Fantasy-Themed Wargaming Tables, Terrain & Scenery

I’m working on a modular gaming table for use with Vanguard and other wargames and could always use more inspiration.

Feel free to post pictures of your setup or any particularly interesting fantasy-themed tables or terrain you’ve spotted (regardless of the game).

I have backed this KS, looks very promising. If you are not in it, maybe there is a chance for late backing or pick it up when it hits retail.

Fantasy Wargames Terrain from Battle Systems™, via @Kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1621774283/fantasy-wargames-terrain-from-battle-systemstm

2 Likes

Backing the Goblin Grotto part of the Printable Scenery Kickstarter. Seems like it would be general enough for various board types and would look great with grass or snow flocking on top.

I’m interested in how you plan to make your modular table! Do you think about 1’x1’ tiles? Something else?

For now, at home I use a big standard fantasy mat, some houses from 4ground, some trees, various scatter, … and it is a bit limited, but it works out OK! I also play quite often at the FLGS anyway.

I’ve been 3D printing the blank Terrascapes Hextiles and flocking them for a general grass field look. Each tile is roughly 6 inches across with a 5mm thickness and each side has two holes, into which I’ve installed 1x2mm magnets. I can arrange them however I need and they stay aligned.

The original plan was to complete a 31" x 42" grassy area then immediately start making coastal/other terrain types but I think I’ll take a break first. I’d rather focus on buildings/scatter terrain and, of course, actually using it to play :stuck_out_tongue: .

My table is limited to 31" in the one direction so that was another motivation for using these tiles over a simple neoprene 3’x3’ mat. Also, I needed everything to be compact since I live in an apartment. It’s my first project like this but I’m pleased with it so far (still a work in progress).

Photos

3 Likes

Woah, love these! I’m now officially tempted to copy that idea :wink:

I need to start printing some hexes now. Table and terrain look great.

Resurrecting another thread rather than start a similar one. This was the most recent table I laid out. A mix of Ulvheim 3d printed ruins from Thingiverse, a Reaper Bones ruined tower and standing stones, and Fenris Games resin cairns and barrows. With some of the Mantic vanguard Kickstarter bits scattered around as well.

3 Likes

Nice table! How is has it been with that amount of terrain?

1 Like

Really good. Mounts weren’t dominating. Shooting wasn’t dominating. Positioning was very critical and strategic. I’m not sure where the upper limit on the amount of terrain to put down is, but it’s not that yet.

That’s a great looking table! I’m always a bit hesitant to put elevated terrain in the center of the table, especially if it’s overlooking objectives in the clear: Scouts and fast archers can be nasty if they can camp.

I think the upper limit of terrain does depend a little on the factions and scenarios. If this was for a cross-the-table scenario like Free the Princess and I was running a slow faction like Dwarfs or Abyssal Dwarfs, this would be tough, especially the top third. I’d consider putting gates or openings in large wall sections, and paths through large woods or tall fields.

The game we played was light the beacon. Beacon got put in the yard at the top of the table. He was playing Trident Realm as defenders and I was attacking with my undead. I won, but it was close. And to be fair it was only his 4th game or something but I couldn’t go soft because it was for a combined KoW/Vanguard map campaign and he kept beating me at KoW.

He did camp some shooters in the building overlooking the yard, but my wraith was able to sneak in and clear it out while they were focused on shooting up the rest of my Warband coming for the beacon

2 Likes

There is some pretty neat stuff for Vanguard in this Kickstarter from Dungeons & Lasers!

1 Like

I had a bit of spare time and repainted my Vanguard tents with my airbrush. Also managed to paint the big tent and the dragon egg.

4 Likes

Wow, the colors on the tents look so authentic. You did a great job on the shades, everything looks really natural with very smooth transitions. The dragon egg is also nice but the tents stand out.

1 Like

Thanks, I wasn’t happy with my first attempt on the tents, so I tried again with an airbrush. It was quite simple. Base paint is an Army Painter spray can, then two layers of highlights. The rest, I’ve done with a normal brush.
I’m quite happy with the results, much better than my first try.

1 Like