Basing

Hi all !
I’m trying to decide what to do for basing.
This is my first set ( the 2player starter set Shadows in the north ) and I’m not doing a multibase set up but the small 1 figure base set up and getting some moving trays.
What do you use for basing materials ?
I was thinking of leaving them realy simple grey or brown with perhaps a little bit (not covering the whole base) of pigment for sand and dirt to keep them neutral .
My thinking was , because this is my first and i’ m not sure wat i will buy in the future and wat my game table / battlefield will be.
Any thoughts on the matter ?

2 Likes

A very standard style is PVA glue and fine sand as texture. Then after painting it some kind of brown, glue a small patch of grass or a tuft onto it to finish it off, for instance?

2 Likes

Thank you very much . This was my thinking to but the patch of grass is a nice touch. I’ve been going back and forth for a while now . i overthink most things so i’m happy to get some feedback. Thanks again.

I use magnetic single bases on movement trays (from Shogun Miniatures), too.

If you’re not sure of a basing scheme yet, I would go for something generic, cheap, and quick that still looks good, and that you can either easily repaint or pry off when you do settle on a plan.

So Fred’s tip is 100% spot on. PVA (because you can scrap it off), fine sand painted and drybrushed, and a few tufts or other details. I think covering the whole base will look best.

As for what I use, I’ve built up an infrastructure over the years of 10 different types of sands/talus/powders, technical paints, several flock/flowers/tufts, branches and logs, rocks, skulls & weapons & other bits that I cast from green stuff. It’s a bit silly, but having a large collection lets you be creative and adaptable.

1 Like

Thank you , very useful. I really have to try green stuff. I’ve been hearing about it for years but never tried it myself. I always use Das clay. So i will buy some. Thanks again this is a great community .

Just looked at the shogun miniatures site. Nice one , thanks for the tip.

Super glue and baking soda makes an instant ground cover that is in scale. Paint it brown and drybrush with a lighter brown. Add grass, skulls, etc to taste. Sprinkle some kitty litter in with the baking soda for the occasional rock.

1 Like

There’s also tile grout or soil from a potted plant. Bake the dirt to kill microbes first though.

1 Like

Hmmm never heard of this…going to try that . Thanks a lot

1 Like

I use old Coffey . I save it up and let it dry , works great. Looks already like dirt. Thank you for helping me out man.

1 Like

I have a problem with using any organic materials. I imagine it may decay slowly while on the base and I just cant hack that. :grin:

1 Like

I use sand and PVA, like @FredOslow . Works like a charm. Just be aware it kills your brushes when painting, so use an old brush for painting it.

Here’s a tutorial how I painted and based my multibase. It would work the same on a single base, I’d imagine.

2 Likes

I used it on dioramas and they sit on the shelf for years and so far no problems , and i use modge podge as varnis

Thanks man ! Nice of you to help

I use woodglue and birdcage sand. It is very fine with a few larger pieces here and there. Paint it brown, a light drybrush over it, then glue clumps of grass/flowers as needed.

1 Like

Thank you. I will remember this one to.