What plastic sprue would you like to see Mantic make?

Just do better versions of the Mantic sculpts. Keep the styling, like the League of Infamy elf minis do, just make them better proportioned than the original ‘skinny’ ones.
Add capes and great weapon arms and maybe a head swap to make Palace Guard. Avoid the Oathmrk chainmail and hoods style, stick to the Mantic High Fantasy armour and helmets, plus glaive type weapons.

5 Likes

starts taking notes

10 Likes

I’m telling ya, you make new Elf plastics and I will be getting a whole army. I bought the Drakon riders then realised they don’t fit with my Warhammer High Elf army that I converted for KoW. Stormwind cav are fine as is, Silverbreeze cav are fine as is. Palace Guard are solid too I think.
But we could definitely do with a solid plastic Elf set, like the Halfling stuff that has a few options. If they could make shooty and fighty elves both, including spears and hand weapons we can make all the basic infantry types.
Plus some cool new character models and types that could also be used for Vanguard?

8 Likes

I support this message :slight_smile: :grinning:

3 Likes

Dwarf berserkers on foot. Could easily cover dwarf and abyssal dwarf on one sprue.

1 Like

Taking the current 3 Elves Sprue, scale them up at 130-150%, going with the option for Swords, Spear, Bows and twohanded swords
maybe option knifes instead of the shield arm and add capes (for Guard)

make one frame were bodies and legs are in 2 parts so you just need resin legs for cavalry (or design cavalry bodies to fit with the plastic arms)

add in head and shield options for Sylvan und Twilight Kin (and you could keep the current boxes as Southern Kin down far in the dessert)

2 Likes

One thing to remember is that there is not a lot of “redundancy” on mantic plastic sprues - so you aren’t going to get a huge amount of completely customisable models.

Take the halflings as an example - 10 infantry bodies, 5 cavalry with 15 heads. 10 hand weapons, 10 spears, 10 shields and 10 gun arm combos.

The older dwarf and skeleton kits had less variety - not 100% sure with newer ratkin, salamander kits etc, but aren’t going to have loads of spare bits (unlike some other manufacturers)

2 Likes

The basic premise for a while has been 5-10 models with enough options for 2-3 weapons loadouts. Loadouts are quite dependent upon space so smaller models you can just about get 3 but more human-size models have 2. Heads are currently at 13 heads for 10 models, with the Halflings as an exception.

Northern Alliance - 10 models, 2 loadouts, 10 heads
Abyssal Dwarfs - 10 models, 2 loadouts, 13 heads
Goblins - 10 models, 3 loadouts, 13 heads
Ratkin - 10 models, 2 loadouts, 13 heads
Halflings - 15 models, 3 loadouts, 15 heads

Everyone has arms and head separate and interchangeable so you have a decent level of customisation but not so much as to make building large units a chore. Plus heroes and some other units have parts that’ll mix with these too. The Halfling engineer, grenadiers, forest troll gunners, stalwarts, juggers, poachers, muster captain, and weapon crew can all have heads swapped (and other parts in some cases) with the plastic kits.

8 Likes

Succubi. Their shoulder joints are too thin, and it’s no good idea if the half unit tiptoes with only 2*2mm to glue them to the base. These models would be way easier to assemble if their feet would be attached to a round base like older miniatures.

Ghekkotahs with bows - although Ghekkotahs are not necessary for a strong armylist.

Placoderms - there is no suitable alternative imo.

4 Likes

Ogres vs. Elves could definitely work well. Both “elite” armies so getting 1000 points a side into a starter could be really easy (and then encourage doubling up or swapping halves to get a full 2k points).

In terms of kits, the core of it could be done with two very carefully done sprues offering 3-4 different unit types per kit.

Elves - new multi-kit covering spears/bows/sea guard/ palace guard (13 heads, 5 open helm, 5 enclosed helm, 3x bare head/ leader), 5x spear, 5x bow, 5x quiver, 5x quiver + bow, 5x 2-handed sword, 5x shield. Add cats to finish, maybe a standard and musician (I also miss not having these on the sprue).

Ogres - Warriors/ Boomers sprue would be fine, if siegebreakers can be added with a few extra bits (+3 shield arms and armoured heads) even better. Crocodog essential, of course!

Then from there, the new goblins can be thrown in as well.

That’s with just one new kit each - 2+ each would really push it ahead. Multi-unit elf cavalry kit would be fantastic. For ogres, berserker braves with parts to make a warlock on there and/ or some other new unit (something else lightly armoured like hunters, trackers scouts etc.) could work well.

4 Likes

Would love updated elves. I like the thinner, slender look but I’ve never been good at painting faces so closed helmets please! And more tabards/capes.

If I remember right elf lore indicates they favor spears much more than swords so the prince and king having ornate spears or polearms.

1 Like