakon Lord) and the Forest Guard who pushed up on the far right offering some charges to Ben opening up the opportunity for me to counter or to get behind him if he declined the opportunity.

As per the ancient tradition arrows and lightning descended upon the Trident lines causing a smattering of damage across the army. Importantly Alenui’s lightning bolt removed the Gnome Glass Shield from the Thull Mythican which can create a real headache in key moments.

Trident Turn 1

Enraged by the loss of his favourite toy (and dreading the journey to the Gnome village to get it fixed) the Mythican on the right wildly charged at Amarynth tentacles flailing. The Knucker, however, declined the opportunity to face the Elven Lord in battle and slinked away along with the craven Coral Giant pausing only to destroy the objective marker and deny it to the Elves.

Most of the remaining units advanced slowly keen not to face the Elves piecemeal. The Naiad Centurion confident in it’s ceremonial armour and natural regenerative abilities was the exception boldly taking position on the hill in front of the Elven lines challenging any who would dare face him.

Elf Turn 2

On the right flank the forest guard careened through the wood into the flank of the Mythican engaged with Lord Amarynth. The remaining units moved up to offer charges to the Knucker to draw it out. The remaining Elven line pulled back hoping to buy more time for the right to swing round and shooting to thin the fishmen’s ranks.

Aeneas and Feanor (unicorn mage and chariot) disposed of the tidal swarm on the left. A little damage was added in the centre and the Knucker on the left took the brunt of the Seaguard and Silverbreeze’s attention. In combat the Mythican was swept away by the angry woodsmen.

Trident Turn 2

On the left Eckter moved to block the gap between the building and board edge with units arrayed behind him ready to respond to any Elves who would inevitably get stuck fighting him. In the centre a Thull regiment was so infuriated by sight of the Elves they bolted out of the woods straining every sinew to reach the Elven Spears (rolled a 3 for wild charge). Meanwhile the Silverbreeze were accosted by the Naiad Centurion charging off the hill.

On the right the Knucker decided to charge the Quicksilver Cavalry out of it’s varied options and the Giant spun to face the threat of Amarynth and the Forest Guard. Combat saw decent damage on the Silverbreeze, Spears and Quicksilvers but all easily held their nerve.

Elf Turn 3

On the right spying the flank of the Knucker engaged with the Elven knights the Seaguard lowered their spears and charged off the hill. At the same time the Silverbreeze positioned themselves to block the Coral Giant whilst the Forest Guard and Drakon Lord moved up behind the light cavalry.

In the centre the Spears and Silverbreeze countercharged. With Eckter looming on the right I moved most of my units round to face the centre. King Paweldran drew his sword and charged into the flank of the Mythican hoping for a bit lucky nerve roll to waver or even rout him and overrun into the injured Gigas flank. Feanor drove his chariot into Eckter to cut off his line of sight and slow up the other units coming round the flank.

Aeneas chanted the sacred words channelling his innate abilities through the Staff of Oroldreth a dark shadow emerged behind King Paweldran. Alas a moment’s hesitation broke Aeneas’ concentration and the mystical shadow fled the mortal realm. The rest of the shooting phase was disappointing only the bolt thrower managed to land any damage at all.

Feanor’s halberd repeatedly struck out at Eckter but the crafty old sea urchin met it each time with his spear. Paweldran also struggled, his blade Yahdra only breaking through the Mythican’s defences once. The Silverbreeze failed to land a crucial wound on the Naiad Centurion to prevent him using his Trident’s shooting attack in Ben’s turn.

Hoping for better luck in the major combats the Elven Spears drove their spears mercilessly into the Thulls, sadly many thrusts were deflected by the multitude of tentacles and the Thull were only wavered.

Grim faced the Elven knights drew their swords and carved into the Knucker unfortunately the Seaguard tripped charging down the hill into the Knuckers flank only doing limited damage crucially this made the Knucker laugh so much it forgot to run away but would instead have to spend the next turn recovering its composure (I rolled a 3 for nerve needing a 4 so had I landed just one extra wound it would have routed).

Lady Luck had not shone on me this turn and my efforts to take out Ben’s right flank quickly had possibly run into a fatal delay.

Trident Turn 3

With several units now in range Ben was keen to exploit my poor dice. The Knucker and Gigas on the left charged Feanor and his chariot whilst Eckter moved round to use his windblast. The Naiad Centurion also moved out of combat to use his Trident.

The Coral Giant charged King Paweldran (we were unsure about if this charge was legal as the building prevented the King from aligning with a wheel or pivot but on review we found that you pick up and place the individual in alignment so it was legal). The Mythican King Paweldran had been fighting decided to shut down the bolt thrower which had been irritating the Gigas.

The wavered Thulls in the centre would block the spears next turn so Ben sent the Gigas to finish off the Silverbreeze. Showing uncommon speed a Thull regiment in the Wood again rolled a 3 for wild charge allowing them to charge the Palace Guard horde (one thinks there may be berries in the wood which require PED classification). Finally the Giant on the right charged the blocking Silverbreeze.

Shooting saw the Mythican activate it’s Torc of Dissidence to prevent Aeneas from using Host of the Shadow Beast. Both Eckter and the Centurion used their attacks on the Stormwind pushing them back and disordering them.

In combats on the left Feanor having achieved his goal decided honour was satisfied and headed home. King Paweldran was knocked unconscious by the Coral Giants’s club, the bolt thrower crew remembered they’d left the oven on and the Silverbreeze decided to do some scouting further down the coast (basically a whole lot of routing).

The right fared better with average damage the Elves stationed there stood steadfast knowing winning the battle now lay solely in their hands.

Elf Turn 4

With most of my units engaged I countered both Thull Regiments with my infantry and the Knucker with my Seaguard and Knights. On the right the Silverbreeze were joined by the Forest Guard whilst Amarynth flew behind the Giant to open up options in the centre nearer the objectives. On the left the disordered Stormwind charged the Mythican hoping to pin it down or even get a lucky kill as I was short on options and becoming surrounded.

Shooting saw both mages target the flanks of the central Gigas building up more damage but falling just short of wavering it. Crucially combat saw my infantry destroy both Thull regiments and reform to protect their flanks. The right side Knucker also fell whilst the Giant only took minimal damage. On the left a decent roll was enough to waver the Mythican with my Stormwind but they remained in a precarious position.

Trident Turn 4

The Knucker on the left took advantage of the Stormwind’s open flank and charged in. Meanwhile the Centurion moved to target the mage Aeneas and Eckter ran towards the centre as fast as his little legs could take him. The Gigas on the left decided it was time to move back and take control of the objectives. (To my horror I realised my placing of the markers precisely 12 inches apart allowed the Gigas to contest two tokens at once if they turned slightly!)

In the centre the Gigas and Giant were now free to charge the spears who stoically braced themselves hoping to hold the charge until help could arrive. To the right the Giant charged the injured silverbreeze hoping to see them off and the Gigas decided to forgo charging so as not to open itself up to flank charges next turn instead moving to block my Palace Guard from charging towards the centre.

Shooting saw the Centurion’s Trident land a glancing blow on Aeneas, briefly severing his link to the winds of magic. The Giant on the right easily broke the Silverbreeze who were oddly dismayed at a huge club swipe crushing several of their comrades. On the left the Knucker was just able to waver the Stormwind leaving them in trouble next turn.

Finally in the centre the Gigas only managed a few wounds due to a fence hindering them against the spears. All hopes rested on the giant’s mighty club. Leaning back to deliver a huge swipe the Coral monstrosity lost it’s balance and very nearly fell over. A single elf unfortunately perished as it was punted as the Giant’s leg stuck out to retain its balance. Despite this barbaric action the Elves held their nerve and readied their spears to strike.

Elf Turn 5

The Elven left had largely evaporated Aeneas moved up unable to cast he hoped the Gigas would not take up position to hold both objectives next turn so that he could move to block them. The Stormwind were trapped in place by the Knucker and the Mythican.

Things were much more promising on the right. The Seaguard charged the front of the Giant whilst the Forest Guard gleefully assaulted it’s flank. The Palace Guard were able to charge down the hill into the Gigas accompanied by the knights. In the centre I decided to put both the Spears and the Drakonlord into the Gigas to ensure they perished allowing Alenui to lightning bolt the Mythican rather than use his bane chant elsewhere.

Shooting saw the Mythican fried by Alenui. The central Gigas were easily dispatched between Amarynth and the Spears whilst the Giant on the right was felled by the Elven woodsmen. In the final contest of the turn Elven Knights and Infantry crashed into the hard shells of the Gigas causing grievous damage. Despite this the Gigas held firm against all odds dashing the hopes of the Elves. (Double 1 and not quite enough damage to devastate the unit).

Trident Turn 5

Gleefully Ben set about taking advantage of the situation. The (son of unmarried crabs) Horde of Gigas charged the knights on the right whilst on the left the other unit moved to control two objective markers. In the centre the Giant charged the Spears looking for redemption, the Knucker continued its assault on the Stormwind’s flank and Eckter and the Centurion took aim at Lord Amarynth (Drakon).

Eckter and the Centurion managed to put some damage on Amarynth as well as disordering him and pushing him closer to the giant. Both units of Elven knights fled from their respective foes. At last the giant’s mighty club connected with the proud ranks of Elven spearmen scattering them to the winds.

Elf Turn 6

Things were looking desperate for the Elves. Lord Amarynth was hemmed in by the Giant with the Centurion’s trident clipping his steed Navarel’s wings so he charged the giant. Aeneas charged the Centurion hoping to shut down the Trident.

Ben had blocked the Seaguard from charging the badly damaged Gigas. Fortunately the Forest Guard could just spy the Gigas past the Seaguard and charged into the rear. This left the Palace Guard free to move towards the centre. My mage Alenui moved behind them to prevent Eckter using his windblast to push them back. My only hope was for there to be a turn 7 and Ben to leave me an opportunity.

Amarynth landed a couple of wounds on the Giant whilst the Forest Guard killed the Gigas. Aeneas calling forth the power of nature struck out at the Centurion such was the power of the blows he was left cowering from the Elven mage (wavered).

Trident Turn 6

The Giant enraged by Amarynth’s assault swept aside the Elven Lord with his club. Meanwhile Eckter assaulted Aeneas driving off the magic user. Finally the Knucker moved up to control the key objective marker. All Ben needed to do was roll for the game to end and the Elves would be soundly beaten. Lady Luck, however, had other plans and not yet satisfied ordered the show to go on.

Elf Turn 7

I had one little trick up left up my sleeve Ben hadn’t spotted in his last turn. His Giant had shuffled sideways after routing Amarynth rather than pivoting to face the Palace Guard dead on. By moving the mage Alenui to block the Palace Guard’s natural charging position I was able to move far enough to bring them into range of the key token.

The Seaguard and Forest Guard took control of the other objectives. Sadly Alenui was so focused on his positioning he failed to cast bane chant on the Palace Guard, if I could waver the giant I might just have enough nerve to survive Ben’s reprisals. It was not to be, however, and I fell short of what was needed.

(At this point I should have destroyed the objective token giving me a very good chance of a draw but I was so focused on victory the thought didn’t even enter my mind).

Trident Turn 7

Dismayed at the Elven trickery Ben threw the full force of his remaining troops into the Elven warriors denying him victory. The giant’s club rained down blows, Eckter and the Centurion stabbed until their weapons were slick with Elven blood. The Knucker lashed out again and again. Despite this onslaught there was no give in the Elven warriors who held their ground no matter the odds (Ben rolled a much needed double 1 on the first nerve check).

With that the battle was over and the Elves had won 3-2.

Narrative ending:

Alenui knelt eyes closed by the glowing orb that served as a protective ward calming the vicious waves crashing against the coastal cliffs. As he finished repairing the flows of magic, clumsily severed by the foul sea creatures before they could be driven off, he heard horses galloping. Eldroth and his fellow mages had answered his summons. The healers among them would be sorely needed as both his brothers and his colleague Aeneas all lay hurt.

What a nail bitter! The perfect way to get back into gaming after a little break. Whilst Ben and I were both a touch rusty I think we were also pleased that we both played fairly well (although that might of just been our ineptitude cancelling each other out). I was delighted Lady Luck waited until the last possible moment to return the favour of the games’ earlier double 1.

We had very similar plans with us both weighting opposite sides, Ben to keep close to the objectives and me utilising the space that gave me to pick off his units rather than get overwhelmed by his army all at once. This is always a dangerous tactic that can leave you praying for a turn 7 (or sometimes even desperately scouring the rulebook for any mention of a turn 8!).

Despite me winning in a dominant and in no way flukey manner (Ben: cough) there were quite a few little mistakes/missed opportunities I identified looking back over the game. The first one was that I’d purposely placed all my Salt the Earth tokens within 12 inches of another one to allow my infantry hordes to more easily claim two at once. What I hadn’t considered is monstrous infantry/cavalry can also claim two at once if they turn slightly. From now on I’ll be placing tokens 13.1 inches apart.

Another point regarding objective markers is that Salt the Earth allows you to destroy markers from turn 1. I probably should have looked to destroy two or all three of the markers on the left that were near my troops immediately. My chariot and Silverbreeze could have done this easily. With the other tokens destroyed in the game this would have left only 3 tokens two of which I was in a much stronger position to control.

A big mistake was putting my King in danger by charging the Mythican. Although if everything had gone right I might have done a lot of damage lacking a 360 degree threat late game really hindered me. When I went in I wasn’t sure if the giant would be able to charge me legally or not (we’re now pretty confident it was a legal charge) but I knew there was a chance and it’s not a chance I should have taken.

I think the Spears should have counter charged the Giant rather than the Gigas turn 5 the Drakon Lord alone averages enough damage to make it a double 1 on nerve, a few wounds on the Giant or even a lucky waver could have been very helpful. Finally I should have destroyed the token my palace guard controlled turn 7 to force a draw as the Palace Guard had no business surviving in the final turn.

Ben’s Conclusions

Wow! Well that was a roller coaster ride! Well played Paul! I feel my plan was working but to be honest I got lucky with Paul’s weak shooting in turn 3 & then the knucker surviving the combo charge.

There were some good learning points. The Giant charging on the king in turn 3 needed a rules clarification but I think we got it right. I had it on turn 6 but still could have put the game out of reach if I’d pivoted my giant rather than sliding; I didn’t see Paul’s use of the mage to position the palace guard in a scoring position. Even though the double 1 cost me it probably evened out the luck up-to that point and in my opinion it’s a great rule that keeps the game interesting.

All in all it was a really fun game and in the end isn’t that the point? That’s what I tell myself anyway.

6 Likes

Battle Report 19

2300pts vs Trident Realms: Salt the Earth

Narrative Intro:

King Paweldran rode at the front of his army as they marched along the costal road. The mood was tense as the army had been ready to deploy ever since the last Trident attack. Knowing the Trident King’s stubbornness Paweldran had been sure one chastising defeat would not stop the raids on the wards that protected the coastline from the ravages of the violent Alaitoc Sea. He had posted extensive scouts and his army had been billeted outside the city walls to allow for a rapid response. He had, however, been surprised by the Sea Creatures cunning. I’m an effort to avoid the vigilant Elven scouts, Trident forces had come ashore far north of the Wards, with the raiders going inland and instead attacking from the forest rather than the coast. Unexpected as this show of tactical nuance was it made little difference as the Elven scouts keen eyes and ears had meant the alarm had been raised in plenty of time. He would once again have to teach the invaders the folly of trespassing on Elven lands.

Game Intro and Lists:

This will be a rematch from the last report same players, scenario, map etc. and one list the same, one slightly changed. I generally try not to give you guys similar games back to back as there isn’t much variation in my list and my opponent’s lists to be begin with. I’ve decided to this time as I think it’s quite interesting to have two reports with a number of similarities that allows us to look at what tactical changes are made and why.

There’s 3 main points of difference IMO:

1)The biggest one is because this is part of tournament practice Ben and I spent time after the last game analysing our play & discussing different ways to approach things. So in contrast to the last report here you should see the impact (hopefully) of two players with a clearer focus on how they are approaching the scenario and map.

2)Ben has tweaked his list since last time, this is in part a reaction to some of the issues he ran into in our last game (lack of speed).

3)I lost the roll for table side in this game and IMO it changes things a lot. In particular I think playing from north is far less favourable for my list with a lot of awkward terrain to deal with: 1) I don’t have much pathfinder 2) there’s limited firing lanes and 3) there’s not many 8 inch gaps for my infantry hordes to move through unhindered). The big wood is also very awkward as it interferes with getting troops to the central objective that can’t be destroyed, that’s not the case from the south where the path is clear.

So I hope you’ll enjoy this report despite there being several overlaps with the last one.

Elf List:

Mage (Aeneas): Lightning Bolt, Conjurers Staff, Host of the Shadow Beast (2): 145pts

2300pts

My list is completely unchanged but Ben has made some changes primarily bringing in a Horde of Wyrmriders for a horde of Gigas. I’ve always cautioned Ben against taking a third Giga horde as I felt the lack of speed became too big of an issue for his list strategically. Now he had a speed 9 horde with Nimble and Pathfinder I had one less weakness to try and exploit.

• Trident Realms List:*

Thull Mythican: Gnome Glass Shield: 90pts

Naiad Wyrmriders: Brew of Haste: 275pts

Thull Mythican: TC 1 Aura, 9 inch Aura: 105pts

Thull Regiment: Healing Brew: 175pts

2300pts

Ben has again kindly provided us with his initial thoughts on the game and his list changes from the last report:

Well here we are again! Paul and I decided to play the same scenario with the same scenery but try a few new things. From my side after our last game I wanted to increase the speed of my army so dropped a Giggas horde and added the Naiad Wyrmriders with brew of haste. This also meant I needed to change my Naiad Centurion for a Mythican with bane chant; he’d been my man of the match most games he played but I couldn’t fit him in without dropping the swarm and as Paul regularly tells me, the swarms are the most important part of my army so this couldn’t be countenanced!

My plan was the same as before to try and control the ‘scoring side’ whilst destroying the tokens on the side where his main force was. Let’s see how it went.

Deployment and Scenario

As in the last game we’re using the tournament’s fixed map and scenario for the round so we would be playing Salt the Earth. This time I placed my tokens 13.1 inches from other tokens (so Ben’s hordes couldn’t claim 2 at once but mine could) and Ben placed his 12 inches away from each other (so his hordes could claim 2 at once). This resulted in Ben placing 2 on the extreme left and the rest scattered across the board.

We spread the tokens fairly evenly across the board but Ben having the final placement allowed him to weight them towards the left.

Ben won the roll for sides choosing south as I had done last time so that we could see how that changed things. This was unfortunate for me as the central token was far easier to approach from the south as terrain got in the way from the north.

Deployment was very cagey with both of us trying to avoid committing our major units too early and thereby losing flexibility. Another factor I was mindful of is the opportunities and risks available to whoever, got first turn and the chance to destroy tokens. Ben started to favour the right flank with his units meaning I decided to favour the left as terrain was more open and if I could destroy some tokens on the right Ben would have a tricky job getting to the ones on the left.

I won the roll for first turn and took it, hoping to destroy all the tokens on the right flank forcing Ben to come all the way over to the far left flank to have a chance at winning the game.

Elf Turn 1

I thought winning first turn might be invaluable so decided to try and maximise my advantage by aggressively targeting the tokens on the right and setting up counter chargers if Ben responded by charging the token destroyers. The first token was targeted by my Drakon, Lord Amarynth, who sacrificed himself by standing in right front of two hungry giants and two Thull Mythicans to destroy the token near to Ben’s lines.

Ben had protected the second token I was targeting by scouting his swarm next to it. I didn’t want to sacrifice my Knights by moving into range of Ben’s charges so instead moved my Chariot (Feanor) up within range of the token and took aim with my Silverbreeze and Mage (Aeneas). The Knights moved to destroy the 3rd token which was bear my lines whilst positioning to charge in retaliation next turn along with the Spear horde and Seaguard Regiment.

On the left one token would be easy for Ben to destroy as it lay in his deployment zone. Another was safe from him as it was just in front of my deployment zone. The third was more difficult, I could move my silverbreeze into range of the token but nothing else, if Ben moved his Gigas up he could outnumber me and destroy the token in his turn. My only option was to reduce the odds of this occurring. I moved my Silverbreeze to block the gap between the building and board edge to prevent his Gigas or Knucker moving past. He’d need a 4 inch overrun with the Gigas if he committed them (there was a good chance they’d then die if they did) or a 5 inch overrun with his Knucker if he avoided committing the Gigas. My King, Palace Guard and Stormwind moved up to threaten the space around the key token.

Shooting started on the left where, despite being obscured by the Palace Guard, Alenui landed 5 hits on the Knucker 3 penetrating its scaly skin. The bolt thrower was less successful leaving the Gigas unscathed. On the right arrows and lightning rained down on the tidal swarm but somehow the tough shells repelled many blows and the swarm was just able to keep its nerve crucially preventing Feanor from destroying the 3rd token.

Trident Turn 1

The Knucker on the left charged the blocking Silverbreeze whilst the Gigas shuffled right and Eckter also ran right to position to block the Knights from moving against the Trident centre. In the centre the Thulls were pinned back by the units around the wood so only moved up slightly.

On the right both Giants couldn’t resist the opportunity to charge so Amarynth and Feanor were faced with the unenviable prospect of parrying a giant’s cleaver. With his remaining moves Ben started the process of swinging his units round to the left.

Combat began with a nervous roll as the Knucker rolled high on the nerve check and King Paweldran was too far away to help leaving my Silverbreeze to flee the field. All eyes were on the overrun roll but fortunately for the Elves Ben fell short of the 5 needed. Feanor’s chariot was hewn in two by the Giant but Amarynth was able to hold firm vs his Giant despite his spirit wavering.

Elf Turn 2

I was happy to see my gamble on the left had paid off and the objective marker had not been destroyed. To my surprise Ben had also opted not to destroy the marker in his deployment zone, hopefully he doesn’t have a trick up his sleeve I haven’t spotted. With the Knucker now in range I charged the Palace Guard in hoping to clear him off and give me a clear run at the Gigas. The Gigas had used their crab legs to get out of the Bolt Thrower’s sights so I advanced and pivoted to increase it’s arc of vision.

I decided to charge King Paweldran into Eckter if I landed a wound it would be a bonus as I expected him to move off rather than counter charge me next turn. The position left me able to see the Gigas next turn if I wanted to charge with him and the Palace Guard. The Stormwind and Forest Guard shuffled to improve their positioning hoping they could pin back Ben’s Thulls in the centre.

On the left Ben had decided not to move significant Unit Strength to contest the objective marker meaning my knights alone could still destroy it. I decided my best bet would be to use my one use of Pathfinder to go through the woods and out of the arc of most of Ben’s units. I was fairly sure Ben didn’t want Elven knights galloping around his rear and this move would allow me to destroy the token and delay him moving units round. To support this the Seaguard also moved into the wood to open up charge options next turn.

The Spears, mage and Silverbreeze all backed up hoping to slow down the Trident advance by limiting Ben’s charge options.

Alenui blessed the blades of the Palace Guard’s swords with a glowing nimbus light whilst most shooting clearing off the Swarm that had escaped my wrath last turn. Combat was straightforward as the Palace Guard carved the Knucker into pieces and King Paweldran failed to land a wound on Eckter.

Trident Turn 2

Ben needed to clear some units quickly on the right to give him space to move. One Giant went back into the Drakon to finish it off whilst the other charged the Silverbreeze in my deployment zone. The Mythicans moved to block up units, the one with the Gnome Glass Shield charged the Spear Horde and another went into the Knights on the right.

The Gigas on the left moved to block the Palace Guard from charging them, whilst Eckter put himself on the hill the Thulls hid behind. Most other units shuffled up ready to cause problems next turn. Shooting saw Eckter blast the Forest Guard pushing them out of the wood and causing some damage.

Combat started with the Mythican wading into the Spears causing 5 damage with his 5 attacks! The other Mythican landed a single wound on the Quicksilver Cav. Amarynth (Drakon Lord) was easily dispatched by one Giant while the other also managed to kill the Silverbreeze and then reform to face the Spear Horde’s flank! (I hadn’t accounted for this thinking if Ben charged my Silverbreeze with the Giant he’d be pulled out of position).

Elf Turn 3

The initial skirmishes has finished and although my plan had largely worked so far I’d struggled to get little things to go my way that would have made life very difficult for Ben. He had charges set up on my remaining units on the right. Now it would come down to him getting enough of his troops over to the left in time.

On the left my Cavalry and Seaguard continued to try and keep Ben occupied but the Cavalry were now trapped and would be pinned down next turn. After my mistake with positioning the Silverbreeze the Spear Horde were also likely to die next turn so I had to counter charge the Mythician and hope that they would at least build up some decent damage on him. The mage Aeneas used his full move to get far away from the giant and Mythicans hoping to come back into the game as a blocker later on.

The Palace Guard moved past the building so that they could fight the Gigas next turn whilst King Paweldran charged them in the rear to keep them in place and hopefully soften them up significantly for the Palace Guard. The Stormwind Cavalry were getting into a tricky place with Eckter likely to shut them down So I moved the Forest Guard up aggressively to help out with the Thulls.

Shooting was limited with Alenui using his lightning bolt to land a wound on Eckter. Combat started well for the Elves with Paweldran carving up the Gigas in the rear. It got even better, however, as the Elven Spearmen showed immense skill to drive holes in the Mythican’s Gnome Glass Shield, skewering the tentacled monstrosity. They then reformed to face the Giant so that if Ben wanted a flank charge he’d need to commit his Thulls from the centre away from the key objective markers on the left.

Finally the Stormwind Cavalry destroyed one of the markers on the left to reduce the number I needed to hold as Ben looked able to bring round enough of his army that I was starting to get nervous and would rather have the Stormwind sacrifice themselves to protect the Palace Guard than trying to keep them and a third token safe.

Trident Turn 3

Ben was now in position to finish off the right flank. Combo charges were issued on the Spears Horde and Quicksilver Cavalry. The Gigas also came out of hiding to charge the Palace Guard whilst a Mythican charged the flank of the Forest Guard. The remaining units started sprinting towards the left as fast as they could.

Combats went as expected with the Spears and the Knights selling their lives dearly knowing poets would write about their sacrifice for millennia. The Gigas did some damage on the Palace Guard whilst the Mythican managed to waver the Forest Guard.

Elf Turn 4

There was little left for me to do but try and hold on. With Ben having 3/4 turns left that was starting to look like it might be a challenge. The Palace Guard and King charged the Gigas which allowed me to save my bane chant for a desperate charge by my Stormwind on Eckter.

Aeneas and his Unicorn had to go at the double again to avoid the Giant whilst also getting on the hill to open up options next turn. The Forest Guard were fortunately able to pivot and block Ben up this turn whilst the Seaguard were basically dead so they moved out of the wood to pot shot Ben’s Thulls.

Alenui focused all his will on enhancing the swords of the charging Knights (their lances apparently useless because Eckter held a stick). The Seaguard also chipped a wound on the Thulls.

Combat saw the Gigas easily dispatched by the King and his Palace Guard. The major combat, however, saw the Stormwind surround Eckter stabbing and slashing at his hardened scales. Several blows struck true but alas Eckter ignored the damage and fought on.

Trident Turn 4

Ben was seizing control of the game. Eckter fled from the Stormwind’s Wrath his place taken by a Mythican. The Thulls moved up to get round the flank of the Palace Guard. In the centre the Thulls charged the Forest Guard whilst the Wyrmriders and Giant moved around them. The Knucker on the right and Mythican combined to charge the Seaguard.

Combat saw the Seaguard and the Forest Guard quickly perish. Hopes of an epic fail by the Mythican fighting the Stormwind were quickly quashed as it landed a couple of wounds to prevent the Knights being an unlikely saviour.

Elf Turn 5

Things were getting very desperate for the Elves. I was going to have to gamble on there being no turn 7 and even then I’d need some luck. The Wyrmriders and Giant coming from the south were an issue I couldn’t take a double charge this turn which ruled out my King charging the Wyrms. Instead I moved to block the Wyrms charging the Palace Guard using the building and stayed just out of the Giant’s charge range.

The north side of the building was even more challenging. The Thulls who had gotten around the side of the Palace Guard were a huge issue. I couldn’t do much about it this turn other than lightning bolt them and pray but I really needed to shutdown Eckter so Aeneas charged in off the hill whilst Alenui moved up to inspire the Stormwind. Finally the bolt thrower did the first useful thing all game and blocked the Giant from charging the Stormwind’s flank.

Shooting started well with Alenui casting Bane Chant on the Stormwind. Disaster struck, however, as Aeneas failed to cast Host of the Shadow Beast leaving him precariously in combat with Eckter! Combat unsurprisingly saw Aeneas’ single attack fail to wound Eckter. The Stormwind had better luck with a low damage roll being offset by a decent nerve roll wavering the Mythican.

I fear that victory was now out of my grasp and I’d now be holding on for fear life to salvage a draw.

Trident Turn 5

Ben had plenty of charges and happily went about enacting revenge on the elves for all manner of imagined slights. Eckter forgo using his Windblast to instead charge Aeneas and shut him down. The Wyrmriders charged King Paweldran, the Thulls into the Stormwind and the giant grumpily had to settle for the bolt thrower.

Combat saw Eckter land several wounds on Aeneas but a low nerve roll meant he could still act next turn. The Thulls aided by the Mythican’s TC aura wavered the Stormwind and the giant jumped up and down on the poor bolt thrower improving his mood immensely. The Wyrmriders having made a pact with the devil caused enormous damage on King Paweldran (11 vs an average of 6) but as always with these deals there was an unexpected clause in the contract and a double 1 for nerve left Ben aghast.

Elf Turn 6

I pivoted my Palace Guard to put the Thulls in my front arc. I was down to my last line of blockers so the mages Alenui and Aeneas drew their swords and moved in front of the Palace Guard. King Paweldran shaken but not deterred by the Wyrmrider’s vicious attack lowered his shield and raised his blade to the foul sea snakes.

Alenui targeted the wounded Mythican with his lightning bolt. Bolts flew through the air hammering into the beast’s tentacles blasting it from its feet leaving it wavered. In combat Paweldran cut deeply into several Wyrms but they remained unphased.

Trident Turn 6

Ben charged my remaining 3 individuals with his a Thull, Giant and Wyrms. The 2nd Giant and Thull Regiment combo charged the wavered Stormwind.

In the shooting phase Eckter used his windblast to push the Palace Guard back off one of the objectives allowing his Thull to claim it. Combat saw Alenui stand tall whilst Paweldran and Aeneas fell. Ben rolled for a turn 7 (I now ironically wanted) but my slim hopes died and the battle ended.

Trident Realms win 2-1.

Narrative ending:

King Paweldran looked out from the tower his torso heavily bandaged from the injuries he had suffered in the recent battle. His keen Elven ears heard the violent crashing of waves on the coastline. No traders would entrust their wares to be shipped in such dangerous conditions. The coffers of his kingdom would suffer as taxes fell. The raiders from the sea had done huge damage to the network of wards along the Coast it would take years to fully recover from the damage of one day. Tiring Paweldran returned to his bed, his dreams that night would once again be full of vengeance.

Conclusions and Recriminations:

Another thrilling game! Only this time it involved me spending most of it clinging on to a cliff edge gradually shuffling my fingers backwards. I definitely enjoy chasing more than I do defending a lead! I hope you enjoyed what was IMO a totally different game despite so many factors being the same as the last one.

Congratulations to Ben, I really like the extra speed he added to his list and he made less mistakes so was a deserved winner.

There were a few clear mistakes I made (plus a few more I’m sure I’ve missed) and some questions for me to ponder. In terms of mistakes turn 2 my Silverbreeze should have been pushed up so that if the Giant killed them it would have been stuck behind a rock thereby protecting the Spear’s flank and slowing him down. Turn 3 the Forest Guard should have angled to prevent the Thull regiment getting loose in the left. Ben wavered me next turn but he probably wouldn’t have gambled on putting the Thulls in such a dangerous position when he only had a Mythican to attack me with.

The big one, however, was a complete brain fail, Turn 6 I should have destroyed the top of my two tokens as Ben could easily push me off it and the Thulls would claim it. I was only thinking that it would be draw as I hadn’t thought about the Thulls claiming it for some reason. This would have salvaged a draw for me with the game ending turn 6.

It was interesting to play in a style that isn’t my preference. I’m usually looking to be aggressive and win by killing my opponent first then seeking objectives late game. I wonder to what extent my army list is suited to how I used it as sacrificing expensive units like the Drakon Lord early on may not be a viable tactic. I certainly tend to rely on shooting to stop Ben overwhelming my forces and I sorely missed a few turns of softening him up here. It felt like I’d sacrificed two turns of the game with how aggressively I moved turn 1 and this left Ben an awful lot of time to get across the board.

One thought I had to play differently was regarding where I deployed my Spears. I deployed them last just after Ben’s last unit. At this point I was fairly committed to being aggressive in killing tokens if I got first turn. The spears weren’t needed for this role and were hampered by terrain on the right. Ben’s army was fully down and I knew Eckter would be a problem, having two infantry hordes (my only real threat to him) facing him could have made a huge difference. My Spears could gone behind my Palace Guard and then both spreading out into the open area of the board.

I was really unhappy with having Aeneas (mounted mage) and King Paweldran separate, I didn’t want to do it and tried to put them both fairly central so that I could bring them together but instead they pulled apart as I needed them to do different jobs. Perhaps I should have moved Aeneas back to the left full speed turn 2 but I was focused on ensuring the swarm died and trying to clear off the Gnome Glass Shield as a bonus.

I feel like terrain (and how I managed it) was a huge factor in this game and I’m not entirely sure how to handle deploying on the top side of this map. I think both hordes probably have to go on the left and maybe both cavalry on the right to use the available gaps in terrain. It’s certainly something for me to ponder as the removal of potion of the caterpillar from the game has really limited my army’s options when it comes to terrain management.

Ben’s Conclusions

Well that was interesting! Paul played a very different game to his usual dance and shoot play. He basically went with the same plan I’d discussed before, destroy your opponents scoring tokens and control the side where you’re strong and it very nearly worked! The fact he went first and pushed his units out meant he controlled the tokens but gave me lots of charges which my army loves. I think the dice were rolling hot as everything I touched seamed to die at first contact but that’s what a combat army can do.

For my army I liked the additional speed and it really helped in this game. I think the bane chant is a bit of a trap choice as your Thulls are speeding ahead and it’s hard to benefit from the aura and bane chant if you only move up 6 with the Mythican. I don’t think I missed the Naiad Centurion as the Mythicans are so good and if I use the 20 points from bane chant on other items I think I’ll get over not having the Naiad.

The scenery played a big part in the game as did Paul going first. This map had a lot of scenery and my list having 5 pathfinder units plus two Giants with Strider was very helpful. If I’d gone first I’d have been able to delete a few tokens and defend a few which would have changed the dynamic totally so going forward I need to plan for going second by improving my token placement, probably focusing on a more central placement so that I don’t end up so far away from the objectives I need.

Overall a fun game and one of the most one sided from a kill perspective for a while but as Paul showed as long as you’ve got control of the tokens you’re always still in the game.

3 Likes

Battle Report 20

2300pts vs Forces of Nature: Control

Narrative Intro:

Amarynth flew over the southern reaches of the forest, below him scouts were spread out searching for signs of troop movements. Only Elven eyes were sharp enough to discern the trail left by the monsters of the forest from that of the friendly creatures. A large herd of centaurs had been moving through the forests near the city of Bel-Valdar. With the destruction of the wards along the coast the creatures from the forest had become bolder encroaching into Elven territory. Amarynth had convinced his brother. the King and the council to let him lead to an expeditionary force to strike back against the Forces of the Forest.

His sharp eyes glimpsed movement to his right. Gliding down Amarynth saw the herd of Centaurs. Pulling on the reins of Navarel his trusty companion he set off back to the main force marching down the costal road.

Game Intro and Lists:

After a repeat match up against Ben last time I’m doing something slightly different this time. I’ve switched opponents to the definition of a gentleman and scholar my friend Ed. He would be bringing Forces of Nature which I’ve faced many times but he likes to keep his list fresh and this time he’d brought something a little unusual.

Elf List:

2300pts

My list remains unchanged as I’m keen to keep the focus on improving how I use it as most of the unit decisions are based on models I want to paint up and put on the board.

Forces of Nature List:

Keris: 80pts
Wiltfather: 300pts
Druid: Conjurers Staff, Bane Chant, Heal, Mindfog: 105pts
Unicorn: Knowledgable, Lightning bolt, Host of the Shadow Beast: 155pts

Centaur Strider Regiment: Otter, Staying Stone: 170pts
Centaur Strider Regiment: Otter: 165pts
Hunters of the Wild Regiment: 140pts
Hunters of the Wild Regiment: 140pts
Hunters of the Wild Troop: Nimble: 100pts
Hunters of the Wild Troop: 90pts
Scorchwing Regiment: 120pts
Scorchwing Regiment: 120pts
Beast of Nature: Wings, 7 Attacks: 205pts
Pegasus: 80pts

2300pts

Ed’s list had a lot of cheap units, I hate playing against Centaur regiments they always seem too difficult to deal with for their points. You kill one and another one punishes you. He also had plenty of Hunters who have cheap defence 5 and scout to help make up for their lack of speed.

Around this core Ed had several flyers and efficient support units along with a Wiltfather to anchor his lines. I had an advantage in shooting that I’d need to leverage to either clear Ed’s shooting off or at least to discourage Ed from using it too freely in the opening turns.

Deployment and Scenario

We rolled a random map and scenario resulting in a fairly open board and the mission being control.

I won the roll for sides and chose to go south as there was less terrain to hinder me as I expected Ed to come to me and I didn’t want too much terrain blunting my eventual charges. This gave Ed some terrain to deploy in but less cover as he moved across the board.

Ed would get to place 3 units after me and had 5 scouting units so I based my deployment on the available terrain with most of my units going in the left 2/3rds of the board and my nimble units on the right as they could redeploy as required. Ed formed 3 main groups two of centaurs and Scorchwings deployed in cover facing the bulk of my army on the left then he put all his scouting units (hunters and Wiltfather) on the right.

I won the roll for first turn and took it as I wanted to maximise my shooting and prevent Ed from applying pressure before I could react.

Elf Turn 1

With most of Ed’s troops beginning the game in cover there weren’t a lot of targets worth shooting at, especially as I would open myself up to Ed’s Scorchwings and Keris. One of the troops of Hunters were just in range of my central shooters though and I was keen to limit how quickly that flank swept round so if I could pick up one of the closer units that would be helpful. So I made minor moves to get clean shots on the troop.

On the left there was very little worth targeting so a few units repositioned and my mage crept up the slope of the hill to target the unicorn. Finally on the right my Forest Guard started their move to the centre and the knights and Drakon backed up a little hoping to prevent Ed swinging round too aggressively with his Hunters but looking to delay any confrontation.

Shooting saw a Hunter troop peppered with arrows and lightning. The tough bark shielded the forest dwellers from the arrows. Only Alenui’s lightning and the heavy bolts from the Elven war machine were able to cause any damage at all. Fortunately the ill-disciplined creatures were wavered so wouldn’t be able to advance as a screen for the units behind.

Nature Turn 1

Ed matched my cautious approach to the early moves of the battle. The Scorchwings seeing that the Elves wouldn’t expose themselves first moved past the centaurs staying in cover but exposing themselves to the elven shooting. Very little else moved much on the left side of the board as Ed presumably wanted to bring his right flank round rather than commit piecemeal.

Other than the wavered Hunter troop, which backed up to let the regiment behind through, Ed pushed up aggressively with his right flank keen to bring them into the fight. Shooting was limited to the Unicorn firing it’s lightning bolt at Aeneas a single wound was caused but despite the fog of misery the Druid cast on him the Elven mage was undeterred.

Elf Turn 2

Ed’s aggressive move on the right had given me the option to charge with my Knights and the Drakon Lord Amarynth. With the nearest Hunter troop already damaged I could hopefully clear two units from Ed’s flanking force off so I went in. The Forest Guard advanced through the wood to restrict Ed’s options on the right.

With Ed’s Scorchwings now in sight my shooting units moved to target them. The unit in the centre was the main threat (in particular to my Knights on the right) so all my units moved to be able to target them as the primary target. The remaining units moved up adding pressure on the left as I wanted to engage here before the right flank could swing round.

Shooting saw damage only build up gradually on the Scorchwings meaning only the Seaguard could afford to target the damaged Hunter troop. As luck would have it the Hunters had simply had enough of being shot at and cravenly fled the field much to Ed’s chagrin. The Scorchwings were much braver as Keris’ urgings means they were only wavered.

In combat the Knight’s lances tore through the Hunters, but this was nothing compared to Amarynth his ancestral Lance of Valdar skewed a Hunter with every thrust. Terrified the remaining forest creatures scattered.

Nature Turn 2

Ed remained cautious with the centaurs holding back. A few elements moved up and the Scorchwings charged the Silverbreeze in the centre. Most of the movement, however, was on the right as the Hunters charged down the hill into Lord Amarynth and the remaining units swung round to face the centre.

Shooting was surprisingly eventful with Keris’ staff blinding the Elven steeds of the Silverbreeze near the wood causing the Elven scouts to withdraw. Meanwhile Aeneas barely held his nerve when confronted by the Druid’s mind fog. Combat went better for the Elves as the Hunters and Scorchwings failed to strike fear into Lord Amarynth or the remaining Silverbreeze cavalry.

Elf Turn 3

Ed had committed his Scorchwings but also shutdown the shooting of one Silverbreeze unit and routed another. I needed to finish off both Scorchwing units this turn so that I could threaten Ed’s main units. The Palace Guard joined the Silverbreeze in fighting one unit whilst most of my available shooting moved to target the damaged unit with Keris as a secondary target.

The Seaguard moved to protect the bolt thrower and mage from the unwanted attentions of the Pegasus in the wood. On the right the Knights and Lord Amarynth moved out of charge range and arc so that they could charge next turn. This allowed the Forest Guard to charge the Hunters Regiment Amarynth had been fighting.

On the left my units continued to shuffle up but largely stayed out of charge range other than Lord Feanor who boldly moved up to challenge the Centaurs to come out of the woods and face him. As he issued his challenge Feanor lifted his bow and with inhuman Elven speed sent arrow after arrow into the Scorchwing regiment killing the remaining survivors.

Lord Feanor’s heroics were mimicked as both mages targeted Keris’ with lightning doing significant damage meaning she’d be licking her wounds next turn rather than harassing the Elven knights. Finally the Seaguard very nearly broke the Pegasus in the forest but a stern grumble from Father Wilt steadied it’s nerve.

Combat saw the Silverbreeze and Palace Guard easily carve through the Scorchwings, whilst the Forest Guard’s axes dropped several Hunters many more rose up to take the fallen’s place.

Nature Turn 3

The Wiltfather fearing the potent combination of the Elven Knights and Lord Amarynth moved back to support the remaining Hunters of the Wild units who charged the Forest Guard. Meanwhile the Pegasus seeing the exposed flank of the Palace Guard looked to distract the noble warriors.

The Elves had advanced far enough on the left that Ed decided it was time to commit. Two Centaur units answered Lord Feanor’s challenge, the other two units moved up in support. The Beast of Nature charged the Silverbreeze in the flank blocking the Elven spear horde from charging the Centaurs.

Fearing the Stormwind’s potent charge the Unicorn decided to strike first. As the Unicorn galloped towards the Elven cavalry regiment it’s innate magical abilities called forth the spirit of a mighty unicorn from ages past to aid him in his hour of need (Host of the a Shadow Beast). The twin creatures launched themselves into the knights but for all their might the Stormwind held strong with only a few casualties.

The Silverbreeze were no match for a flank charge from the Beast of Nature and try as he might Lord Feanor could not keep his chariot from fleeing from the combined Centaur charge. On the right the Hunters cleared off the Forest Guard troop.

Elf Turn 4

The Quicksilver Cavalry lowered their lances and charged the Hunters Regiment whilst Lord Amarynth went into the troop to stop the Wiltfather reaching the knights. The Centaur units on the left were charged by King Paweldran and the Palace Guard and the Spears charged off the hill into the Beast of Nature.

Shooting started off with the Seaguard showing off their bowmanship peppering the Centaurs with arrows. Alenui and Aeneas rained lightning down on the Pegasus. With the Pegasus injured I decided to gamble on firing the bolt thrower at at the Centaurs hoping to waver them. I immediately cursed my choice as the nerve roll fell one short of wavering the Pegasus. Fortunately confidence in my tactical genius was immediately restored as I rolled a 10 twice for the Centaurs’ nerve routing them.

The Stormwind drew their swords striking at the Unicorn but fell just short of wavering it. Meanwhile the spear horde easily drove off the Beast of Nature with a few well aimed thrusts.

Nature Turn 4

On the right the Wiltfather and Hunter troop charged Lord Amarynth who was buying time for the Knights to get away from the grumpy tree.

Shooting taking out the Centaurs meant Ed really needed some luck to go his way in the centre. The main focus was the Palace Guard, my failure to waver the Pegasus meant it could charge the flank along with a Centaur unit in the front. The other Centaur unit countercharged the King. If Ed could break the King he had a decent chance of overrunning into the Palace Guard.

To this end the Druid attempted to cast Bane Chant on the Centaurs but even with the help of his staff blessed by the Green Lady herself (Conjurer’s Staff) he couldn’t muster the power for the crucial spell. Keris faired only slightly better managing to land only a single wound on Aeneas but at least this disordered the young Elven mage.

Combat also started poorly for Ed as without the help of a Shadow Beast the Unicorn couldn’t land a single wound on the Stormwind meaning they could charge at full strength next turn either into the Unicorn or another target. Ed faired better on the right where he comfortably routed Lord Amarynth who was far too wise to duel with a giant tree.

All eyes were on the key central combats. Unfortunately the Centaurs facing the King continued the theme of the turn rolling poorly never really threatening King Paweldran. This meant Ed really need some hot dice versus the Palace Guard things started well with the Pegasus causing 4 wounds in the flank but alas the Centaurs could only roll about average which and Ed’s decent nerve roll fell agonisingly short of wavering the Elven elite (cheers Staying Stone!).

Elf Turn 5

The Elves keen to take advantage of the opportunities before them set about dealing with the remaining forces they faced. The Palace Guard counter charged the Pegasus which made room for the Spear Horde to charge the Centaurs with the support of King Paweldran. The Stormwind decided it was better to finish off the elusive Unicorn whilst he was in lance range. Finally Alenui and the Seaguard moved into the wood to target the remaining Hunter troop.

Shooting was limited as the Hunters were left unscathed by the few bolts and arrows that reached them. The bolt thrower, however, managed to waver Keris preventing her staff from disordering my mages.

Combat saw the Stormwind’s lances strike true slaying the majestic but troublesome unicorn before them. The Palace Guard put an end to the annoyingly persistent Pegasus and the Centaurs were no match for the combined charge from the Spears and King Paweldran.

Nature Turn 5

Ed’s turn was fairly uneventful, the Druid cast mind fog on the Palace Guard but fell just short of wavering it. His Centaurs again struggled against the King not even wavering him.

Elf Turn 6

The Seaguard and Alenui in the wood attempted to rout the last Hunter troop but didn’t come close. The combined charge of the Stormwind and Spears was too much for the remaining Centaurs. Finally Aeneas surrounded by a glowing nimbus (Shadow Beast) ran down Keris.

Nature Turn 6

The lone Druid cast Mind Fog on the Palace Guard but again failed to shake their resolve. Ed continued to roll low and there would be no turn 7.

Elves win 6-1.

Narrative ending:

Aeneas conferred with Svendil, captain of the rangers. Following the decisive victory against the Centaur host raids had ceased on the Elven settlements near the Forest. Whilst Svendil and his trackers had been tasked with seeking any trails showing the Forest Creatures force’s withdrawl was only a ruse, Aeneas was looking for different trails. Satisfied that the Druids hadn’t had found time to leave any mystical traps, Aeneas mounted his faithful unicorn companion Raina and headed back to Bel-Valdar to inform the Loremaster Eldroth.

It was great to play Ed again after a long break. It was unfortunate, however, that his dice were so pleased to see me. I think I had a slight edge luck-wise going into turn 4 with no key rolls going particularly badly. Turn 4 onwards, however, was frankly ridiculous I started it off by killing his Centaurs who I only targeted as I couldn’t turn the Seaguard to face the Pegasus without exposing their flank to the Centaurs. From there my dice were steady but Ed’s were utterly abysmal. It’s probably good for my heart rate after the last two nail biting games to have a game close out comfortably but it’s a lot less fun.

The Centaurs dying was the defining moment of the game it became seriously uphill for Ed from that point. If the Centaurs were still there the Palace Guard probably go down in his turn 4. His Pegasus would also be free to block my Spearmen on the hill. If my King could hold out and my Stormwind at least waver the unicorn in the the next turn I’m probably still ok but there’s a lot of probables that need to go my way, sooner or later they don’t.

I also think the terrain was in my favour. I generally think Epic Dwarf’s Map Pack does a great job getting the balance between terrain and open ground right but a couple are a bit too open and this was one of them. It meant my units had a lot of freedom to charge unhindered and there wasn’t much Ed could utilise to curtail that freedom. It was strange coming after my last game, where the terrain was extremely challenging, for it to have very little impact in this game.

I built an advantage in the early game by having success on the right flank. I was hoping to use my Knights and Drakon to delay and draw Ed away from the centre before I used nimble moves to redeploy into the centre myself once he was drawn far enough in. Getting the opportunity to charge the Regiment with a vulnerable to shooting troop in behind put Ed in a real jam as he had limited capacity to counter in the next turn. This gave me a draw on that flank and fully delayed the reinforcement Ed was relying on to offset my advantage in the centre.

One thing I thought was a mistake on my part turned out to be somewhat of a blessing. After my turn 2 charge on the right it was possible to turn my knights to face the Hunters units without allowing them to charge past my Drakon (I’d overlooked this option when I was looking). Instead I ended up having to wait another turn to charge in. This actually helped in two ways though firstly the Wiltfather continued to move forwards for another turn before turning back basically limiting his ability to get involved in the game and secondly it limited the freedom of the Centaurs for a turn.

After looking at Ed’s list I’m going to make one minor tweak to my list. I noticed how cheap it is to buy extra casting dice for Host of the Shadowbeast. Having failed to cast at crucial times in both recent games vs Ben I’m going to drop Mace of Crushing on the Drakon Lord to give my mounted mage the tier 2 version with 3 casting dice (4 if you include Conjurer’s Staff).

5 Likes

It was interesting to see how the rematch played out.

I think that a major factor of the result in game 19 was that you tried an approach that simultaneously was not the playstyle your list is designed for and played into Trident Realm’s strength (getting stuck in favours ensare combat units).

Yeah you’re right, if I could have taken out the swarm turn 1 It would have helped a lot as I could have backed up turn 2 on the right and tried to buy more time.

1 Like

This was not a good day for the Forces of Nature. It is true that the dice weren’t kind to me, but I contributed to my own downfall, especially on the right, where I gave the Elves the chance to double charge the rear regiment of Hunters that I had pushed up too far in turn 2, not wanting them to be too slowed down by the wavered troop. I should have just shown patience. My game plan was to try to rush the right side of the battlefield, but instead I had to spend the rest of the game dealing with the nimble Stormwind regiment and Drakon Lord. Elsewhere, Paul played it well and forced me into bad exchanges (Beast of Nature for a troop of Silverbreeze, for example). I look forward to the rematch!

2 Likes

Battle Report 21

2300pts vs Trident Realms: Salt the Earth

Narrative Intro:

Alenui and Aeneas stood silently, eyes closed. The large gem before them glowed a bright green. Unseen to those without the gift of magic, swirling threads of power were being drawn into the gem. Crafted by the Elven smiths and loremasters the gem would become a powerful ward, calming the tempestuous sea along the coastline. It would take years to bring the ward to full power as Elven magic required all the patience of the long-lived ones. Many wards would be needed to calm the mighty Alaitoc sea but Elven craftsmen and mages of the required skill were few in number and the task would take decades to fully complete.

Suddenly the mages’ focus was interrupted by war horns blowing. As feared the Trident King had dispatched more troops to prevent the Elves from re-establishing their wards. Fortunately King Paweldran had wisely brought a force in anticipation of such a move. The two young mages moved swiftly to join the army knowing their skills would be required to destroy rather than create this day.

• Game Intro and Lists:*

With one win each and two thrillingly close games, Ben and I decided we really needed a decider. So this will be the finale of our trilogy of games using the same map and scenario (Battle Reports 18 & 19 being parts 1 & 2). I hope you’ll enjoy the tactical progression through these report and that it makes up for the repetition.

Elf List

Mage (Aeneas): Lightning Bolt, Conjurers Staff, Host of the Shadow Beast (3): 150pts

Drakon Lord (Amarynth): 160pts

2300pts

As discussed at the end of the last report I’ve tweaked the list by dropping Mace of Crushing from the Drakon Lord to buy an extra level of Host of the Shadow Beast as when it fails to cast it can be a huge issue.

Trident Realms List:

Thull Mythican: Gnome Glass Shield: 90pts

Naiad Wyrmriders: Brew of Haste: 275pts

Thull Mythican: TC 1 Aura, 9 inch Aura: 105pts

Thull Regiment: Healing Brew: 175pts

2300pts

Ben‘s list was unchanged from last time (Battle Report 19).

Deployment and Scenario

The map should hopefully be familiar to you by now. In the previous games I’d found that taking the south side had given a significant advantage because the route to the central token (that can’t be destroyed in Salt the Earth) was open ground from the south but heavily covered by terrain from the north. To try and even the playing field in case I didn’t get the south side I deployed all my tokens on the left flank which had more open ground to the north and a building limiting whoever got the south. This resulted in 4 tokens on the left side of the large wood which dominated the board and 3 to the right.

Ben won the roll for sides and chose to take the south side. Although probably not the best outcome for me I was happy to have a chance to redeem myself from the last game where I’d lost the game deploying from the north side.

I endeavoured to learn from my mistakes in the previous game. Both my cavalry regiments went on the right flank where they could fit through the gaps in terrain which my Infantry hordes couldn’t. The Infantry hordes ended up directly behind each other this was in part because Ben had placed the Wyrmriders on the extreme left flank and I wanted my Spearmen to match up against them but had already deployed my Palace Guard to be able to push up towards that flank if needed. My plan had always been that they would overlap somewhat initially to allow me to move into the open ground outside my deployment zone.

My plan was to delay/threaten/frustrate Ben on the right with my faster units whilst my infantry would hopefully dominate the left. However, Ben decided to also concentrate his forces more on the left which would be interesting as he was hampered by the building but he had several smaller units that could overwhelm me. It did mean that the right flank was more or less up for grabs as we were reasonably evenly matched on that side. Ben won the roll for first turn and took it which put me in an unfamiliar position (I tend to be lucky on the first turn roll and Ben often chooses to go second if he does win the roll).

• Trident Realms Turn 1*

Ben decided to seize the initiative, both of his Knuckers pushed up, one very aggressively focused on the token just out of reach of my deployment zone. This immediately put me under pressure, there were quite a few spaces Ben could exploit next turn if I left the front Knucker alone or he could pin back my forces whilst bringing a large chunk of his army into charge range the next turn.

Most of the rest of the units moved up getting in position to react to any of my moves and hoping to pin me back limiting my movement options. If there was any doubt about Ben’s aggressive intentions he put them to rest destroying no fewer than four of the seven objective markers!

Elves Turn 1

After losing the last game by being aggressive and getting into combat before softening Ben up with shooting I was rather dismayed that Ben had not only got the first turn but used it to aggressively put me under immediate pressure. On the left I looked around in vain for a way to buy some time before engaging but the foremost Knucker was simply too close for me not to deal with it this turn.

The first thing I had to do was sacrifice the Silverbreeze by charging the second Knucker to block up Ben’s path past the building. I Then needed an unhindered Palace Guard charge on the Knucker so the Seaguard Regiment also went in to keep the horde out of the wood. This meant the Palace Guard’s flank was vulnerable to the Coral Giant and Wyrmriders so I had to move my Drakon Lord (Amarynth) to block this. The Spearmen advanced to threaten the left side units if Ben killed the Lord Amarynth.

I was under a lot less pressure on the right, the only unit nearby was the Swarm so I moved to focus my shooting on it whilst repositioning my units to limit Ben’s options to advance.

Shooting saw the swarm easily cleared off despite most shooters being limited to aiming through cover. Alenui was also able to cast Bane Chant on the Palace Guard as I didn’t want to risk the Knucker surviving if I could help it.

Combat was successful with the Silverbreeze somehow managing to land 4 vicious blows on one Knucker in addition to the Palace Guard easily dispatching the second. The Palace Guard reformed to face the left side stopping the other Knucker from charging them next turn plus now giving the Spearmen a clear path through to charge past next turn.

Trident Realms Turn 2

My combat reform with the Palace Guard was immediately revealed as folly. The Knucker was able to free himself from the attentions of the Silverbreeze and the Thulls regiment now had a charge in the exposed flank of the Palace Guard! (I’d thought I was safe from the Thulls as if they pivoted at the start of their move they couldn’t draw a straight line to the Palace Guard but if they advanced a bit first they could!).

Ben decided not to accompany the the Thulls with the Mythican who instead charged the Seaguard to hold them up as his other units got into position. Meanwhile the other Mythican managed to roll a 3 for his Wild charge letting him block the Stormwind who otherwise threatened Ben’s centre. On the left the Giant charged in on my Drakon alone as I’d positioned so that Ben couldn’t fit both the Giant and Wyrmriders in. Finally the blocking Silverbreeze were charged in the flank by the second Thull regiment.

Shooting was unfortunately (for the Elves) rather eventful as Eckter’s windblast somehow routed the Silverbreeze in the wood on the right (I’d left them without inspire). The Mythican also used its Torc to cause Aeneas to temporarily forget he knew how to cast Host of the Shadow Beast. Combat saw the Drakon Lord defeated by the mighty Coral Giant and the second Silverbreeze unit failed to stand up to the flanking Thulls. Both Mythicans disordered their opponents ensure they could block the elves as required.

All eyes turned to the key combat as the flanking Thulls tore into the Palace Guard. With the extended range of the Thunderous charge Aura from the Mythican it would be 50/50 if the Thulls could punch a potentially decisive hole in the Elven lines. Fortunately for the Elves Ben rolled a little low on damage and didn’t even waver the elite Elven Warriors!

Elves Turn 2

The Palace Guard surviving and not even being wavered was a huge boon. They immediately countercharged the Thulls as I needed to inflict as much damage as I could with them before Ben finished them off. The Spearmen charged the Knucker which had exposed its flank whilst creating room for the Thulls to charge the Palace Guard.

On the right the Quicksilver Cavalry were now free so I decided to turn back to the centre as this placed more pressure on the Gigas forcing Ben to be more defensive. King Paweldran could charge the flank of one of the Gigas units and it would be risky for Ben to counter this move as my Quicksilvers were ready to retaliate. Lord Feanor meanwhile moved his Chariot to prevent the Mythican from charging the Quicksilvers.

Behind the wood in the centre the Forest Guard pivoted towards the right to give more support against the Gigas. Shooting was uneventful with a couple of wounds each on the Thull Regiment on the hill and the Giant on the right.

Unleashing their rage at being caught in the flank the Palace Guard’s double handed swords carved into the Thulls leaving only severed tentacles where the beasts once stood. Levelling their spears the other Elven horde were equally ferocious in dispatching the Knucker it’s scaled flank easily punctured by the finely crafted Elven weapons. The Seaguard were less successful failing to even damage the Mythican they faced.

King Paweldran’s ancestral blade Yahdra easily cut through the shell of a Giga but the unit remained unmoved. Lastly the Stormwind Knights drew their swords and landed several blows on the Mythican they faced but fell short of wavering their foe.

Trident Realms Turn 3

On the left the Giant charged the Spearmen whilst the Wyrmriders held back a turn as Ben was unwilling to risk them facing a thus far unharmed horde next turn. The Palace Guard had exposed their flank once more to a Thull a Regiment and Ben expecting better luck this time charged. The Gigas in the centre turned towards the right as Ben grew concerned at the threat of the Elven knights.

On the left the wounded Mythican left the Stormwind charging the Bolt Thrower, he was replaced by the Mythican protected by the Gnome Glass Shield. The Gigas engaged with the King decided to counter charge fearful of what he would do left to run free. In order to protect the Gigas from the knights Eckter and the Giant moved to create blockages stopping the Quicksilvers from charging past them.

The Bolt Thrower crew were no match for the frenzied attacks of the Mythican and abandoned their machine. The Gigas landed a severe wound on Paweldran but the King fought on. The Stormwind and Seaguard were both disordered by the Mythican’s they faced whilst the Giant’s cleaver smashed into the ranks of Elven spears. Once more the Thull caused havoc in the flank of the Palace Guard but despite being devastated there was no give in the proud warriors (double 1).

Elves Turn 3

The Palace Guard were once again able to avenge their casualties so charged the Thull Regiment in their flank. The Spears counter charged the Giant hoping for a bit of luck to waver or rout it before the Wyrmriders charged in.

In the centre King Paweldran charged the Mythican who had killed the bolt thrower whilst the Forest Guard charged the flank of the Mythican engaged with the Stormwind. Lord Feanor on his Chariot charged into the Gigas who were moving round to support. The Quicksilver Cavalry who were looking increasingly crucial for the Elven hopes rode past the rock back into the Elven deployment zone hoping to make a crucial intervention on the left late game.

Shooting was limited as Alenui blessed the Spearmen’s weapons and Aeneas’ lightning struck the side of the already damaged Gigas. There were quite a few combats this turn. The Seaguard kicked things off with making up for their failures last turn by wavering the Mythican they faced. The devastated Palace Guard had no such luck and would need to survive yet another round of a Thull attacks. Spears also fell short of wavering the Giant so would be hard pressed next turn.

Looking to the centre the injured Mythican was easily slain by King Paweldran and Lord Feanor’s halberd inflicted a vicious wound on a Giga but most excitement was around the Mythican fighting the Forest Guard and Stormwind. The Forest Guard crashed into the Mythican’s side shattering the protective Gnome Glass and causing several deep wounds on the sea horror. The Stormwind so shocked by this vicious display failed utterly to take advantage of the situation and didn’t land a single blow on the creature. The Mythican held its nerve not even wavering for a moment.

Trident Realms Turn 4

With the Spearmen Horde already nursing some damage the Wyrmriders joined the Giant hoping to finish the Elves off. The Thull Regiment once again went into the Palace Guard hoping to finally defeat the stubborn unit once and for all.

In the centre the Mythican went back into the Stormwind whilst Eckter moved up to further block the unit if needed. The Gigas fighting Lord Feanor decided to attack the chariot rather than use their nimble to get into the flank of the Forest Guard. The Giant and remaining Gigas moved up to threaten the Stormwind.

Combat saw both infantry hordes succumb on the left with the Thulls releasing a huge sigh of relief that the Palace Guard were finally vanquished. The Mythican again disordered the Stormwind in the centre.

Elves Turn 4

Both sides were starting to take heavy casualties and the Elves would need to take out some units this turn to keep the scales in balance. The left was in trouble but the cavalry was quite literally coming as the Quicksilvers moved round on to the hill to face the Wyrmriders and Coral Giant. The Seaguard seeing hope was at hand charged the damaged Thull hoping to go enough to finish them off as between ensnare and hindered they’d be hitting on 6s!

The nimble Forest Guard could just get out of arc of the Gigas and far enough into the wood to threaten the Giant’s flank if it went forward at the double. King Paweldran charged the Gigas who’d taken a fair bit of damage hoping with some help from Aeneas he could finish them off or at least leave them vulnerable to a late game lightning bolt.

Lightning cascaded from Alenui’s sword striking the Mythican square in the chest but alas the creature could not be unnerved.

Aeneas calling on the animal spirits unleashed a ghostly bear to aid King Paweldran in his fight with the Gigas. Between the King’s precise strikes and the bear flinging the crab like creatures left and right nothing could hope to survive and only Paweldran remained as the dust settled and the ghostly bear returned to the ether.

The Seaguard’s spears were sufficient to rout the remaining Thulls despite the entangling tentacles and hindering terrain and the seamen turned to face the Giant and Wyrmriders. The Stormwind were at last able to kill the Mythican in front of them and if they could roll a 3 or more on their combat reform they could escape the clutches of the Coral Giant with the rock protecting them. It was not to be, however, and a large cleaver to their rear featured prominently in the brave Elven knight’s future.

Trident Realms Turn 5

Ben’s Wyrmriders were able to see the mage Alenui and the Seaguard, he decided to charge the mage hoping to overrun into the Seaguard who would then be without inspire. The Mythican charged the Quicksilver Cavalry but had to go in the flank so wouldn’t block a charge, the Giant also moved up to threaten the proud knights on the hill. The right flank saw the Giant charge the Stormwind in the rear and Eckter charged the King whilst the Gigas moved into the central forest.

Combat saw Ben get revenge for the Gigas as King Paweldran was easily routed by Eckter and the Giant smashed aside the Stormwind. The Mythican was also able to disordering the Quicksilver Cav. The key combat, however, saw the Wyrmriders charge only result in a waver on the mage leaving their flank exposed to the Elven Cavalry.

Elves Turn 5

The Knights charged down the hill into the flank of the Wyrmriders alongside the Seaguard who charged in the front. The Forest Guard meanwhile charged out of the wood into the flank of the Coral Giant. Aeneas keen to see off the last surviving troublesome Mythican urged his steed Raina forwards catching the Sea Creature from behind whilst calling forth on elemental spirits to aid him (Host of the Shadow Beast).

Augmented by magic and wielding the mythical sword Yandroth, Aeneas decapitated the Thull Mythican in a single fluid motion. The Coral Giant caught unawares was swiftly hamstrung before being finished off by the heavy two handed draichs of the Forest Guard. Finally the Elven Knights and Seaguard swiftly routed the Wyrmriders who had no interest in being caught between lance and spear.

Trident Realms Turn 6

The Gigas charged through the wood into the Seaguard whilst the remaining Coral Giant moved up to control the central token. The Gigas crushed several Seaguard in their claws but the grim faced elves were determined not to break.

Elves Turn 6

The Forest Guard and Quicksilver Cavalry moved to take control of the two uncontested tokens. The Seaguard and Aeneas combined to engage the Gigas whilst Alenui moved to block them from nimble charging the Knights if there was a turn 7. Aeneas cast Host of the Shadow Beast on himself and scored key wounds on the Giant crabs disordering them.

With that the battle ended in a 2-1 victory for the Elves.

Narrative ending:

Alenui and Aeneas surveyed the battlefield, the Trident Forces has been defeated but at great cost. Elven bodies were scattered among the multitude of vanquished sea creatures. Healers would be arriving shortly from Bel-Valdar and the remaining troops were aiding the injured. Few in Bel-Valdar would forget this day, not for the victory but for the loss of their kin.

I was glad to get the victory in this game having struggled last time I deployed from the north. It was a bizarre game dice wise for both players. Anything in your favour seemed to fail but if the odds were against you success seemed assured even long shots. Still it gave us another close and exciting game to finish our trilogy.

I’m pretty happy with my deployment and token placement but there’s a couple of bits I’d like to improve on. One is putting objective markers within 3 inches of deployment zones as this denies opportunities for opponents to destroy tokens turn 1. The other is I would have liked to find a better way to deploy my infantry hordes although I’m not sure what the answer to this would be quite yet.

The overall plan with my deployment ended up roughly how I wanted it, but Ben surprised me by favouring the left flank instead of the right where he had in my opinion a more natural advantage. Having my faster and more flexible units on the right allowed me to react to this and swing round key units freed up by Ben’s deployment while he had to divert troops back to the right to counter this threat.

Neither of us had much left by the end so we did a similar job of killing each other’s troops but the Elves’ extra speed allowed them to carry the day on objectives. This has been one of the key advantages I’ve found when facing Trident Realms with Elves is there are times where you can exploit their lack of speed to put them in difficult positions to win the scenario.

A huge moment in the game was my mistake in turning my Palace Guard horde after killing the Knucker exposing its flanks. For some reason recently I’ve been overlooking units moving before pivoting to charge, until now I’ve caught myself in time but it nearly cost me dearly here. Fortunately Ben didn’t charge his Mythican into the Palace Guard along with the Thull regiment in the flank as an extra wound or two would have been crucial (on average damage the Thulls needed a 6 twice to rout the Palace Guard).

Another huge moment that turn was the Silverbreeze troop on the right getting killed by Eckter’s Windblast. As the right was fairly open the Silverbreeze would have had free reign to either provide a crucial blocking move letting the heavy cavalry get a charge or get round to the left and the objectives.

Anyway here ends the trilogy of Salt the Earth games on this map. I hope you’ve enjoyed reading about them as we’ve certainly enjoyed playing them.

4 Likes

Thanks for the write up!
It was interesting to see how “the same game” could play out so differently.

1 Like

Battle Report 22

2300pts vs New Twilight Kin: Control

Intro and Lists:

With the new and improved Twilight Kin hitting the Mantic App my regular opponent Ben was keen to see if he could catch me out with the all the latest tricks. For my part I wanted to try out a tweak to my Dragon List so was happy to oblige. Ben has kindly offered to provide review of the new Twilight Kin Army list in addition to his thoughts on the game.

Twilight Kin Review & List:

I’ve posted the Mantic App output so you can see the attributes of the new units that Ben is using. Everything looked worryingly good value to my eyes (because you’re a biased old fashioned elf - Ben) but hopefully I was wrong.

Ben’s Thoughts on his list:

So as a change of pace we decided to try out the new twilight Kin. It’s always fun playing a different faction especially one that’s been branded as the new overpowered filth. I also find it a useful way of, as Sun Tsu said “knowing your enemy”. My initial thought was wow! That’s a lot of good stuff! But when I came to build the army the number of irregular units really hampered my attempts at creating the Uber list of my dreams.

Bloodhex is the army special rule which essentially gives a unit def 5 for a turn. Overall this is good and when combined with a plethora of weakness it really adds to units’ survivability. Additionally there is the new rule, Broadside which allows units to shoot from their flanks, to me this doesn’t look great on paper as it offers too many opportunities to be flanked but time will tell.

My initial plan was to build an MSU list, however my head was turned by all the big shiny things. I still think that could be a really effective style with the Twilight Kin as they’ve got some really good low 100 point units. The build I went for had a little shooting to draw units forward combined with some good anvils and hammers.

The first thing I looked at was the formation. For 30 points you get to give two troops fearless with a rallying aura, but on the down side you can’t upgrade them to have bloodhex To me it felt a little meh. I think we’ll see it mainly being left on the shelf.

Next I looked for some unlocks. I wanted to bring some hordes in, the options are Fleetwardens (spearmen), Corsair voidwalkers (me3 and ensnare options) and Impalers (slow, hard hitting, big shield and fearless). Overall they’re all good options but I think the upgraded Corsair voidwalkers and the Impalers edge it. I knew from previously using Nightstalkers I’d definitely be using some Phantoms as chaff but I also chose to include a troop of fleetwardens in the mix as the phalanx and de5 offered a tougher option.

Before we get onto the irregulars a brief mention for the units I turned down: Reapers, ‘the normal’ unit, I see a place for them as unlocks but in this list they feel basic even with the upgrade. Mutants: ‘the speed’, initially I wanted to put these in but their points feel a bit on the high side even though they’re a good alpha charge option, there is plenty to out pace them and they’re fragile. Skiffs: ‘the Swiss army knife’ these guys have a bit of everything and at 165 points fully kitted you’ll be seeing a lot of them. They didn’t make the cut mainly due to the unlock issues and my concern for the flanking risk opened by broadside shooting (made worse by being chariot bases). Wranglers: ‘Jack of all trades’ I’m just not sure what these are meant to do, the 6” shooting is a softener (it also disorders but I can’t see a situation where a charge from chaff or these guys being the hammer offers much use, they do have move 7 so against mv 6 units they could theoretically keep them at bay) they can take bloodhex to keep them alive, they then have elite and cs1 to hit back but overall it feels like they don’t offer enough compared to other things in the army to get brought off the bench much.

So onto the real fun, irregulars: Phantoms, Butchers, Voidweavers, Ravagers & Soul Flayers. I love the Phantom troops, 100 points is a bargain (fearless, flying, def 4) and the regiment isn’t bad at 155 either (I quite like using Hammer on them to make them a little punchy). I chose to take two troops as chaff. One of the overall weaknesses with the new list is a lack of speed so fly 10 really helps. Next Butchers: nothing wrong here, one of the few stealthy units with de 5, for me other units were more tempting but you’ll see them, especially as troops in MSU lists. Voidweavers, these are really the only ranged units of any substance. They can take Fireball as standard or upgrade to Lightning Bolt. Fireball feels like a much weaker option so I’d expect to mostly see Lightning Bolt. They aren’t great shooters but I wanted something to provide a shooting platform so took two. Additionally they provided a bit of unit strength so they can act as back line token anchors and still offer something to the army. Ravagers: these are very similar to Ogre Boomers except they’re irregular!! Still they are another unit that adds some good shooting so I decided to take a horde. They also have stealthy which is nice but I don’t expect to see armies full of them. The regiment has the option to upgrade to piercing 2 which is nice. In an MSU you’ll probably see a few of these. Lastly Soulflayers: a pretty good unit that has fly, mv8, cs1, tc1 and me3. The wind blast offers some nice synergy with the broadside risk and they’re not too expensive. In the end i couldn’t fit them in due to a shortage of unlocks.

Monsters: Mindscreech, Terror, Goredrake, Voidlurker (I know it’s a character but I’m including it here). The Twilight Kin are blessed with some great monsters, however, the limited unlocks once again come into play so I didn’t end up including any in my list (reluctantly as who doesn’t love a giant monster as a center piece?) A point to note is Twilight Kin aren’t blessed with much pathfinder/strider and two of these brutes have strider which helps.

Mindscreech: a classic monster, many Nightstalker lists have taken 3 of these and with the range of spells I’d expect to see these coming to a table top near you soon. I didn’t include them in my list because I wanted the extra unit strength of the Voidweavers. Still they’re cheaper and wind blast can be a game winner. Terror: possibly the ultimate tar pit, I’ve always been a fan and now they’ve got rampage 8 they’re even better, combine with a sprinkling of weakness and this buggers not going anywhere. Oh and did I say they’re now US2!! Overall a great unit, we’ll be seeing quite a few of these. I didn’t include this time as I was keen to try out other units but they’re defiantly going in a future list. Goredrake: not a bad unit but probably slightly behind the curve compared to other 190-210 flying beasts due to only having movement 8. Again benefits from that tasty US 2 . Voidlurker: this is one of my favourites, I really tried to get this into my list and next time I’ll try harder. This one comes in at 290 with an upgrade for extra nerve and inspiring. It’s a great unit and a fast big hitter which is Twilight Kin lists cab need. I think most people won’t leave home without one.

Characters: there are a multitude of good character in the Twilight Kin list, it’s here where I felt the unlock issue most keenly as I wanted to take six! There are some characters with cool auras that really support the army, I expect there are one or two that really stand out as being top tier (Crones anyone) but I think the trick will be using them to get the most out of the rest of the army. Assassin: I took one as I always like a mobile character to help control the table. Great disruptor, plus scout and movement 7 for a cheeky first turn charge option. Dread is lovely, the fell blade means any damage inflicted also causes weakness. I equipped mine with Torc of Dissidence but they’re great vanilla too at 120 points. Navigator: nice little support character, if there was room you could spam them to get loads of ice breath (5). This character also has the legacy of Oscan that gives the three aura options so you might see a few but you’ll probably not have room with all the Crones. Crone: ok so here’s the big one, the Weakness version is so good, it inspires, it weakens and it does damage (into combat too if you fancy) all for 90 points!! I took two and I’d have taken more if I could have fitted them in, very cheap, very good! If I had to describe the TK it would be an elite army backed up by Weakness casting Crones.

Captain: a very nice foot character that can upgrade to 7 attacks and fearless nerve 15 for 100 points plus its rallying 1 to corsairs. In any other army you’d expect to see a few but it just looks bridesmaid not bride in this list . Fleshripper: pretty standard 115 point movement 6 nimble character but he doesn’t inspire so I’d guess he won’t be getting much love. Soulbane on Nightmare: I took one to provide extra inspire and a bit of speed. They’ve got all the good stuff plus dread; very solid 155 points. Captain on Skiff: he’s ok I suppose, does a bit of everything but he feels expensive to me. He does add seven 18” shots from broard side which is nice. You can upgrade to vice admiral to give very inspiring and headstrong to twilight elves, which is ok to but it doesn’t feel like the best use of the points. Navigator on Skiff: cheaper version of the captain with the aura and only 110 points. At that price he feels like a much better option and in the right list I think he’s a goer. He can do a bit of everything and at those points you don’t mind losing him too much. Impaler Soul Bane: it feels like they missed off the big shield. 9 attacks with elite and cs2 on nimble is good but movement 5 means he won’t be charging ahead, good line protector and counter charger.

Special characters: La’theal: a pretty handy caster, I’d over looked her when I built the list (was probably starting at the Crone entry instead) but some really great skills and the stealthy aura is pretty nice. The main thing for me is that her eye of Valak skill essentially turns all targeting spells into elite and removes stealthy. As her spells cause damage at piercing 1 I think you’ll want to drop a Crone to fit her in. Mikayel: the big sword wielding character, he’s great for his points and with very inspiring and mv 8 in at 235 points next time I’ll drop the Soulbane on nightmare to get him in.

Overall I think the list has some very good bits but I don’t think it’s overpowered. I’d like to try some different combinations to really get a feel for the list. My selection is based on trying to get a balanced list with a shooting platform I’m sure it’ll need changing but I think it’s a good base to get a feel for the units. I’ve not really worked out the big trick moves yet but I suspect shooting will be where it lies!

Elf List

Mage (Eldroth): Lightning Bolt, Bane Chant Conjurers Staff: 125pts
King (King Eataine): Horse, Pipes of Terror: 145pts
Dragon Lord (Alahir): Blade of Slashing: 310pts

Seaguard Horde: Fire Oil: 265pts
Stormwind Troop: Skirmishers Boots: 145pts
Stormwind Troop: 135pts
Drakon Horde: Healing Brew: 280pts
2300pts

My previous version of this list had a Seaguard regiment and more items, by replacing the Seaguard with a cheaper troop of Silverbreese and dropping some items I was able to split my Stormwind Regiment into two troops. With the Skirmisher’s boots on one giving them nimble I really like these cav troops. They’re not as good value as the cheap quick monsters some other races have but they still perform a similar and valuable role.

Deployment and Scenario

We rolled up a random map and chose to play Control as we find it a simple & balanced scenario and that would help us evaluate the Twilight Kin in a fair light. I won the roll for sides and chose to take the North side. The map seemed fairly symmetrical so I didn’t see much advantage either way.

Ben had a few more drops than me so I focused on getting my larger units into the open ground on the right. Ben deployed fairly evenly. My final deployment was my Dragon which I placed on the far left so that Ben would have to choose whether to reinforce on the right leaving the Dragon space to threaten or to counter the dragon with his final units. He decided leaving a dragon unchecked wouldn’t be pleasant and my right flank breathed a sigh of relief. Ben won the first turn roll and keen to get the early advantage he took it.

• Twilight Kin Turn 1*

Ben’s Assassin having scout had caught me off guard but fortunately my mages had been deployed out of sight to protect them against shooting so Ben had to settle for charging my Seaguard to shut down their shooting. On the left one of Ben’s Corsair hordes and Soulbane pushed up aggressively.

The remainder of the evil forces advanced cautiously. Shooting saw most damage inflicted on the central Silverbreeze. In combat the Assassin evaded the spears of the Seaguard to bring down two of the brave seaelfs.

Elves Turn 1

The Silverbreeze on the right were just in range of the Phantoms so charged to provide a screen allowing the rest of the flank to advance. On the left the Dragon moved away from the flank hoping to leave Ben’s units out of position.

Shooting saw the Corsairs to the left get wavered by a lucky nerve roll. In combat the Seaguard, released from the Crone’s Weakness Curse by Alenui’s counter spell, killed the foul Assassin. Sadly the Silverbreeze failed to land a blow on the Phantoms leaving them free to fly off and the Impalers begins able to charge.

Twilight Kin Turn 2

On the right the Phantom troop was free to fly off and block the Palace Guard, this allowed the Impalers to charge the Stormwind troop. The Silverbreeze were then punished for their failure to land a wound on the Phantons by a flank charge from the Fleetwardens.

The remaining Twilight forces shuffled forwards with a Corsair horde using the Blood Hex to increase it’s defence by one. Shooting caused a few wounds whilst the Drakons and Quivksilvers were weakened. Combat saw the Stormwind Troop wavered and the flanked Silverbreeze destroyed on the right.

Elves Turn 2

The dragon continued its flight from the left flying behind the building in my deployment zone. The remaining Stormwind troop moved to block the line of sight of the phantoms.

The right flank saw a flurry of charges. The Quicksilver cavalry and King charged the Voidweavers in the wood, the Drakons charged the Fleetwardens and the Palace Guard flanked the blocking Phantoms.

Shooting focused on the already damaged Corsair horde building up a decent amount of damage. In combat the Drakons were caught out as I hadn’t noticed the Fleetwardens had phalanx, fortunately it didn’t cost me as some good rolls saw them routed. The Void Weavers and Phantoms were disposed of by the Cavalry with King and Palace Guard respectively on the right.

Twilight Kin Turn 3

On the right Ben’s Impalers went back into the Stormwind troop to finish it off and the Corsair Horde charged the Drakons. Things were more sedate on the left as Ben continued his slow advance and the Phantoms jumped over the Stormwind’s who’d been blocking their line of sight.

Shooting saw the Crones target the Palace Guard on the hill and Silverbreeze in the centre with Weakness, this wavered the Silverbreeze. The remaining Void Weavers targeted the Stormwind troop behind the wood but only caused minor damage. The Ravengers took aim at the Quicksilvers but the wood helped save the Elven knights from much of the damage.

In combat the Impalers easy finished off the Stormwind troop and turned ready to take the charge from the Palace Guard on the hill. The Corsairs landed some damage on the Drakons but fell well short of causing any issues.

Elves Turn 3

The Palace Guard charged down the hill into the Impalers the momentum from the slope countering the malaise that had infected them from the Crone’s Weakness curse. The King also went into the weaker flank of the Impalers hoping to make a crucial difference. The Seaguard took the expose flank of the Corsairs facing the Drakons although found themselves hindered by the fence they had to cross. The remaining units shuffled around for better positions.

Shooting began with the Dragon’s fiery breath engulfing a Ravenger. This was followed by the mages weaving powerful spells on the weapons of the Infantry Hordes. Combat went poorly for the Elves as the Impalers comfortably held and the Corsairs couldn’t even be wavered despite being engaged on two sides.

Twilight Kin Turn 4

With the elves failing in combat the Twilight Kin struck back with the Corsairs and Impalers going into the Drakons and Palace Guard. At the top of the board the Phantoms charged the wavered Silverbreeze to finish them off.

Shooting mainly focused on the Quicksilvers with weakness and 4 more damage was caused but the knights remained stoically committed to the cause. Combat saw some big loses for the Elves as the Drakons and Silverbreeze went down but the Palace Guard had plenty of nerve to absorb the Impaler’s attack.

Elves Turn 4

The loss of the Drakons was a blow, with the remaining cavalry also looking vulnerable I was running out of units to claim the board sections. I did, however, have the advantage of position as Ben’s remaining units weren’t able to threaten me in combat.

The Corsair Horde was already nursing heavy damage so I looked to focus my mages and dragon on them whilst they were still in the open. My Quicksilvers didn’t look like they’d last much longer so despite being hindered and weakened I threw them into the Ravengers hoping it would at least add some damage or perhaps a lucky waver.

The Stormwind on the left entered the forest stopping the Void Weavers from escaping the Dragon’s wrath next turn. The King charged the Crone in the wood to shut down the constant damage from his weakness spell. Finally the Seaguard and Palace Guard continued their fights on the right.

Shooting saw 7 more damage added to the Corsairs who were promptly wavered leaving them sitting ducks next turn. The Impalers and Corsairs were comfortably mopped up but best of all the Quicksilvers surprised everyone by routing the Ravengers! Finally the King landed a wound on the Crone.

Twilight Kin Turn 5

Ben’s focus was killing the Stormwind and Quicksilvers, Lightning and Weakness proved too much for the Quicksilvers in the shooting phase whilst even cowering behind a tree couldn’t save the Stormwind troop from the Soulbane.

Elves Turn 5

The two Elven infantry hordes advanced towards the centre keen to claim the more valuable sections of the board. The King continued to harass the Crone in the wood and the Dragon charged the Void Weavers hoping two turns would be enough to banish them back from where they came.

Shooting saw the Seaguard train their bows on the badly damaged Corsair horde breaking the spirits of the pirates once and for all. Both mages focused their lightning bolts on to the Phantoms but were only able to ruffle a few feathers. Combat saw the Crone and Void Weavers both wavered.

Twilight Kin Turn 6

With the Elves largely out of reach there wasn’t much Ben could do, the Phantoms moved to hide behind the building and other units shuffled into better positions. The unharmed Crone, however, was not content to sit back. Shadowy fingers reached out towards the Palace Guard and visions of eternal suffering filled the noble warriors thoughts as strength was leached from their arms. The once unshakeable warriors found themselves temporarily overwhelmed with fear (wavered).

Elves Turn 6

The waver on the Palace Guard could prove crucial as it prevented them advancing to claim Ben’s central section worth 2 points. I would need my Dragon to kill the Void Weavers to get the win this turn.

Shooting saw the Phantoms banished by the combination of one mage and the Seaguard. The King once more disordered the Crone. Crucially the Dragon killed the Void Weavers putting the Elves in the lead. But the Twilight Kin were not ready to give up yet.

Twilight Kin Turn 7

The Crone once more tried to incapacitate the Palace Guard but having conquered their fears the Elves shrugged off the evil one’s efforts. Leading by example the Twilight General issued a challenge and charged the Elven Lord and his dragon but it was in vain.

Elves Turn 7

Nothing was left for the Elves but to move to maximise the sections under their control and the game was over.

A 4-1 victory for the Elves.

I’m only going to briefly talk about the game itself and then review what I thought of the new Twilight Kin units I faced. The game had quite volatile dice with lots of damage one minute, none the next and a big nerve roll out of nowhere after lots of low ones. I think it probably evened out but it’s hard to tell for sure.

I think I managed to put Ben in a tricky spot with my deployment, by placing a dragon last on a fairly empty flank he ended up with one flank badly outnumbered and my Dragon could just fly off leaving his units stranded. That was probably the deciding factor that ended up shifting the game in my favour.

Twilight Kin Units Review

I’ll go down the list Ben took as I don’t any other information on the rest of the Twilight Kin list:

Corsair Voidwalkers Horde: Without any upgrades these guys are a cheapish (for elves) block of nerve but pretty limited. I really like all the upgrades individually and together but then you’ve then got a fairly expensive unit with no crushing strength. I think they’re a useful unit but you’ll pay for what you get so you need to get it maximising whatever attributes you give it.

Corsair Fleetwardens Troop: I’ve only seen the troop version of this unit but I really like it with the two upgrades, I hadn’t originally picked up the unit had phalanx but I think that it’s a good value light unit, CS, plenty of attacks decent nerve, def 5 for a turn plus phalanx can make this unit a real thorn in the opposition’s side.

Voidtouched Weavers regiment: Lightning bolt on a unit is nice but lacks the flexibility of individuals running 6 inches backwards whilst lobbing the lightning bolts over their shoulder. They seem a little pricey for a unit that’s fairly bad in combat most units at that level have some kind of combat prowess. They’re also irregular which seems a touch harsh but apparently irregular is a common theme for Twilight Kin (which seems an odd choice for a major release).

Bound Phantoms Troop: it’s long been my opinion that any speed 10 nimble flying unit should cost a minimum of 100pts even with terrible stats. Unfortunately that’s not the case so Phantoms are excellent value IMO fearless, def 4, 12 attacks at Melee 4+ is a bargain light unit.

Bound Ravagers Horde: very similar to Ogre Boomers who have always seemed decent to me, stealthy is very nice if caught in a shooting war. Irregular again seems harsh.

Impalers: they feel solid, the big shield can be really good when played well but it can also be exploited as can their speed 5. They’re not very expensive and that’s largely reflected in their abilities IMO, Fearless is always a big plus in my book and probably makes them slightly better than average value.

Twilight Assassin: I like this guy a lot he’s fragile but comes with a lot of rules. I think Ben was too hasty using him to stop my Seaguard from shooting and he would have been an issue for me late game if he’d been held in reserve a little longer.

Summoner Crone: Ok rant time. These guys are ludicrously under pointed. They’re 90pts they should be 135pts+. I don’t know why but adding damage on to other spells seems to be criminally under appreciated in points values. Weakness 4 doing piercing (1) damage is at least as good as lightning bolt 5 on damage alone (no cover, & can cast into combat makes up for at lest 1 less dice at a minimum). I remember not so long ago lightning bolt was public enemy number 1 (or at least top 3) now it’s equivalent is getting given away virtually free. They also come with inspire so they’re just fantastic all round units which make me want to take a hard line on wage negotiation next time I meet with the Elven Mages’ Union.

Soulbane on Nightmare: one of many nice nimble monster units in the game at around 150pts he’s got everything you’d want and expect plus Dread’s a great rule. Twilight Kin seem to have a lot of irregular units so I’m guessing you might not see multiples of these guys in lists as much as Twilight generals might prefer.

As I said I don’t know the full twilight kin list but Ben’s usually pretty good at finding filthy options and with the exception of the Crone there doesn’t seem anything particular out of line with the good units you find in other lists.

Ben’s conclusions:

We’ll that didn’t go as badly as I’d thought it would. Playing Paul’s list is always fun, he knows what he likes and he knows how to use it! I don’t usually have as much shooting which meant I was fighting against Paul and my own inexperience. I don’t think the list is anywhere near optimal and it still gave him a close game. The first thing I did wrong was throw away my assassin and forget to use the Torc. Also it’s worth noting that the blade doesn’t combine with weakness which was one of my ‘cunning plans’. The four hordes all did a job but their damage was a little underwhelming. The fleetwardens were unlucky not to hold the Drakon charge after Paul overlooked their phalanx but I think they’re a great chaff unit.

My phantoms got lucky not getting disordered by the Silverbreeze charge turn two which allowed to perform a useful block but realistically they shouldn’t have been placed in charge range. The Voidweavers did ok and I think the level of shooting was about right. The Ravagers didn’t do what I expected them to but that was as much down to poor dice rolls as their capabilities. I didn’t use the Soulbane on Nightmare well and I think he could have really played a much bigger role. The stars were the crones but I could have guessed that before the game started. Paul did well using the hills and bane chant to undo the good work of weakness but it defiantly had a major impact during the battle. I didn’t feel the terrain was too bad but in a game of inches it added up. The fact I’d taken a lot of unit strength really helped, in other lists this will probably be lower, if I throw in some US2 monsters I should be able to get close, after the new book comes out there might be more monsters with high US to counter but for now I’ll try and take advantage.

Looking at Paul’s army: I really liked the storm wind cav troops, I think the elves have enough big hitters and with 4 fast chaff/utility units really offers a lot of flexibility. The only advice (coz I’m if anything overqualified to give it) is that Paul could swap the mounted king for the kings champion but other than that I’d say this is as good an elf list as I’ll face. Even the lack of glade stalkers compared to other lists didn’t seem to be an issue.

The game was close and at various points I felt it was going my way but I just couldn’t land the killer punch. I usually feel going second in control gives a big advantage but I wanted to get my shooting in first. Great game as always and well played Paul.

Ben’s new list:

Now I’ve played a game with the list I’ve made a few changes. The first thing I felt I needed to upgrade was to bring in more speed and hitting power so I tried to really hard to find the points and fitted in the Voidlurker, I could have upgraded it to the improved version but I wanted to sprinkle a few items on units so went with the vanilla version. The Voidweavers were ok but I didn’t feel blown away with them so I dropped both units and brought in some Voidskiffs which added shooting but also a bit more combat. La’theal was the next unit to come in, dropping two weavers took 16 shots away but with her damaging wind blasts and the skiffs broadside I felt I was on par and she has the added advantage of providing some movement spells, aura stealthy and the bane chant which would help boost my combat unit’s damage output. The compromise I had to make was to swap out a horde of Corsair Voidwalkers for a regiment of Fleetwardens, I think they’ll be nearly as good with the upgrades so overall I think it’s a fair swap. I’ve managed to keep at 14 drops, with 41 shots and added a bit of speed. Let’s see how it works next time!

3 Likes

What’s your thoughts on Mikayel?