Clash of Kings info/updates

The only suspense here is: When will I get my ’ detective badge’?!

4 Likes

If you had found it BEFORE they posted the artwork of the huge Orc, it would have been more impressive! :laughing:
Still a good effort though, well done!

4 Likes

Details! :wink:

2 Likes

A new episode of CC with Kyle Przz…Pryzl…Prrr…with Kyle from Mantic:

7 Likes

Kyle, Matt and Jeremy each gave thier 5 favourite changes.

Quick summary without all the details (want to leave you with a reason to give it a listen)
Number 5:
Kyle: Titans are getting a buff and 2 special rules are being added for titans.
Matt: Spell caster levels matter.
Jeremy: conditional inspiring is going away.

Number 4:
Kyle: Arcane abilities and an arcane library coming.
Matt: Formations are back, gives an example of a dwarf infantry formation.
Jeremy: More playstyles becoming viable.
Discussion on units like rangers becoming more viable.

Number 3:
Kyle: More unlocks, both in ways units unlock (ogres) and new units (TK).
Matt: Battle driller buff.
Jeremy: New spells and artefacts, gives example.

Number 2:
Kyle: Expanded keyword synergies, especially in formations.
Matt: Also titans getting a buff.
Jeremy: More auras (gives example).
Discussion on how changes are “bang for buck”, design goal to aim for small changes in terms of rules for big effects.
Discussion on how buffs are aimed at adding flavour and narrative.

Number 1:
Kyle: “Returning favorites” from 2nd, confirms that the stampede is back as a unit upgrade.
Matt: Also inspiring change.
Jeremy: realising the “full promise of 3rd edition”
Discussion on how everything is getting better with more flavour and fun; like the halfling list.

8 Likes

@KptKeno & @DarkBlack beat me to it! Guys are quick.

2 Likes

Just finished listening in the pub!

Seems really promising :wink:

Digital releases weeks after the possibly delayed physical release is certainly a way to go about it. Maybe the classic, old-school approach isn’t the best given the circumstances? Kyle mentions them possibly getting stuck on a boat, and given that my Halfling mega-army preorder still isn’t here, with no confirmation its even on its way… doubt.

Excited to hear about this ‘Gladestalker Episode’, but really my biggest takeaway from this episode is that the Revenant on Burrowing Worm might be getting a lot more useful…

1 Like

You just mean “useful”!

Few weeks after hard copy release is standard, but while I like the physical books I spend more time looking stuff up on the pdfs. I’d be happy to pay a supplement when getting the paper version to get a digital one.

1 Like

More to like than not for me, excited for the update! I’ll continue to hope that formations are both very thematic and very mediocre, as 2E confirmed how meta warping they can be (or how completely unseen).

2 Likes

It sounds like they were careful with the “injection of flavour”, so sounds promising.

1 Like

Yeah. The dwarf one us solid and could definitely form a decent battle line - hopefully the others are similarly pointed and prevent additional artifacts so they don’t become auto includes

3 Likes

Pre-orders are up with November the 8th as the release date.
Let’s hope noone gets stuck at Suez canal.

1 Like

I remember when CoK books were cheap little things for £12-15… Mantic have really upped their game with quality though so I don’t begrudge it!

3 Likes

It seems justified this time, but I hope that it doesn’t become the norm.

Arguably, some of these rules should have been in 3rd Ed.

I think it’s more a reflection of their general price rises than the quality of the book.

No. the books are much thicker and better quality now. The old ones were very slim pamphlets. The graphic design and artwork is leaps and bounds better too.

3 Likes

Ah - misread your comment as content rather than the physical quality of the book.

It looks like it’s a combo of reflecting the work that went in - updates for every army in a big chunk of the book, 2 new armies and (as mentioned above) stuff that probably should have been fully rolled out in v3 - coupled with the increased production values/quality and overall rise.

2 Likes