Easy army now updated

Just to let everyone know, easyarmy is updated with the new CoK
At least for subscribers, dont know yet about the free version

9 Likes

Nice! Thanks for the heads up. Iā€™d been guessing 14 days from the 8th.

2 Likes

Mino Chariots, the first entry I looked at, are down as having Strider - I guess thereā€™s a period where weā€™ll still have to check some entries. Greg has quickly changed the couple of errors Iā€™ve spotted in the past (base sizes).

2 Likes

Any errors etc can be flagged to mantic@easyarmy.com

1 Like

When I get a chance, Iā€™m going to go through the Herd and FoN lists. A lot of the keywords are missing from the Master list units in The Herd and I noticed some points errors too before I stopped looking.

That there were so many mistakes did temper my enthusiasm a bit. Itā€™ll get sorted but itā€™s back to the books in the interim.

2 Likes

I wonder if they succumbed to lots of ranty posts on Fanatics and released it without fully completing QA - certainly a number of Theme list units havenā€™t had the Master changes carried over

4 Likes

This has already been corrected. Not rechecked all the other issues but some are still outstanding.

2 Likes

The thing with EasyArmy, and its odd to see this brought up so little, is that it was a free service for a long time. A free service, done by one guy, and loved by many in the community. When 3rd launched, which is when I started playing, EasyArmy was ā€œupgradedā€ to the official army builder. A payment system was launched, several features were gated behind said paywall, but everyone was fine with this. Its cheap, its loved already, why bother complaining?

But thatā€™s where the issue is, its still being run part-time by one guy. Its still being run as a free piece of software, except now it has a paywall. Nostalgia makes this okay for apparently 90% of the player base, but as someone who only got into KoW with the launch of 3rd, I never knew the free version. All I know is the gated version that wonā€™t let me save more than one listā€¦

So here we have a paid and official service, but because its so cheap and the payments are there not because its needed to host it but as a gesture of good will and appreciation its entirely misaligned with itself.

I think EasyArmy should be more expensive so that it can actually be a paid service, instead of this weird hybrid of being functionally a free app that has features paywalled. So that Greg can actually devote a day each week to properly add all the features and spells and fix mistakes before the community finds them! So it can actually launch at the same time as the book! So it can be worth the damn fee it charges.

4 Likes

Not a fan of more expensive! Happy to pay for rules once though. Would be simpler if it was Manticā€™s. Something like EasyArmy is pretty essential for building a list for a faction like Sylvan Kin.

I donā€™t know how it compares with the Infinity and Xwing army builders?

1 Like

Well from my experience ā€¦

ā€¦ letā€™s first say, to be fair: The official X-Wing builder has a huge amount of ship and equipment cards that need to be updated and so on ā€¦

That said, it outright sucks and you still have legal build options regularly not show up or stuff that doesnā€™t work. Adding to that, the UI, while flashy, is horribly unwieldy to use.

The unofficial builder, while having a more barebones look, is actually way better, kinda like the old free Easy Army was. :wink:

New Easy Army for KoW i find quite nice imho ā€¦ although it offers little that you canā€™t do with good game knowledge and an Excel Sheet, I find it quite comfy to use, when itā€™s updated. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Oh the Infinity army builder is great. Its run by the company, up to date, and up to date the moment its needed. But its also not run by some guy in his spare time!

And yeah obviously a free EasyArmy would be massively preferable. I hate having to deal with the free version, being locked in to 1 list and having shit options to manage it is bad, but the quality of the app just isnā€™t up to where Iā€™m willing to pay anything for it. More expensive = more time invested = worth the purchase maybe.

Then again I just use https://kingsofwartools.github.io/listbuilder because I vastly prefer its UI. And it isnā€™t asking me to pay for what is essentially a free product.

3 Likes

People want detailed rules on their lists and Mantic donā€™t want this to be free
I am ok with that,

What I want is a free offline list building tool, with just the points.
Battlescribe is ok for that but with limited options and not official

1 Like

Not on fb, out of interest, what were they ranting about? The update isnā€™t normally available day one iirc.

I did think that the RC used the unreleased versions of updates on EasyArmy though but maybe that was way back.

2 Likes

The link you posted is great, is there a way to export the list after putting it together?

I couldnā€˜t find a way but maybe I am missing an obvious feature. Thanks!

2 Likes

For the pdf export, if youā€™re using a new browser then ā€˜save as pdfā€™ should be an option if you go to print the page.

If mobile browser menu, share > print > save as pdf

1 Like

They were mainly in relation to the paid subscription version of EA, few comments about the free version.

While there were posts in advance of the release of CoK being released that EA wouldnā€™t be updated straight away, these generally got missed or ignored.

2 Likes

Havenā€™t had a chance to play around with it much, but this looks good.

1 Like

I just copy paste them into a text editor of choice, then trim them down a bit. Its not ideal but it works well enough and lets me memorise the list more, and for tournaments I build a list in this then copy the pre-approved list into my one EasyArmy save slot.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for all your feedback @Sceleris @MistakeNot , going to try out the different approaches :slight_smile:

1 Like