Clash of Kings info/updates

So V3 rulebook should have been even thicker than it was…? :thinking:

1 Like

Would have been nice.
Not sure how realistic that would have been though.
3rd as it was already suffered from overreaching with how much they changed IMO. This sounds like a similar sized step, even though the aim seems to be slightly different.

If Mantic waits for rules to be perfect or “complete” before releasing them then they would never release a book.
There also comes a point where the only real way to improve is to release it and let the community try it out.

I do wish Mantic would do a large scale beta, but that has problems of its own.

1 Like

The podacst (and previous ones) suggest they ran out of time/bandwidth for spellcaster levels and keyword use.

In the hardback, there’s a fair few pages that are half empty with faded illustrations.

My understanding is that the RC are predominantly volunteers?

Contents:

• 112 pages packed with new rules, amended army lists and new lore!
  • Halfing background and army list
  • New evil army background and army list
  • New campaign: A Storm in the Shires
  • Clash of Kings 2022 updates, including changes to Special Rules, New Special Rules, Formations, new spells, new/revised Magical Artefacts, 38 pages of army updates for every single faction!

That’s a lot more than past CoK’s, those were mostly the last bullet with maybe a bit of campaign.

1 Like

Plus any game should be able to fit in 400 pages.

there are those who like KoW as simple as it is, having more complex rules optional is a good thing
usually there are “advanced” rules in other books, but those are often not seen as optional but just “not for your first game”

I would have liked 2 books, one with the army lists and necessary changes, and a CoK book with the optional changes and formations

price itself is ok for what you get

1 Like

Most of those pages are not the actual game though.

Was replying to DreadNort about the book being even thicker. Yes, you could have less photos/background etc.

I suppose we sort of have that.

If you just bought the core rulebook, you would be a long way now from knowing the full/advanced game.

problem is more like that you have to pay for optional advanced rules, if you just want the halfling army list

this is something a lot of people don’t like and 2 books for less might have been the better joice

I feel the price for the updates should be kept as low as possible as I’ve already bought the game.

Also, after an initial read, the book will sit in a corner while I’ll use EasyArmy. But probably there’s something in there that’s not on EasyArmy requiring it’s purchase.

Are we really gonna argue about the price difference of what would be 1-2 charakter minis nowadays? Just saying … the rules books in general are a ridiculously small percentage of the total amount i’ve spent on the hobby over the years.

And considering we are talking about a game where you can play armies without any Mantic minis at official tournaments, I really don’t begrudge them 10-15 bucks extra, especially with the quality we appear to be getting.

:shrugs: Maybe it’s just me, but I’m just not seeing the issue here either way and am quite looking forward to the book. :wink:

6 Likes

60% increase?

Having Basic and Advanced rules is something that lots if wargames do - sometimes there is a natural instinct to keep things simply, yet in others it’s clear that the “full” rules are what make the game work.

Armada is a fantasy Black Seas, yet the full Wind rules are an extra, not the default as they are in the original game.

The RC are all volunteers - doesn’t mean that their contribution doesn’t go unrewarded for the time they and lots of play testers put in.

[I bought a book 2 years ago - I’ve now bought a bigger, nicer book and it’s more expensive? :wink: ]

Considering I buy very few models from Mantic, yet do want them to succeed I will not quibble over the price of the rule books.

I’m in China and only have digital copies.

I miss a nice hefty real book. For me it’s easier to access and flick through. I’ll have to see whether I can order some hard copies of their other books when this comes out.

2 Likes

it is not about the total price, 2 books, each for 18€ instead of 1 for 35€ just makes it easier and having the cheap update for those who don’t want the army lists, and the lists for those who don’t want the update

bigger problem will be with the next CoK were you than need to by the expensive outdated update to get the army lists if you start fresh with halflings

having the army lists in the same book is not the best solution

Economies of scale would require that each “half book” cost more than half of the full book, as well as complicating SKU’s and stocking. I get that you’re not pleased with the price, but it’s pretty clearly the right move for Mantic as a business.

2 Likes

I don’t care about the price, this is not the problem

The Problem is having Army lists combined with rules that are outdated with the next CoK
I would expect that the lists last longer than a year and Mantic would now need to re-print those in each CoK

1 Like

Loved the episode and looking forward to the update. Preordered.

When you have rules that change regularly, it’s tricky to have them included in multiple, potentially conflicting books. I’d prefer a free, living rules pdf available for download that includes the core rules, then a separate book that includes armies.

1 Like