Charging and counter charging

Hi all. This came up in a game. The situation is this: my turn I charged opponents unit. It didn’t rout or waver so the 2 units remained engaged. In his turn he disengaged his unit 1 inch and charged my unit ( the same one he was engaged with) but slid it across to make room for another of his units to charge my unit as well. Is this a legal move or does his unit have to stay engaged and counter charge?

Thanks,
Dingougly

1 Like

A disengage and new charge is absolutely allowed. The new charge can be a multi-charge.

The new charge must be legal though when its made so for example if the units are stacked one behind another either the target or the rear-most charger must be taller than the unit disengaging so you have LOS.

Also as its a new charge not a counter terrain counts . Disordered units also lose things like TC or Nimble / Fly

1 Like

It should also be noted that sliding to the side to make room for additional charging units is allowed only when the units charge into the same facing of the target unit. It is not allowed to slide aside to make room for another unit that charges into an adjacent facing of the target unit.

Otherwise, it is up to you to decide what is better in a given situation. Sometimes, disengaging and charging the same unit is preferable (e.g. when the charge would go into a flank of the target instead of the front), but normally one just countercharges (which also avoids a possible hindering). Multicharge (with a slide to allow more units to attack the same facing) may be declared in both cases, there is no need to disengage just to allow more units getting in, one can countercharge and slide as well.

A very good point about the unit being taller for LOS, i hadnt thought of that, but surely , if the unit being charged is bigger than the unit engaged i.e. a horde vs a regiment, than there should be LOS on the horde even without height ? In such curcumstances, the height should not matter. Am i correct?

Not only is this totally legal, it is possible for the unit to step back an inch, get LOS on a unit close by, and charge that unit instead. This can really mess up a defenders plans. There is a good article on cunning tricks in KOW on https://dash28.org/2020/07/13/you-can-do-that-kings-of-war-gotcha-moves-and-how-to-prevent-them/

Almost always as its chargers leader point to any point for LOS, so unless some terrain gets in the way or other units block

1 Like

Thanks for the help, very useful,
Cheers,
Dingougly

1 Like

I’ve read through this thread a few times and I think I must be missing something as I cannot see how units stacked one behind the other can carry out a legal charge in this way. From the rules for multiple charges I am assuming that both charging units must be able to make a legal charge before either unit is moved. If the first unit is just withdrawn 1" before the charges are declared then surely the second unit cannot manoeuvre around the first and into contact with the same facing (unless it is nimble)?

If, when declaring the combined charge both units can see and will fit, you can give the order. You then choose which unit moves first. Check out the FAQ/errata as that has some diagrams which clarify how the ‘shuffling’ works in these situations, which I think is what is confusing you?

1 Like

Thanks Sceleris, the FAQ makes it clear. Somehow the rules seem to make sense with the diagrams!I

1 Like

old thread, but remember that the second charger still needs a clear path to the target unit after the other has moved over. makes positioning important.

1 Like