Dwarf List 2000 - In testing on UB

I’m new to Kings of War, having been out of the hobby for several years. I’m trying to learn on Universal Battle and prepare to start buying and painting an army.

I’ve been tweaking this a bit, but the gist seems to always stay the same. I want to get another half dozen UB2 games in before I pull the trigger and buy all the rest. Please critique and discuss!

Ironclad Horde
Throwing Mastiffs, Blade of Slashing

Ironclad Horde
Throwing Mastiffs, Mace of Crushing
(had 10 extra points, other suggestions for using those points?)

Ironguard Regiment
Throwing Mastiff, Hann’s Sanguinary Scripture

Ranger Regiment

Ranger Regiment
These seem like Shieldbreakers that are faster, can shoot, have pathfinder & scout for a few more points. And I love the modeling opportunity :slight_smile:

Sharpshooters
I wanted something to reach across the table turn 1 and threaten chaff, individuals, etc.

Regiment Berzerker Brock Riders
Potion of the Caterpillar (pathfinder)
These guys seem so good, would like to have a second unit!

Ironbelcher Organ Gun
Ironbelcher Organ Gun
In games where I’ve deployed half way decent they do great work softening things up before the main clash. Overall gives the list a lot of mid-table shooting between them, the rangers, the sharpshooters, and Fury. Worth it?

Steel Behemoth
Golloch’s Fury
I can’t help but love this guy. He’s expensive jack of all trades, but is he worth it?

Herald
Lute of Ubiquitous Bane Chant
Seems a must-have

Steel Juggernaut
Scrying Gem
More mid-field shooting, decent melee, Nimble fun charges.

That US 23 and 12 Units

1 Like

Nice variety of units, and I appreciate the close-ranged firefight that it’s going for. I do think it’s light on crushing, but many of the solutions I came up with come at the cost of that short-ranged shooting that feels like the army’s theme. So I guess my main advice is about items:

Army: Dwarfs
Unit Count: 12
Unit Strength: 23

215, Berserker Brock Rider Regiment
– Maccwar’s Potion of the Caterpillar
195, Ironclad Horde
– Throwing Mastiff
195, Ironclad Horde
– Throwing Mastiff
180, Ironguard Regiment
– Aegis of the Elohi
– Throwing Mastiff
185, Ranger Regiment
185, Ranger Regiment
100, Sharpshooter Troop
310, Steel Behemoth
– Golloch’s Fury
150, Steel Juggernaut
105, Flame Priest
– Inspiring Talisman
– Bane Chant (2)
90, Ironbelcher Organ Gun

I’m not much of a fan of the Gem, and once you drop that and the other little items, you actually have enough points that I started to look at what else the DASB could be - with the caveat that you still need BC in the list. I have never seen a Flame Priest ever, but the dude can take BC and be made to inspire, plus has Fireball (6), plus has +1 Nv over the DASB. So you gather cool points for taking a rare unit, a pip more Nv, and a little more close range shooting to dunk on a fool late game (vs the DASB who literally stands around if he doesn’t have any friends left to buff). I dig it.

Then I had 15 points left, and figured the best thing for the Ironguard, who are there to unlock and be tough, was probably to be even tougher. Aegis is particularly relevant on Def 6+ units, where opponents are looking for chip damage. While these guys are probably capable of doing the 1 damage that Lifeleech (1) would give them back, Aegis is relevant any time they take damage, including if they’re super far away holding an objective and never going to reach combat (thanks Sp 4).

EDIT: On another approach, if you take a DASB w/ Lute and drop the Ironguard’s Aegis (and give the Sharpshooters Fire-Oil), you now have the points to make the Organ Guns into Cannons. They’re supposed to be the sex this edition, however they seem to engender bad feels on both sides of the table (never working / always working), vs OG which are more reliable and do a different thing, namely area denial and then deal damage. Personally I dig the Priest + Organs version.

This is fantastic feedback, I really appreciate it. I’m trying out these tweaks tonight! Thank you!

First test last night was a huge resounding success, with the huge resounding caveat that I had smoking hot dice. Really appreciate the thoughts!

1 Like

Good to hear on both accounts :sweat_smile: And happy to help!

2300 seems a popular point in UB, so for 2300 I take away all the throwing mastiffs (which I’ve been pretty unsuccessful with anyway), add a second Steel Jugger and second Brockrider Regiment.

2300 Points
14 Units 27 US

215, Berserker Brock Rider Regiment
– Maccwar’s Potion of the Caterpillar
195, Berserker Brock Rider Regiment
180, Ironclad Horde
180, Ironclad Horde
165, Ironguard Regiment
– Aegis of the Elohi
185, Ranger Regiment
185, Ranger Regiment
100, Sharpshooter Troop
310, Steel Behemoth
– Golloch’s Fury
150, Steel Juggernaut
150, Steel Juggernaut
105, Flame Priest
– Inspiring Talisman
– Bane Chant (2)

Tight additions :+1: The power play is probably to swap the Ironguard’s Aegis for J-Boots on the other Brocks, but you may well be able to let the pathfinder Brocks take care of charging through terrain and have the Ironguard continue to enough that iron resolve.