Entering 3rd edition with Mongolians

As some of you on here may be aware I have a sizeable Mongolian force. I thought I’d see how it converts to 3rd edition. So without further delay here is the list.

The Captain, mounted. 155pts.
Wizard, Mounted, Heal 95pts
Wizard, Mounted, Heal 95pts
Army Standard Bearer, mounted. 75pts.
Regiment of Knights, 195pts.
Troop of Mounted Scouts, 100pts.
Regiment of Mounted Sergeants, 150pts.
Horde of Spear Phalanx, 200pts.
Regiment of Shield Wall. 100pts.
Regiment of Spear Phalanx, Pikes. 140pts.
Horde of Bowmen. 175pts.

Total 2,405pts.

Not sure what to add to the force to take it up to 2,500pts. Tempted to add some magic items here and there to reach that target.

I am tempted to kitbash some Fanatics and Crossbow Blocks from spare weapons I have from my Gnolls, which should bring me up to 3,000pts.

2 Likes

Items would benefit the list definitely.

Pathfinder on the knights to buff maneuvering, give inspiring to a wizard and swap one of the bsb’s for a hero. Haste & wild charge would help the sergeants.

You could run measured force on the spear horde to give the infantry some punch.

Wizards could do with bane chant rather than heal in my view.

2 Likes

Good call on Bane Chant, I think I was still under the impression that 2 hits were needed to trigger it as was the case in 2nd edition after clash of kings.

Had a glance over the magic artifacts. I am tempted by the Scrying Gem, as that is a great combo with The Captain’s Tactical Genius special rule. Especially as deployment is vital.

I’m usually not a fan of magic artifacts, I’m more of a bodies on the table sort of player. However your comment has made me look at the magic artifacts again, I must say that Hammer of measured force on the spear horde will be a nice way to deal with anything that is well armoured.

I’m also tempted to stick Crystal Pendant of Retribution on the Shield Wall Regiment. That might help them make some impact in the game.

You’ve got 20 drops as it is, plus the d3 swap, you really don’t need the scrying gem, esp as half the drops are sp8/9.

In my view pendant needs to be on something fast or something that won’t die quickly. Mate uses it on a mounted hero and it’s a right pain - fast, fairly difficult to hit with regular shooting and if you give him IW you get one turn fearless to get him stuck in to something?

1 Like

Good points. Yeah, maybe the Scrying Gem is a bit overkill.

Just ordered the Giant Eagle from WizKids (along with 2 of their cannons). Plan is to mount a spare Mongolian horse rider on it and use it as a General on Winged Beast. Think that is a perfect candidate for the crystal pendant of retribution.

Looking forward to seeing how those Cannons work out, 2 attacks hitting on 5+ with blast D3+1 is a better iteration than what was in 2nd edition.

Bit of threadomancy, but if you haven’t already, check out the halfling beta list- couple if options for nimble cav, inc horde options, while reg size with ranged attacks