Centurian Bigheth Dikheth and his Roman Invasion : Kingdom of Men

It’s the little things, as the Here and Now song goes, the teeth lips , eyes , wrist straps, central hub of the shields, and generally a second coat all over the outer shield plus dry brushing the inner part…hooves, dry brushing mane and tails, that’s after redoing the faces on some heads where the wash was too dark .Also, lets not forget the mistakes i made during todays painting that also needed to add to the afore-mentioned list. …and that is about as far as I got today .

A temparary pause in painting while i relinquish the War Room, (which my wife insists on referring to as “The Guest Bedroom”, but, I’ll reclaim it on Sunday Evening in time to complete the second cohort of Legionnaires.

4 Likes

5 Likes

nice looking force there, just missing a wall to hide behind when your celts come :slight_smile:

1 Like

Many thanks @Gerrcinn , the Legion brings its own wall in those big barn door shields

1 Like

On the final touches now, for both the 2 units of Early Imperial Roman Cavalry, and the second cohort of my legion. My first cohort looked too dark, so I’ve been bust experimenting with different options until I finally painted the shields using the decals as a guide, and some Citadel Dry Astorath Red over Squig Orange base coat and a gold boss to the infantry shields. The cavalry came without decals, so I used some of the celtic ones but painted over 2 of the 4 quarter sections .

5 Likes

They are deceptively detailed, and I am understandably clumsy which doesn’t help. Also, there was a lot of experimentation to get them looking like I wanted

3 Likes

5 Likes

Great looking army @Nav, also from your title there is someone missing… where is Incontinentia Buttocks :rofl:

1 Like

Hehehe where indeed is he? Thanks @ClosetPainter

There’s something about your army that reminds me of this Discworld quote:

Veni, vidi, vici .” I came, I saw, I conquered.
As a comment it always struck Vimes as a bit too pat. It wasn’t the sort of thing you came up with on the spur of the moment, was it? It sounded as if he had worked it out. He’d probably spent long evenings in his tent, looking up in the dictionary short words beginning with V and trying them out… Veni, vermini, vomui , I came, I got ratted, I threw up? Visi, vereni, vamoosi , I visited, I caught an embarrassing disease, I ran away? It must have been a big relief to come up with three short acceptable words. He probably made them up first , and then went off to see somewhere and conquer it.

2 Likes

I’d have to agree. Certainly the Roman Legionnaires sailed across the English Canal (British Sea as it was then, before you ask) took one look at the nekkid geezahs standing on the white cliff led by druids and said, "Begger this lark. We came, we saw, and we legged it back to civilization. " Of course, Caesar has gambled his political career on a successful invasion so he crucified a bunch of them to the masts and as if by a miracle, they saw the wisdom of the invasion.

4 Likes

The only sensible course of action when faced with the English, really.

1 Like

Aye, why pick another fight when you are already having trouble keeping the Gauls and Germanic tribes from revolting whenever you turn your back.

1 Like

@Telchar I think there was a small clerical issue when they translated Caesar’s biography of his experiences in Britain.
Firstly, the use of the word Conquer. It was supposed to be conker, from the rain of small but painful hail of slingshots that the Legionaries had to cope with, as the Britons fired down on them from the ridge of Horse Chestnut trees.
Secondly , as happens throughout history, the scribe like any sane fellow, was nowhere near the battlefield, but quickly realized that his initial interview with the Roman General would not go down well, when he delivered his report in Rome. The General might get awy with it, but you could put your denarius on the fate of the messenger, and his extended family, friends, and anyone he had ever met in his short life.
So, what started as “We Came. We Saw, We were conkered, and handed our nuts on a plate!” was quickly re-written to remove any reference of nuts, pulses or any other food for that matter .

2 Likes

that’s hilarious Nav, great craic.

1 Like

many thanks @Gerrcinn . :slight_smile:

Hail Caesar, little known facts about the Roman Invasions:- 55 B.C. (Before the incident with the Conkers) According to history,:- J.C. (Julius Caesar, not that other dude. The archives confirm that John Cleese and the rest of the Pythons got all the way up passed Hadrian’s Wall but that was much later on a quest for the Holy Grail.) Julius came saw and beggered off home again, after only getting as far as Blackpool. There were no illuminations back then, and the tower wasn’t as big as he expected. So, after sttopping off for a bit of Blackpool rock, (which the locals assured was edible, ) and after spending a long wet weekend in a small caravan with his retinue, including Graham Norton dressed up as a priest, he packed up and caught the first ferry back to civilisation. Nevertheless, It was far enough into Britain to flash his holiday tunic to his mates to confirm that he had indeed been there, saw everything worth seeing, got the obligatory dose of gut rot from the pork pies, and came home to fight another day. So, although the Warlord Game is called Hail Caesar, The Roman Invasion of Britain, in reality, J.C. didn’t invade. He’d have been better off heading for Torremolinos with all the other grockles. Claudius, on the other hand, in 43 A.D. gave the whole invasion malarkey a better effort. Alas, for alll his efforts, Warlord Games decided that J.C. was their man, and ignored the history books altogether. Nonthing new there.

1 Like

My Romans have come a long way since I started this post, with an additional 300 miniatures added between my two (Hail Caesar / Kings of War Historical) armies. I also rebased pretty much all of my De Danaan Herd army and upgraded them.
Finally, yesterday, I got a trial game in using not one, but both armies, as a friend wanted to try out the HC rules and only has a few Celts so far, so I loaned him mine for the match.
The game was somewhat of a disaster, as we only found some mistakes in our interpretations of the rules far too late to change the outcome. But we had fun.

I do love the addition of a villager herding cattle out to grass in the middle of a soon to be battlefield as the Romans arrive on the horizon.

3 Likes

The Kings of War Hoard diara bases work perfectly for Celtic Warbands and Fanatics, being 4 men deep and 10 accross. (although not for Heavy Infantry.) and 3 regiments joined together for one larger warband unit.

5 Likes