Evade checks

1. Does the +1 on evade checks make it easier or harder?
    Assumed it was a benefit but just a battle report on youtube where it played as a detriment.

2. Also do you roll when just about to hit the enemy or before you move (measure at the start of the move step, see that you will hit, roll before proceeding to move)?
    I assume its the latter, before moving?

3. If you are about to hit an enemy ship but pass the Evade test, are you actually allowed to (and encouraged to try to) warp through it, as long as you clear the ship completely?
    It reads like stopping short and turning away is the plan B if you are not able to warp through and clearing it.
    But I dont think it is intuitive in the rules.

What’s the modifier? As a general rule in gaming, if it is yours and paying for it it is making sh*t easier!

Noone is paying for it. Evade: each ship involved will attempt to Evade by making a Skill Test, adding +1 to the roll.

Skill test:
if you roll the target number or higher, the test is passed.
Inexperienced crew: 6 to pass
Regular crew: 5+ to pass
Veteran crew: 4+ to pass

Looking at it again, I assume I should roll the dice and then just add one. That would make the result better than my roll.

Yeah, this - plus one to the roll, not the target

yes it makes it easier to dodge. Rarely if ever does someone want to ram and when they do other crews are adept at getting out the way. Smaller vessels also get an additional bonus to evade on top of the +1

To answer all three questions:

“1. Does the +1 on evade checks make it easier or harder?”
According to Collision rules p.20 “adding +1 to the roll.” which means it makes it easier to pass.

“2. Also do you roll when just about to hit the enemy or before you move (measure at the start of the move step, see that you will hit, roll before proceeding to move)?
I assume its the latter, before moving?”
You Activate, you move, if you collide then at that point you take the test, after the test you continue your move or pivot on the spot depending on the result.

“3. If you are about to hit an enemy ship but pass the Evade test, are you actually allowed to (and encouraged to try to) warp through it, as long as you clear the ship completely?
It reads like stopping short and turning away is the plan B if you are not able to warp through and clearing it.
But I dont think it is intuitive in the rules.”
Yes, if either you or enemy ship pass Evading test, then you go through the enemy ship - as long as your remaining movement takes you over and fully to the other side. If you cannot move entirely to the other side, only then you turn to clear enemy ship in next move step/activation. It is just as you wrote.

I just feel like it would be easier to hold the ruler and see if I would be able to clear the other ship with my stern BEFORE I move, than to recall what fraction I have left of my move at the point of impact, and then measure that fraction, if you know what I mean?

Seems smart to agree with the opponent before moving anything, so it could be checked and agreed upon by both sides, in case one of us passes the Evade test.

1 Like