Clash of Kings info/updates

@Fugue and @Luke : Thank you both very much - very interesting changes!
I would be very curious to know about the changes for normal (vanilla) Orcs, if this is possible?

1 Like

Free dwarfs please?? :smiley: :smiley:

1 Like

@Drakyo welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

Most (all?) of the Free Dwarf changes were outlined in a video by Trollcast, and summarised here;

2 Likes

Oh, thanks!
Whatā€™s about rangers and stones? No changes?

Is there more to Sylvan Kin than Gladestalkers and Air Elementals? What are Kindred Warriors for example?

Sylvan Kin got:

• Kindred Warriors (Elves) - elf troop/reg/horde without spears (super generic with elite (melee))
  • Air Elementals (Nature)
  • Greater Air Elemental (Nature) - now CS(1)
  • Woodland Critters (Nature)

Kindred Gladestalkers now Sylvan Gladestalkers
Stormwind Cav* gain optional pathfinder option +10/15
Forest Shamblers (Horde) gains optional elite (melee) + rallying (1 - Elf) +20 [1]
Boskwraiths gain pathfinder
Hunters of the Wild cost 90/140
Archwraith gains pathfinder, De 4+, and optional aura (TC (+1) for bosks) +20 [1]
Elven King gains optional Wanderer upgrade (De 4+, Sp 7, At 7, Pathfinder, no mount) +0
Elrik Nisleen fireball always hits on 4+
Wiltfather canā€™t take an artefact
Avatar of the Green Lady costs 150, gains pathfinder

Wardens of the Sacred Groves (Formation)

• Wanderer King + 2x Forest Guard reg + 2x Bosk troops + 25 pts
  • All gain Scout

Sylvan Gladestalkers got stealthy, +2 At at both levels and +1US on the regiment for the same points

EDIT: Donā€™t Sylvan Kin also inherit some upgrades from the Elf list?

Kindred Archers now Ra 4+ De 3+ points 104/140/245
Elven Archmage now spellcaster 3, may take Surge (8) +30
Dragon Kindred Lord costs 305

5 Likes

Thanks!

NP! Also I have to say, this book is awesome. So many cool updates for everybody, Iā€™ve been practically buzzing for the last 18 hours and Iā€™m shocked I got any sleep :sweat_smile: Part of this is that I play under-utilized units / armies on purpose, so itā€™s really gratifying to see these units get buffs (even if the special snowflake in me is now hunting for even worse things to champion - spoiler, Iā€™m currently printing a hydra for my Herd because a) they can take those now! and b) they seem pretty bad still!)

There are very few changes that I donā€™t like, from a game balance stand point. Hereā€™s a couple:

• Ogre Hunters gaining Slayer (D3) feels unneeded, theyā€™re already fantastic and now are even more of a no-brainer compared to Warriors. I suspect it was done to steer people away from the meta core of Braves / Boomers / Siegebreakers and because itā€™s thematic, but personally I find Hunters oppressive and this just adds to that. Maybe the continual uptick in shooting will punish that De 4+?
  • The Stampede returning isnā€™t a great feel to me, especially at the cost of gutting Minotaur Chariots. Iā€™ve been very, very excited to run a Mino regiment, thanks to Strider and a fantastic price, and now the generic ones lost Strider for gains that are meaningless to me (+1 Sp, +1 Wv). So now if I want to run the unit that was interesting to me, I have to pay +30 pts to get Strider back ā€¦ and be yet another Herd player running The Stampede because itā€™s Obviously Better than the standard unit. Itā€™s bad internal balance to have an option that invalidates other options, and bad for comp when overall variety falls. (I also have a chip on my shoulder as a post-2E Herd player, who during 2E fought a LOT of Stampedes, as they were one of the factionā€™s crutches. Nupede is certainly not the same as the OG, but itā€™ll be part of the fire that gets Herd back on the table for legacy players. Which grudgingly is a good thing.)

Overall tho, I love the Herd changes, itā€™s crazy how exciting that one page of updates is. Also loving the glut of 10-15 pt items, so many tasty things at a point value I often have room for 1-2 of.

3 Likes

Yeah man, F the stampede. As if I miss those units of toy farm animals some people used. :poop:

2 Likes

That too! I had blocked that from my memory :grimacing: Nothing like an over-powered unit combined with under-cooked hobbying*

*Not trying to poop on peopleā€™s aesthetic choices here or gatekeep wargaming, and I have seen a few superb Stampedes from back in the day (that could totally have been mino regs this whole time buuuuuuuuut anyway)

3 Likes

Any news for the Trident Realms? Did the Coral Giant get an argument to be taken? Or the Riverguard?

Glad to help.

FREE DWARFS

Shield Breakers, Crossbows, Rifles, Spear Levy and Lord ALL gain Wild charge 1

Shieldbreakers lose stock scout rule. pts are now 85/130/215/ Scout is now an option at 5/10/15 pts

Brocks gain pathfnder for 10/15 pts

Spears gain scout . no longer irregular

Rifles and Crossbows Melee 4, Unit strength 1/3/4

Herneas 135 pts

Stone Priest Alchemist curse (1) for 30 pts or free if exchanged for surge 8

NEW UNITS

Berserkers sp 5, me 4, def 4, attacks 15 troop 20 regiment, unit strength 1/3, nerve -/13, -/17, 105/165 pts
Wild charge D3, vicious melee, TC 1, Slayer melee D6, Vengeance: while counter charging, this unit has CS1 May gain pathfinder for 10/15 pts

Banick Kholearm
speed 5, me 4, def 5, attacks 6, nerve 12/14, pts 135, brutal, CS2, headstrong, individual, inspiring, pathfinder, scout
Forgeblessed- this unitā€™s fireball always hits on 4+. Bane chant 2, fireball 10

FORMATION
One lord, 3 shieldbreaker regiments with scout. the lord gains brutal and scout. the SBā€™s gain nimble and brutal. 40 pts

1 Like

TRIDENT REALM

Heartpiercers no longer irregular

Thuul Wild charge D3

Mythican Wild charge D3

Leviathan Bane- 95 pts, piercing 2. Option piercing 3 for 10 pts. Harpoon rule now reads "After dealing damage with bolt attack, you may choose to immediately move the enemy unit (n) inches as if Enthral had been cast on the unit where (n) is the amount of damage inflicted.

Depth Horrors nerve 13/15 16/18. fury

DH eternal nerve 14/16. fury

Coral Giant attacks D6+8, slayer D6 melee

Kraken Rampage D3 melee

Riverguard sentinel- javelin gains piercing 1

Naiad centurion- ensnare. option: trident of the drowned sea (1) for 25 pts. range 12" piercing 1. gains range 3+. units that suffer a point of damage from it are disordered

Siren- Sirenā€™s call enthral is 24". if one or more hits are scored, make a nerve test as if damaged

GWE- attacks 9, regen 4+

placoderm troop nerve 10/12

Riverguard no longer irregular, Me 4, Def 3, piercing 1, 120/160 pts

Oceanborne Naiad Wyrmriders ā€¦sigh
nerve 13/15, 16/18, Nimble 155/255 pts

Kyroqsh Inspiring works on everything

FORMATION
Hidden Ones-2 regiments of thuul, 1 mythican. Pathfinder for all. Mythican gains TC1 aura cephalopod only
Cost 30 pts

3 Likes

ORCS

Gain Reborn Legionaires from RF Orc list

Giant-slayer melee D6

Gawdspeaker- Tribal magic now includes Troll keyword

War drum-dread 35 pts, war wagon speed 8 nimble for 30 pts

Morax mansplitter gains inspiring

Skulk chariots- no longer irregular. nerve 11/13, 13/15

Skulks- steady aim. option pathfinder and melee 4+ for 15/20 pts

Skulk stalker- raid leader now reads- gain aura wild charge D3 tracker only and inspiring for 25 pts. cannot be combined with magic item

Gakamak- nerve 14/16 pts 220

Formation - 1 wardrum with chariot upgrade, 2 regiments of gore chariots
Wardrum gains spellcaster 1 and bane chant 2. unless disorederd, all units in formation have rampage melee D3 and slayer melee D3. Cost 30 pts

1 Like

Anything good for abyssal dwarves?

Thank you!!
One hopefully last question from my side. Are there any changes to varangur that werenā€™t mentioned in the other leaks (reddit etc) so far?

The Herd

• Guardian Brutes - gain Pathfinder & Brutal, lose WC D3

• Tribal Trappers - Me 4

• Chief on & Mino Chariots - Sp 7, Wav +1, lose Strider

• Mino Chariots - upgrade [1] option, plus Strider & Pathfinder, plus additional +1/+1 Ne for 30pts

• Longhorns - Rallying 1 (Herd only)

• Great Chief - 95pts, upgrade [1] Dread & Aura WC 1 for 15pts

• Formation - Tribal Tracker (+20pts), 2xReg Tribal Trappers (+5pts each), gain Ensnare, Tracker 11/13 & Aura Vicious for Tracker keyword, D3 damage if attacked in dif terrain

• Avatar - Dragony Hero (Mon) 285pts

• Centaur Hero - Aura Centaurs TC 1, 160pts

• Gain Scorchwings & Hydras from M List

Changes via Master List:

• Scorchwings - De 4, Att 7/14
  • Treeherder - Wilt upgrade, no artefact
  • GW Druid - within 6" of core elemental = reroll 1s on Fireball, Blizzard, Heal, Hex & Surge; upgrade [1] once per turn target second Elemental unit with same or dif spell for 25pts
  • Horde option for Bray Striders
1 Like

Do we know when EasyArmy gets updated? Whatā€™s the normal gap between update andā€¦ update?

Deadzone was up on the day of the release. Gives me hope to see the new stuff tomorrow.

1 Like

ABYSSAL DWARFS

Halfbreeds gain fury

Taskmaster on chariot Me 3, rallying 1 slave only, loses option to buy rallying naturally

Hellfane 265 rampage D6

Blacksouls Fiery Bulwark-(1) for 10 pts gains iron resolve. when used it gains D3 points healed instead of 1

Heavy Mortar- piercing 2

Hexcaster- Weakness is now20 pts

Ironcaster- 90 pts. Heal 3 for 20 pts works on everything

Supreme Iron caster on great winged halfbreed- 270 pts. heal 4 for 20 pts works on everything

Greater Golem 12 attacks

Basuzu - one gargoyle unit may be upgraded with abomination keyword, CS1, and increase waver and rout by 2 for 25 pts

NEW UNITS

Dravak Dalkan
spellcaster 2, sp 4, me 4, def 5, 2 attacks, nerve 12/14, 155 pts
CS 1, Individual, inspiring
Posession: Unless Infernok is engaged or disordered Dravak can use its Line of sight to cast spells.
Fireball 12, heal 3, surge 12

Infernok
Titan, sp 6, me 4, def 6, 12 attacks, nerve -/19, 255 pts
Brutal, CS 4, Shambling, strider, vicious melee
As long as Dravak is alive and in play, Infernok has inpisiring (self).

FORMATION
2 regiments of Immortal guard, 1 infernok
the guard lower their def to 4 and gain cs1. infernok gains inspiring and aura elite melee infantry only
Cost 35 pts

2 Likes