Andreas' Kingdoms of Men & League of Rhordia

I can do a short tutorial when I am basing my next unit.

Very nice looking army.

How has it done on the table?

At the moment I am just painting it, when I get to around 1500 points I will take it for a spin :slight_smile:

As others have said, wonderful looking force. The Perry’s line of miniatures are great, and your work in them has really brought the sculpts to life.

I honestly feel that this is the joy of KoM, a very rich and varied range of models and periods to choose from. I look forward to seeing how these progress.

I like your painting style. Very crisp!

1 Like

Kingdoms of Men basing tutorial

1. Once I am finished painting the unit I paint the base of each miniature earth brown
  2. Glue the miniatures to the base
  3. Cover the base with Vallejo Earth Texture
  4. Scatter some small stones and gravel on the bases while the earth texture is still wet, push the stones into the earth texture if necessary. Leave to dry overnight.
  5. Trim excess earth texture off the edge of the bases.
  6. Make a thick wash from a cheap dark brown paint
  7. Cover the base with the paint, some of the earth texture will show through the dark brown paint. Leave to dry overnight.
  8. Drybrush with two, or more, lighter colors. I use Desert Yellow and Iraqui Sand, but any color will do.

9. Cover the base irregularly with watered down white glue, its not supposed to be runny.
  10. Cover with static grass, I use 2mm Mini-Natur Frühherbst and a static grass applicator, but just covering it with static grass , turning it over, and lightly tapping on the bottom of the base works fine. Since I am basing 4 troops in this example I want them to be able to combine as two regiments or a horde so I make sure that the grass on the bases fit with each other.
  11. Its not necessary to be 100% accurate.
  12. I glue on a selection of tufts to break up the static grass a bit and make the base more interesting.
  13. Finally I add some leaf litter to break up the base even more.
13 Likes

4 Troops of Pole-Arms

19 Likes

Cheers - great looking stuff

1 Like

I really appreciate that you consistently pull off “colorful” without looking cartoony. Well done!

2 Likes

Not really Kingdoms of Men, but they are painted in the same scheme so they can be combined as League of Rhordia.

20 Likes

Various Kingdoms of Men characters

20191207_145705

9 Likes

Two Generals on Winged Beast, the last pic is a foot guard regiment included for scale.

The riders are slightly modified Mounted Men at Arms from Perry Miniatures and the Winged Beast is a GW model.

12 Likes

Super cool, floating hippocampus make suitably fantastic monster mounts for humans as well as fishmen :smiley:

1 Like

Hi @Andreas!

I have just discovered this topic after checking a battle report between yours KoM and Fred’s Undead.

It is a truly beautiful army! Thank you very much for sharing and the inspiration. I really like how you used the opportunity multi-basing offers to create units that look quite dynamic. Even if it is a horde of pikemen, it does look alive!

In addition, you perfectly added fantasy elements by incorporating Halflings units and cool ideas for heroes riding fantasy beasts to battle.

Great job! You should be very proud of this achievement!

1 Like

Thanks for pushing this up @Swordmaster !

I can only second here, this is an outstanding, beautiful army! I tend to go dirty when I go colorful, but for my Zombies that’s one ok thing to do. In a human army the brightness fits perfectly, and how you did you whole army is just stunning. I’d love to see that guys live one day, but even if not, I would like to see more on the interwebs!

1 Like

@Swordmaster @Theerteen Thank you both :slight_smile:

I plan on expanding the army quite a bit, currently I am painting up an additional four Regiments of Foot Guard and a third Cannon so expect to see something new during Christmas. I will add some more fantastical elements as well.

I intend to bring this army to CoK 2020, so you might see me there. I am not good enough to win a large international tournament, so I might as well bring something I enjoy playing :wink:.

Two Kingdoms of Men Cannon

I am a bit uncertain about the rust since it ended up being a bit too brown. Its enamel so I can reactivate it and wash it away so I will see if it grows on me before doing anything.

20191219_123322
20191219_123335
20191219_123347
20191219_123401

12 Likes

What base size did you use for the cannons? The 50x50mm? It looks great (not as crowdy as I expect)

1 Like

The bases are 50x50mm, but the Perry miniatures are “historical scale” 28mm, which makes them slightly smaller than “heroic scale” 28mm.

These look great (like, shock)!

1 Like