Centurian Bigheth Dikheth and his Roman Invasion (Kingdom of Men ?)

It’s the little things, as the Here and Now song goes, the teeth lips , eyes , wrist straps, central hub of the shields, and generally a second coat all over the outer shield plus dry brushing the inner part…hooves, dry brushing mane and tails, that’s after redoing the faces on some heads where the wash was too dark .Also, lets not forget the mistakes i made during todays painting that also needed to add to the afore-mentioned list. …and that is about as far as I got today .

A temparary pause in painting while i relinquish the War Room, (which my wife insists on referring to as “The Guest Bedroom”, but, I’ll reclaim it on Sunday Evening in time to complete the second cohort of Legionnaires.

4 Likes

5 Likes

nice looking force there, just missing a wall to hide behind when your celts come :slight_smile:

1 Like

Many thanks @Gerrcinn , the Legion brings its own wall in those big barn door shields

1 Like

On the final touches now, for both the 2 units of Early Imperial Roman Cavalry, and the second cohort of my legion. My first cohort looked too dark, so I’ve been bust experimenting with different options until I finally painted the shields using the decals as a guide, and some Citadel Dry Astorath Red over Squig Orange base coat and a gold boss to the infantry shields. The cavalry came without decals, so I used some of the celtic ones but painted over 2 of the 4 quarter sections .

5 Likes

They are deceptively detailed, and I am understandably clumsy which doesn’t help. Also, there was a lot of experimentation to get them looking like I wanted

3 Likes

4 Likes

Great looking army @Nav, also from your title there is someone missing… where is Incontinentia Buttocks :rofl:

1 Like

Hehehe where indeed is he? Thanks @ClosetPainter

There’s something about your army that reminds me of this Discworld quote:

Veni, vidi, vici .” I came, I saw, I conquered.
As a comment it always struck Vimes as a bit too pat. It wasn’t the sort of thing you came up with on the spur of the moment, was it? It sounded as if he had worked it out. He’d probably spent long evenings in his tent, looking up in the dictionary short words beginning with V and trying them out… Veni, vermini, vomui , I came, I got ratted, I threw up? Visi, vereni, vamoosi , I visited, I caught an embarrassing disease, I ran away? It must have been a big relief to come up with three short acceptable words. He probably made them up first , and then went off to see somewhere and conquer it.

2 Likes

I’d have to agree. Certainly the Roman Legionnaires sailed across the English Canal (British Sea as it was then, before you ask) took one look at the nekkid geezahs standing on the white cliff led by druids and said, "Begger this lark. We came, we saw, and we legged it back to civilization. " Of course, Caesar has gambled his political career on a successful invasion so he crucified a bunch of them to the masts and as if by a miracle, they saw the wisdom of the invasion.

3 Likes