First Ogre 2300 Army advice

I am putting together an ogre list and have bought / already had anyway most of the stuff in this list. I have only ever played a few ambush games but am considering going for a 2300 tournament in the summer (depending upon money, time and how fast I can paint!)

I’m looking for advice on:

a) is this list awful?
b) what sort of tactics would this list be good for?
c) any minor changes to make it better (can’t change a lot as i already have the models and dont want to spend too much more!)

Ogres Full 2300 [2300 / 2300]
~ List Valid ~

Ogres [2300]

Red Goblin Sharpsticks* (Infantry) Regiment [85]
Red Goblin Rabble* (Infantry) Horde [125]

Red Goblin Spitters* (Infantry) Regiment [100]

• Piercing Arrow [10]

Boomers (Large Infantry) Horde [230]

Warriors (Large Infantry) Horde [215]

• Blood of the Old King [15]

Siege Breakers (Large Infantry) Horde [280]

• Blessing of the Gods [30]

Warrior Chariots (Chariot) Regiment [220]

• Mace of Crushing [5]

Giant (Titan) 1 [225]

• Giant Club [0]

Red Goblin Slasher (Titan) 1 [225]

• Aura (Fury - Goblin only) [15]

Red Goblin Biggit (Hero (Cavalry)) 1 [80]

• Fleabag Mount [25]

Ogre Warlock (Hero (Large Infantry)) 1 [120]

• Fireball (8) [25]
  • Drain Life (5) [20]

Grokagamok [1] (Hero (Large Infantry)) 1 [250]

Kuzlo & Madfall [1] (Hero (Large Cavalry)) 1 [145]

• Enthral (5) [0]
  • Hex (3) [0]

Thanks!

c) Grok is always cool to see - he’s an absolute unit but relatively rare this edition, while an absolute menace last edition. But whenever I see a single Warlock, it’s pretty clear you should take Nomagarok if at all possible. Hell, most people auto-include her in every list. Noms is just better, and the only source of non-item healing Ogres have access too. Bane chant is awesome as well. Happily enough, when you strip the many upgrades from your list, you can too:

Ogres [2300]

Red Goblin Sharpsticks* (Infantry) Regiment [85]
Red Goblin Rabble* (Infantry) Horde [125]
Red Goblin Spitters* (Infantry) Regiment [90]
Boomers (Large Infantry) Horde [230]
Warriors (Large Infantry) Horde [200]
Siege Breakers (Large Infantry) Horde [265]
– Chalice of Wrath [15]
Warrior Chariots (Chariot) Regiment [215]
Giant (Titan) 1 [225]
– Giant Cleaver [0]
Red Goblin Slasher (Titan) 1 [225]
– Aura (Fury - Goblin only) [15]
Red Goblin Biggit (Hero (Cavalry)) 1 [80]
– Fleabag Mount [25]
Grokagamok [1] (Hero (Large Infantry)) 1 [250]
Nomagarok [1] (Hero (Large Infantry)) 1 [165]
– Bane Chant (3) [0]
– Heal (4) [0]
– Lightning Bolt (4) [0]
Kuzlo & Madfall [1] (Hero (Large Cavalry)) 1 [145]
– Enthral (5) [0]
– Hex (3) [0]

The only item I included is fury for the Siege Breakers, as you will want them fighting always and nothing sucks worse than your hammer wavering in combat. Arguably the fury aura on the Slasher should probably be boots of strider on the Warrior Chariots, but I’m here for taking the Slasher’s special upgrade if you’re taking a Slasher in the first place. Try it a few times and see if it ever comes into play, although it does also give the Slasher fury, so that alone could be worth it? (Also note that I took slayer on the Giant over rampage. This is still the prevailing preference for the big guy, plus it helps him smash down other titans, which IMO is always the goal from a kaiju big battel standpoint.)

a) Not totally! Ogres are still good at playing every scenario, and you have the tools to put out serious hurt when given the chance or against a similarly slow army. The main issue you’ll face is that quite a few armies are tooling up to be much faster than Ogres can be (i.e. they have flying hammers), and Ogres don’t really have the shooting to counteract this (Shooters are seeing a comeback thanks to some buffs and because of these damn fast hammers). The army above also doesn’t really have great chaff - units that can go get in the way and give your hammers a chance to swing first. These are typically troops of Red Goblin Scouts, regiments of Berserker Braves and Berserker Bullies, or regiments of Warriors = fast + cheap or fast + relatively resilient units that can speed in and buy time, hopefully doing damage in the process. Your goblin units are your trash chaff here, but they’re slow and while good at doing trash things (scenario work, holding up opponents for a bit then dying, etc) they don’t dictate the game as much. They are certainly good to have around tho! Kuzlo has potential to be annoying but he’s probably scooting down a flank and looking for flanks or whatever he can get. His hex will also be great.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll have a look at changing up the warlock for sure, and your other changes too. The slasher is the only thing I’ve not bought yet, so i could lose that and go for sniffs or similar, but the model for the slasher is just really cool! I’m not that bothered about having the very best most optimised list (I’ll probably not even get a have in with the full list before any summer events!), but it’s good to hear its not complete crap, and the changes you’ve suggested will just make it that little bit more competitive!

1 Like

I do think the Slasher is a good beastie and a cool model :+1: Often you see them with trumpets these days but I didn’t know what model you were using or if you fancied the longer range potential vs short range clean up / combo with the Boomers to sweep things away.

If you do replace it, I think swapping to a Berserker Brave regiment and upgrading the Biggit to a Berserker Bully might be a thought? Biggits are virtually unseen these days, thanks to the existence of the Crocodog Wrangler when it comes to annoying individuals and better scoring heroes when it comes to inspiring unlocks. I don’t think they’re so bad - that extreme speed is nice for doing tricky individual spacing things, like keeping your guys from hindering on terrain or so on - but 3 CS1 attaks @ 4+ even struggles at disordering flyers,* which is often a key use for mounted fighty individuals.

*I ran the math and that’s only an average 0.8 wounds into De 5+ :grimacing:

1 Like