Brutal rule

Hi,
Could somebody explain the Brutal rule please.

On page 35 the rule says ‘add the highest Brutal (n) value to the total rolled’ when testing nerve.
What is the (n) value and where do you find it ?

Many units in the army lists have the Brutal rule but they don’t have an (n) number anywhere.

Thanks for any help.

2 Likes

If unspecified, it’s Brutal (1).
It seems they left the door open for a higher number in case they wanted to add something cool later with a higher Brutal number.

1 Like

Thank you very much for a super quick reply

Cheers !!

1 Like

Thanks very much,

Good to see the exact wording in the amendment.

Cheers !

Do engaged Wavered units with Brutal still provide it?

My Shieldbreakers with Brutal were charged by a Mincer Mob and were wavered. Then my Ironclad charged in the Flank of the Mincer Mob. The Shieldbreakers stayed engaged with the Mincer Mob. Do they add Brutal to the rout result even if they don‘t fight?

interesting question, based on the rules and the FAQ I would say yes.

Brutal says, When testing the Nerve of an enemy unit in Melee with one
or more of your units with this rule, add the highest Brutal.

Melee refers to units being engaged and the FAQ clarifies that unless you chose to leave combat you’re still engaged.

Q: What is meant by Engaged?
A: A unit is Engaged when it is in base contact with an enemy unit that 1) it Charged or 2) it was Charged by. Once Engaged, the units remain Engaged with one another until one of the units Routs, one of the units Disengages in its Move Phase, or one of the units Countercharges a different unit with which it is Engaged

Fascinating question and one I hadn’t considered, in my head I suppose it’s a hold over from 1st and 2nd where it wouldn’t happen, but now it is viable… until someone FAQs it

1 Like

oh but now I’m thinking about the nudging back… I’ve got to go and re-read the rules because that may come into play.

UPDATE

I checked the rules and nudging only occurs if there is an enemy unit that is “unengaged” that would be touching. So yeah it seems to be fine.

1 Like

So on a related note, here’s another Brutal question…

Let’s say i multicharge with an Ironclad Regiment (no Brutal) and a Battle Driller (Brutal 2) vs the same enemy unit. The Ironclads roll great and deal 8 damage, but the Battle Driller neither battles nor drills, and deals 0 damage.

When it comes to rolling the enemy units nerve check, do you still apply the Brutal 2 of the Battle Driller, even though failed to do anything that combat?

I think the answer’s yes, but i thought I’d check!

1 Like

yes you add the Brutal, they don’t need to have caused any damage just be in the combat. It’s the same rule that is causing the above. They just need to be present to give the gift of Brutal this Christmas :smiley:

1 Like