Deployment with War Machines

Hey guys, do you have any tips / advice / strategies for deploying your units when taking multiple war machines? Do you group war machines together, or spread them out?

I really shot myself in the foot during my last game as my tall AD units like LOGS and grots blocked LOS to most of the enemy units. Patchy Terrain and even my height 2 units also blocked LOS at times as the enemy units were mostly height 2.

Appreciate any thoughts!

2 Likes

Depends which war machines and terrain/armies

Organ guns I’d clump together and use it as area denial - you don’t want to walk down facing a couple if those and you can keep a counter unit to protect them.

Generally, mortars/catapults etc stick down as late as possible and set it up so any of your infantry is in front (so you can shoot the bigger stuff). Spread them out so it will take a few turns for a single flyer/individual to take them out.

If you are lucky though to have nice firing lines, dump them all down and let opponent worry about deploying opposite.

Things not to do - stick your case/tray in the middle of the table while deploying stuff, then realise its been sat on blocking terrain, which all your shooting is now behind

8 Likes

Bringing this back from the dead for a related deployment question:

My understanding is that a ht 2 war machine behind a ht 2 infantry unit can only see ht 3 and taller units or stuff on hills. Am I correct in understanding that when a war machine says “Ignore cover,” I don’t have to worry about firing lanes if I can see a unit? E.g. Ht 2 siege artillery is behind ht 2 bowmen. We’re shooting at ht 3 cavalry. I can see them because they’re taller, and I don’t get a -1 to hit because I ignore cover, correct? But with a war machine that doesn’t ignore cover, I would get the -1 to hit unless they were ht 5. Is that right?

3 Likes

You are correct on all points.

4 Likes

Thank you! For whatever reason, I had been thinking the.“Ignore cover” language only applied to shooting at targets in woods etc. It just dawned on me that the height related stuff was at issue as well. That helps with deployment because I don’t need firing lanes as much.

1 Like

Ignore Cover rule got amended so that, unless a unit is more than 50% in terrain, if you can see it there is no penalty to hit

2 Likes

I used the ratkin formation in a recent tournament. They have 48” range and ignores cover (per September 2022). I deployed them on a flank with a 45 degree angle so they can also fire down my DZ in case anyone fliers tries to land behind my lines

3 Likes

What about deploying balista? Those for a serious cost reduction across all armies.

How to deploy those to benefit from 4+ shooting?

Depending on everything else in the army, find a nice firing line for a couple of them and just shoot anything that isn’t in cover until they die or your stuff gets in the way!

If there is h6 stuff and you only have infantry, stick them opposite

1 Like