Clash of Kings UK 2023

@Muakhah if you need some help porting your twilight kin list to a regular elf list (or any other list, depending on your available models), gimme a shoutout.

As Kings is model agnostic, there’s more possible than you’d think!

I mean, if samurai can be elves you Twilight kin certainly can. On the other hand, if you’ve got a monster-heavy Druchi army, we might be better off using the Forces of Nature list. The spear- and crossbow elves can become naiad heartpiercers and Naiad ensnarers and your monsters can become either elementals, beasts of nature or hydras as desired.

Ooof

That’s a bit of a blow. By previous TK rules it was a lean mean blending machine…
Thanks for reaching out @Vince and @SteveDeathByDragons
It might be possible to port it to something, let me give a quick run down of the Units made up.

1 horde of spear elves
2 troops of gladestalker equivalents
1 regiment of Cavalry (was going to be the abyssal riders)
1 regiment of blade dancers
1 regiment of Impalers
1 horde of butchers
1 shadowhulk titan
1 abyssal fiend/ dragon on titan base I think
1 crone on foot
1 crone mounted
1 soulbane

These guys are currently travelling the world back to the UK. I’ll get back in July. The dragon needs finishing up and the impalers need a lot of painting to be ready.

1 Like

Outing me as a noob as I never bought tickets that way
I bought one of the leftover tickets that appeared on the shop recently and status is now “dispatched” without further notice

There will be no physical item but a email with the ticket (tournament number etc) coming later?

Same sort of question to kodos but slightly different, I’m used to the 40k/AOS tournament scene where you receive an email to a BCP link for the tournament, how does it work for KOW? I’ve never played at a tournament and totally made the super smart choice to dive head first into it by going to this one.

@Muakhah , i’ll contact you somewhere during the next month. There’s plenty options to go there, so no worries!

@SteveDeathByDragons , there’s no allies this time, right?

I had to check the tournament pack, lol. No, no allies.

@kodos @AwesomeSnow No physical ticket. We’ll check your name off when you arrive against your purchase and submitted army list and give you a wristband to make it official :slight_smile: I’ll add it to my FAQ list.

2 Likes

Cool cool, never played a game yet decided to jump in at the deepend, I’m sure it’ll go fine right? How many games is it over the weekend? I’m used to 5

1 Like

Hehe! You won’t be alone, and you’ll learn a lot, for sure! It’s 6 games over the weekend - 3 each day.

Have a browse of the tournament pack here: Dropbox - Clash_pack-1.pdf - Simplify your life

To all, can you please help me out? I offered to help @Muakhah to port his now-defunct Tkin list to another working army. If I use the Abyssal list to port the army, the porting of the units is logical and works well. Moreover, I think the army will work quite decently too.

The problem is that I reach about 1,950 points (without upgrades/magical items.) with the units listed. In this army, I’d probably want about a hundred and fifty points of upgrades/magical items (boots on the cavalry, scorched earth on the efreet, champions on succebi and molochs), which leaves me about 250 points short.

Can anyone help me filling these out?

The list I came up with:
(Forces of the Abyss, 1,960 points)

1 horde of spear elves => horde of lower abyssals, 2 handed weapons. (190)
2 troops of gladestalker equivalents => 2 troops of flamebearers (230)
1 regiment of Cavalry => Abyssal horsemen (240 points)
1 regiment of blade dancers => succubi (185)
1 regiment of Impalers => Abyssal guards (160)
1 horde of butchers => Molochs (225)
1 shadowhulk titan => Abyssal fiend (175)
1 abyssal fiend/ dragon on titan base I think => abyssal archiend (305)
1 crone on foot => efreet (115)
1 crone mounted => sadly not included. The army has no mounted heroes except for the harbringer, which is no good to include
1 soulbane => Abyssal champion with wings (160)

If possible, I would add a monster representing the well of souls (290 points) which is a) devilishly good and b) slightly over the 250 points you need. Alternatively, another pair of efreet (spellcasters) will add up to 230 points before upgrades and are a very good addition too.

As for hobby stuff, you’d need a slightly larger movement tray for your molochs, they go on a 150*100 base instead of 120x80.

To all: whatçha think?

To @Muakhah, if all else fails, gimme a PM a month or so before the tournament. I did an abyssal army back in 2019 and though nearly all models have been repurposed for other projects, I can lend you a few gargoyles-wana-bees, an efreet, a reg of tortured souls and Mau’ti-bu-su.

1 Like

Thanks for the effort and offer, it’s much appreciated. I did a similar thing but porting to the regular elves.
The core of the army would be as follows.
1 horde Tallspears
2x reg palace guard (1 with brew of haste (the blade dancers)
1 reg stormwind lancers with the nimble nerve upgrade
1 horde of the treekin things that are large inf
4 x gladestalker troops (adding two more of these is the cheapest/quickest addition when factoring my atrocious painting skill)
1 times Dragon lord
2 elven archmages with lightning bolt, (one of them on a horse)
1 elven prince or king mounted on a horse.
A smattering of points for some minor magic items here and there.

There is nothing the shadow hulk can be, so it was sadly cut from the list.

This new list is a lot more shooty, and not as much hitting power as before. But still has a range of tools. I’ll have to be careful with the many useful but fragile gladestalker troops.

Any thoughts?

1 Like

Shadow hulk could get used as tree herder - exceptional base size rule giving you the titan?

That is true, but then I would need another regiment to unlock it.

So I would have to make a quick sword chumps regiment, or drop one of the other characters.

I’ll have a look at that option, but I thought exceptional base size wasn’t allowed with auras as it spreads it out much farther.

There are only a handful of units which you can’t increase (EiD monolith for example) - and these are specifed in the rules

I need some travel advice
taking the chance to go with the family and visit London the week before (and they need to go back on Friday/Saturday as school starts again on Monday here)

best connection for me is via London anyway as there is no direct flight from Nottingham and websites advice to be 3 hours early at the airport.
Is this necessary as it would mean an extra day of travel as I would miss the earlier flights to catch a train home or is 1 hour enough?

better to go by bus or train from London to Nottingham and back?
seen on the booking sites that bus is cheaper and takes not much longer yet not sure how trustful those websites are

also is there an overnight connection?
(did not find one at a quick search but going back at night from Nottingham would mean I can catch the train back home on Monday)

I’d say it can be difficult to plan ahead at the moment with the trains and such because they are having a bunch of strikes and there are (at this moment in time) no dates for striking on the 9th and 10th of September, however that could easily change and cause you a hell of a lot of issues, the buses are a lot cheaper than getting trains to and from places but as you’ve said, it takes longer to get to your relevant destination. I’d agree with the website, sometimes our lovely British transport system sucks and have had many a friend state its taken 3 hours to get through security.

Strikes and such aside, there are plenty of options for you. The trains do not seem to have any departures from Nottingham between 21 and 05 but the buses run through the night it seems.
I checked buses on nationalexpress and trains on redspottedhanky (although it can only check trains three months ahead in time, so I chose sun the 13 of august just to get some data).

1 Like

Hello! Just a quick note about Clash of Kings UK in September- I really wanted to make a video, but I have zero time, and about 5 evenings free to paint a ton of Hellstrikers, so here we are.

Firstly - Mantic night! As well as Mantic being open on Friday for any visitors (watch their blog for details), Saturday night is Mantic Night! We have the bar upstairs from the venue exclusively for ourselves for the evening, and around 8pm (ish) I’ve persuaded Ronnie to do a chat with attendees all about what’s coming up with Mantic, including some sneak peeks just for you. I’m fairly certain if I ply him with appropriate amounts of booze we can get the released schedule for the next two years out of him :wink:
PLUS, I’m currently in negotiations to bring the famous Northern Kings Pub Quiz to Mantic night at Clash. Tom Robinson may even be persuaded to don the glittery jacket of doom. Plus board games, cool people, Rob “I’m a famous author now” Burman and did I mention the bar that’s just for us? Cool.

In other news there’s a few questions I’ve been asked around model count, tickets, and which new army rules we’re going to use at the event. It’s all available in our FAQ at the clash of kings website that you can find here:

Ok cool! Bye!

4 Likes