FutaManticore: 80's Dark Synth Nightstalkers (and other gribblies)

There’s something about speedpainting with a limited palette I find most satisfying. The planning, preparation and execution coupled with sometimes unorthodox results just strikes a chord. So when faced with an army and mega army of Nightstalkers, I had to do something to shift the shameful pile of grey plastic.

Next in the queue: More scarecrows and some reapers

17 Likes

Strong and effective look, I like it! :grin:

Great shading and the glowing mouth/tongues really pop! Awesome :slightly_smiling_face:

Love it! Suits them perfectly! :slight_smile:

Mini update. Managed to churn out another 2 ‘troops’ of Scarecrows and a troop of Reapers. I quite like the design of the Reapers, but like Phantoms, they’re a bugger to rank-up.

Speaking of which, I’ve got some Phantoms in the pipeline and some more Scarecrows.

There also seems to be small, rodent-like squeaks and scratches from the hobby pile.

9 Likes

Wow, 8 months…
Well, in that time, I’ve reviewed my Nightstalkes and think I’ll go for a second take. It’s a solid concept but the execution could be improved upon. The main blue & red are too dark for my liking, so I’ve switched up for a lighter turquoise and pink while relying on the same drybrush and purple wash to make it organic. I’ve also decided to paint the weapons, albeit basic, for a little added interest. As for the bases, the red/pink just wasn’t working on a large scale, so I’ve decided to have a more detached colour pallet while still showing a blight-like corruption. As such, enough for a Nightstalker army

4 Likes

So, the bases have been put to use
Scarecrows

Heros

Butchers

Shadow Hounds

Overall

Still have some Scarecrows left over that will go to my next batch of WIP bases

5 Likes

Also, before I settled on Nightstalkers, I also bought a box of Forces of the Abyss, but just couldn’t settle on a scheme. I tried numerous failed attempts to balance a cohesive theme with something unnatural/inorganic while still capturing a sense of corruption. I’ve dubbed my new test ‘Legions of Rust’, but is still WIP. The photo’s a bit meh; if anything its more sepia than I realised, but I’m planning on adding some green mossy foliage and an eerie glow for some spot colour. I was also thinking reddish rust wasteland bases with random junk sticking out, but who knows…

1 Like

Managed another regiment of Scarecrows, giving me enough bases for a legion, and tried out the white lining in my botched photo box

Next in the queue is a Terror, followed by old mono-pose Reapers and more Scarecrows.

4 Likes

Mini update. I managed to find a little time to finish off the Terror, though really it was just picking out the white and orange to give the model a little pop

Also got some (slightly) better pics of my rust test scheme, with added pop

If I was to expand this onto the Abyss models I have, I’d probably pick out some details in gold/brass before weathering.

5 Likes

Slightly better photos of the Terror

Along with a Troop of Reapers

And some more WIP Bases

I’ve got some Phantoms to paint along with more Scarcrows and Butchers to assemble.

5 Likes

So a month, and in that time I’ve started hoarding for the winter. That is to say, I’ve focussed on assembling and undercoating as many models as I can before proper winter rolls in and weather permits for undercoating.

So very little progress to show, but I have finished the bases for some Butchers and Shadowhounds for a small break.

6 Likes

Fleshripper! My favourite model from 2023, though that could be because I haven’t bought a Void Lurker yet.

I may add a little splatter and gore to the blades, not sure yet. It’ll soon be joined by another Regiment and Horde of like-minded monstrosities.

4 Likes

And I’ve finished a few more Butchers I was painting alongside the Fleshripper

Did you know the collective noun for Butchers is a Goring?

I have some Shadowhounds I hope to complete before the end of the month, but I may be doing a test run on the Twilight Kin paint scheme. I appear to have taken inspiration from Nougat bars I remember from my childhood

4 Likes

Last one for the weekend. I got the basic idea for my Twilight Kin down and quite happy with the result. They’ve now become an unofficial leader for a regiment of Scarecrows, directing the void-spawn forward and compelling more Scarecrows to rise from the pool in front of the Alter.

6 Likes