Game 163 - Forces of Nature - 2022/10/23

Great battle reports as ever! Catching up on the ones for the second half of 2020.

Against the OotB, did the Paladin on Dragon fight anything?!

How would you respond to the artillery next time? It took costly units to deal with them in this battle.

1 Like

TTS looks really interesting. Iā€™m not making any demands, these reports are excellent - but some TTS screenshots of epic moments and the line of battle would be great.

1 Like

HI @MarkG!

Thanks a lot for your comments! I am glad you like the reports! I have a few more battles to write about so hopefully I am going to find time to post some more soon.

In the game against the Brotherhood my opponent was a bit shy with his Dragon and in the end he did not commit the beast to a fight.

Yes, it may look like I sacrificed the expensive units to get rid of the artillery. What it did in addition, however, was that it diverted some more enemy regiments from the scenario objectives. Ideally, I would have preferred to deal with the war engines either faster (so that I can fly away with Drakons and support other elements) or shoot them down with my fast cavalry. The second option is often less likely though, because the cavalry has the range of 18" only. It means it often gets into charge range of the faster elements of the enemy force.

I agree, the photos from the TTS game were not great and did not showcase the platform well. It was because I was quite busy learning the ropes and I simply need a bit of more practice in getting the right angle for the screenshot. I would try to take better ones next time I have a chance to play!

Thanks!

Hello!

Here is the link to my most recent battle report. Long overdue, first game of Rage of Isolation 4 online tournament.

Elves vs Sylvan Kin commanded by Nick in Raze scenario. Many thanks to Nick for a great game!

Game 153 - Sylvan Kin - 2021/03/12

5 Likes

Another great report, thanks!

1 Like

How lucky were the Gladestalkers, do you rate them in general? Do you think he could have played the Wiltfather better, he seemed to get bypassed a bit?

And did the Forest Guard tempt you to include a horde? :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for the report, very helpful to me as a novice Sylvan Kin player. :smiley: Glad to see Gladestalker and Boskwraith troops present and doing at least something, even without Bane Chant around.

2 Likes

Hi @MarkG!

Thank you! I am glad you enjoyed the report!

Gladestalkers - I think it is the first time I played against them. I personally like them and it simply due lack of points I do not include them as well. What they bring to the army seems to be more subtle. The example of the way you can use Scout move to get to a good position is one of such situations. They can also use it to get into terrain for cover and do not suffer penalties for cover in the first turn if shooting from the new position.

They are Elite with 8A so can help with flank attacks sometimes (Nick did that in our game). Of course, they are quite fragile and their impact may often be indirect, so it is more difficult to see what is their exact contribution and the value for the army.

Wiltfather - I think Nick did very well with Wilfather. Yes, he saw combat only once but continuously affected my units with Cloak of Death. He collected the objectives (I did not show it properly during the report) and constantly threatened my regiments. This is also why I had to act fast from turn 2 rather than try and shoot at the enemy a bit longer. And perhaps force more units into the open.

Forest Guard - No :slight_smile: There is no doubt such units have their advantages and are great for many armies. But it didnā€™t tempt me to include one :slight_smile:

Thanks!

3 Likes

Hi @MistakeNot,

Thank you, I am glad you liked the report and found it useful!

I mentioned it in reply to MarkG about Gladestalkers and I think Boskwraiths are similar. They are not the types of the units that can charge gloriously into the thick of battle on their own and rout any enemy in a single round of melee. They are more difficult to use because they are quite fragile. But as you could see, they have a role to play and can contribute to the overall success too.

Thanks!

1 Like

I think I heard this on the Direct Misfire podcast - one of them had a game where two units of Gladestalkers shot at their unit of ratkin halberdiers while backing up for several turns, only for both units to finally charge in and finish them off.

2 Likes

Ah, I can see how the Wiltfather contributed more than just his one combat. Iā€™d prefer a 300pt unit to do more killing but if heā€™s winning the mission, fair play.

1 Like

Hi @MarkG!

So true! If you have an expensive model, you do expect it to inflict some damage directly. Although Wiltfather engaged in a single melee this time, he still routed my most expensive unit! And did the things for the army other regiments couldnā€™t.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Good to see a Swordmaster battle report after quite a break. Your analysis is spot on. He must have rolled two very high nerve rolls to take out your Drakon Riders turn 1?! You were in trouble from then on, as you had nothing else fast to offer a threat on that flank.

2 Likes

Thank you Ed!

I am definitely behind with battle report. Hopefully, I will be able to catch up soon!

I cannot recall the exact rolls but yes, above average was required. Having said that, I made a mistake of allowing one unit to shoot at the Drakons without cover penalty that resulted in such outcome.

It was a problem, for sure. I do think, however, that did not do as well as I could have on the other flank either. Not the best performance by the Outcasts this time!

Cheers!

1 Like

Hello!

Here is the link t my most recent battle report from the 2nd round game of Rage of Isolation 4 online tournament played on Universal Battle 2. Elves vs Abyssal Dwarfs in the Pillage scenario, commanded by Michael.

Many thanks to Michael for a great game!

Game 154 - Abyssal Dwarfs - 2021/03/20

3 Likes

Another clear, well presented report. Good to see the army performing well, your smaller units dealing out enough damage.

The strength of the win means the report lacks some of the tension/suspense that I enjoy in your other recounts! Well done on talking things through with Michael after the game.

If you werenā€™t in a tournament and you were playing a friendly against a beginner, would you change your list at all? To either try things out or as an opportunity to take less competitive choices.

1 Like

Hi @MarkG,

Thank you for your comment!

Actually, I think my list is quite friendly as it is :slight_smile: So I would most likely not change it if I knew I am playing against a beginner. Iā€™d rather focus on sharing as much as I know about the game with the new player, either during the game, after or both. It all depends on how the player would like to do it.

If I wanted to try new things in the army, I would do so regardless of the opponentā€™s experience. New players may often surprise you with something nobody have ever thought about doing before. While veterans can guarantee that you are going to be properly tested by fighting the armies they honed over many battles.

Either way, there is always something to learn!

1 Like

Hello!

Who would have thought it has been 10 years already? Thatā€™s right! I have been writing battle reports for 10 years!

Here is a link to a blog post when I talk a bit about it!

9 Likes

A great read. The pictures/maps really make the reports (this post too). Well done on keeping it up for a decade - it must be time consuming on top of an already time devouring hobby.

Iā€™d not seen MeG before, it looks interesting. I enjoyed the interwoven activations in Confrontation.

Do you post links on Facebook etc? I feel these reports should have a wider audience (though not an FB user myself).

Thanks for all the battle reps!

1 Like

Hi Mark!

Thanks! Yes, it takes some time but I do enjoy it and I believe the effort is worth it. :slight_smile:

I think with KoW and MeG I am covering all the hobby needs. KoW is great for more detailed and creative painting. And is much faster to play. MeG allows me to connect with history and all the books I keep reading about ancient battles. So the only element the systems compete for is time!

Yes, I do post links on FB and Twitter.

Cheers!