Counter + Multi-Charge Question

Hello! I had an odd situation pop up recently. Essentially, do Counter-Charges count as declaring a charge, for the purposes of resolving a multi-charge? (Will they slide and make room for a new unit charging in?)

On his turn, my opponent (green) charged a Horde of Large Infantry and a Regiment of Heavy Infantry into two different infantry regiments of mine (purple). Both hold, and are not wavered.

On my turn, I have a third infantry regiment in reserve, and want to get all three into the fight, with two going into the Large Infantry Horde.

I ended up disengaging the charged unit from the LI Horde, moving back 1”. I then declared a multi-charge, with both regiments against the LI Horde. This would be the only way to make that happen, right? Or would a counter-charging and newly-charging unit count as a multi-charge, and shuffle appropriately?

2 Likes

Yes, a CC can be part of a multi charge. No need to withdraw first. It will slide to its appropriate place (50% of the enemy frontage if your units are of identical width) and then your newly arrived unit will try to squeeze in to the space left for it (which looks like no problem in this case).

3 Likes

Yes, I had the space in game, but I wasn’t sure how best to get it done rules-wise. Still pretty new with 3rd, and hadn’t encountered this before. Thanks for the quick reply!

3 Likes

Yeah, a Counter-Charge is a Charge unless rules state otherwise and, as they don’t explicitly reference any changes to multicharges, the normal rules (shuffling etc) apply

2 Likes