Fun addition rules and game scenarios to consider

Here is an example of a fun rule.

If a unit gets routed after failing a nerve roll, wouldn’t it be fun to allow the victorious opponent unit, the option to move forward and claim the magic item, as they would a Loot Token.

1 Like

I’ve never thought of that, that would be really fun actually. Could create some truly memorable moments, for instance if a unit stole the Caterpillar potion and in the next turn the unit moved at the double through terrain to claim an objective.

2 Likes

It would certainly discourage your opponent from throwing rare magical items willy nilly on chaff units to boost them, only for the other side to pillage them. :wink:

1 Like

I dont think thats very normal though (items willy nilly).
But it would cause players to think twice about auto including all their favourite items every time. Sharpness and Strength are less fun if they can be turned against you.

2 Likes

Even worse would be putting an item on an Individual without Mighty, so they can collect the item on their way passed for a second charge …hehehe

1 Like

I love these sorts of rules, although I tend to prefer them to be scenario specific, campaign rules, or randomly generated shake-ups like with the old 2E KoW Battlefield cards.

2 Likes

me too @generalsloth . a campaign with specific goals and small bonuses for the winner of each round, and a gradual increased size from a scouting mission to all ot war, can always be fun .

1 Like

Crystal pendant - everything keeps exploding! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

another fun idea is having something like a cursed wood, which units could randomly roll theconsequences of being in it each turn, some benficial, others not so. Like teleporting the unit to another similar wood (or magical archway etc. ) on the far side of the board, (or giving them thunderous charge for theirnext turn …

2 Likes

Re the nick item thing - in a situation where you would otherwise Rout a unit, you can instead Waver it but steal their Artifacts & Loot.

4 Likes

I think there is room for lots of these nice extras in scenario play and narrative or campaign games.

I do know from Battletech however - a game with whole four hundred page books dedicated to fluff and narrative rules - that the further you move into those rules the more you break the points matching system.

3 Likes

I’m a massive fan of GMs in games when it is possible. It’s a much bigger thing in historical gaming - not so much in fantasy. Once you start messing with rules and therefore points the more important a GM becomes. I’m a huge fan of extra rules in the right space - I’ve played multi year Battletech campaigns and Mighty Empires driven WFB campaigns but balance in points is the foundation of any good system. KoW is very focused on a tight system - which is great. It would also be nice to expand the game with an optional rulebook that adds lots of flavoursome extras that can be used as a group wishes. Like in Battletech however these aren’t core rules or tournament legal rules. They are a side dish you can pick and chose from as you wish.

On that note I wonder would Mantic ever do a Mighty Empires style campaign overlay for KoW?

4 Likes

Being able to cast surge on enemy units (wrestling control of them from your oppo) could be fun. :wink:

KoW has lots of scope for narrative/GM led scenarios

2 Likes

I would appreciate a siege scenario a lot!:european_castle:

2 Likes

Things I always liked are.

Blind deployments. Put something along the middle of the board, so players can’t look over. Players deploy their units without the opponent knowing what is being deployed. Once finished lift up the thing blocking line of sight, amd look on in horror as your forces are completely in the wrong parts of the battlefield.

A game where one player has just heroes, who all gain the fearless rule. The opponent has to kill them all to win.

Defend the middle. One opponent deploys all their forces around the table. The opponent gets 25% less in points, and deploys in a fortified position in the centre.

O think games where players have different missions objectives from each other are very fun.

5 Likes

The siege rules from the last v2 CoK book are relatively straightforward to convert over, but it would be nice for an official update

1 Like

I don’t own any v2 CoK book, so updated rules would be cool.

2 Likes

Some great ideas there @Stonehorse

2 Likes

We did blind deployment for a 6k game, which was fun!

The other way if doing a similar thing are with numbered tokens, each representing something (specified on the list). The units are then deployed covering the token. That way you get a idea of where things are being placed, but not what - and you don’t have to worry about forgetting where terrain features are!

4 Likes