Graveyard Rodeo (Undead Army)

Thanks man, glad to hear that the stuff I post is somehow inspiring. The green is incredibly easy, just start with the darkest green you want as base, and simply dry brush with less and less brighter green layers. Do a shade from time to time if you think you’re going too bright, but there’s absolutely nothing you can do wrong :+1:

2 Likes

Okay, it’s monday morning and I’m tired like hell, so I try to avoid work (which is not easy while sitting at work), and post some more… one of the last entries my undead can provide:

Revenant King on undead great wyrms (flying/burrowing): Those guy(s) were an evergreen in my v2 lists. Threatening, quick, surging (is that spelled correctly? :thinking: ), and last but not least I could use models for them which I love, but always feared to paint. Funny story, I had one of those finished about 50%, which is not little time and effort spent so far, when I decided I wanted the interior skull mass in another color - So I traded my finished Terrorgheist, that had no real use for me any longer in KoW (mostly because of the sheer base size) for another Mortarch kit, and started the whole thing again - I did both in two weeks, when I had a sick note and got myself into a painting enrage :smile: The one with the blue “filling” is strongly influenced by the design and appearance of the Divine Beasts from Zelda: Breath of the wild, for those of you who played the game - The ones who haven’t: Do it, it’s definetely worth the time :wink:

Another fun fact: I did the one with the broken statue on the base first, because I wanted him to be smaller than the original model. Yeah. Definitely worth the effort :man_facepalming:

9 Likes

Sounds good. I’m excited to try it out. Thanks for the response.

Ok, one of the last boneybone stuff models.

Vampire Lord on Undead Dragon: That guy annoyed the sh*t out of me, mainly because of the basing. I had him based for WHFB, on one of those strange half chariot / half something else bases. But it was 50mm wide, and someting about 75mm long, so it met the regulations for v2 monster basing. Then, for my first tournament, I decided to go the extra mile and rebased him on 50x50, in a quick and dirty overnight basing process (the base I had him standing on before was the very first time I put really, really much effort into the basing itself, with a blood-mud-pool, a half emerged sarcophagus with a raising skellie, tombstone and so on. The new base now is just some cobble stones and bushes, but had the right size… then came v3, and there was no longer any undead stuff on 50x50, except the goreblight, and that was not working out at all. So now I have a undead dragon that I won’t rebase on the titan base, because I have another one WIP one, and if there’d be need, I would take one of the Mortarchs as Dragon guys. Not sure if I will field the Dragon itself one day, maybe in the skeleton-elite-list I mentioned at the beginning of the thread xD

8 Likes

Hey guys, today I’ll give you the last but one pics of my undead, or at least something I’m still trying to figure out as what unit it could count. Back in the days I loved the model of the GW Mortis Engine, because hey, us undead suddenly had this huge, wonderful deathbringing shrine thing, which was also stuffed with bits that could be used for everything else, depending if you made a Mortis Engine or the Coven Throne. Enthusiasm was big when I assembled the model, painting was horrible and it took really really long only to decide what color scheme the whole, indeed eyecatching thing should get. Not an easy choice, and having the internet flooded with examples of both brilliant and, let’s say not-that-painting-focused-player’s-things :sweat_smile: Don’t get me wrong please, I admire everyone who lives the hobby, and gets paint on their minis - that’s in every way better than fielding grey knights (outta 40k :smiley: )
Back to the ME, I saw it, I wanted it, and I got it:

And if you love something, what is there else left to do, than getting more of it? And if you see the mountains of bitz, which piled up over the years, and you live away from your home more or less alone, so there are no real social interactions over the week (I’m fine, don’t worry xD that’s just an excourse to my first year after finishing studies (no idea if that is correct grammatically :thinking: :man_shrugging: ), you wonder what to do with all that time, and stuff. And somewhere in your mind pops up an idea: “I wonder if I can build my own scratch ME. With Black Jack and Banshees!” (insert Bender Meme here)
Turned out, I could. This is one of the 3 (hobby-related) things I’m extremely proud of, and I don’t see any sign of being tired to show it off xD so please forgive me, and have fun with it :slight_smile:

Scratch ME (no idea what to do with it in KoW though)

14 Likes

OMG some insane stuff in the recent posts! Very cool! :clap:

1 Like

Thanks dude, glad you like it :slight_smile: there is some blood, sweat and tears in there :sweat_smile: …mostly visible on the the Zs and weapons :crazy_face:

I will - for now - end my pic posting here, as I haven’t finished something new (undead) in the meantime. So, when my second army is done with the pics, I will start again - maybe here or in another thread, I haven’t decided yet. Maybe I will go for some WIPs or stuff, one never knows :man_shrugging:

For the last pic I wanna push someone, who inspired me a lot and is one of the craziest, sickest, busy-nest and nices-est guys (it’s a word now!) who I had the pleasure to get to know and even met up in reallife. We’ve first made contact at the already mentioned vampire-counts.net forum, at which I spent much time over the years and started my very first internet postings. The feedback there was one thing which kept me busy, and in some times even in the very hobby!
So the guy I’m talking about started to post his stuff, which was awesome from the beginning, but got even better the more he experienced his own borders and skills. We had some chats over the years, about hobby and private stuff (he made me a tattoo drawing template for example :smiley: ), his moving from Poland (his home country) to Berlin, more hobby stuff, and so on. One day he asked, if I had time to meet in Cologne (near where I live), what I had to decline, because I was going to marry on that day :smiley: I then asked him, more as a joke, if he and his wife wanna just come to the wedding instead of meeting in cologne, and eventually, it happened! He made us a present which was above perfect for the wedding theme itself (horrorparty ftw :love_you_gesture: ) and the whole time we had contact before. But see for yourself:

The amount of perfection he puts in his work is more than incredible, if you spend some time checking the details of skin, mud effect, sculpting work and so on. I strongly (goddammit I wrote “hardly” at first, because translated literally in german that would mean exact the opposite :grimacing: ) encourage everyone to read through his blog at

and/or follow him on
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/borgnines_painting/

And, if you’re not tired after that, here is an episode of the nice Cryinmo podcast, in which he was interviewed not that long ago :wink:
https://www.cryinmo.com/2019/10/30/episode-25-king-of-the-vampires-interview-with-bartek-from-borgnines-painting-blog/

I’ve never did this kind of recommondation before, but he is one of those rare people, who are just inspiring and motivating by what they do, and how they present what they do - he deserves much more attention for what he shares on tutorials and just the joy of painting and sculpting (plus he is a super nice guy, which isn’t always a given thing for masters at their ranks :wink: )

Thanks you for making the hobby richer, my friend! @Borgnine, aka Bartek Stachurski

6 Likes

You are very good and I would.Love to.know how long it took you.to paint them as.they.are.so detailed!

Great looking army there mate! I absolutely love it! One of the key things I love about mantic and know is that you can make armies with minis from any manufacturers, it’s simply hobbyist friendly!

1 Like

Hey, thanks - of you mean the army itself, there is no time counting which would be even approximately realistic, just because I never took any time measures, and started the most things years ago. If you’re talking about the last ones, the zombie couple, that is not my work but exclusively Borgnine’s skills. I just wanted to throw some more attention at his work :wink:

Thank you very much!
What you said was the main reason to start KoW for me, because on the long end I would have ended up selling my stuff if I weren’t able to play it any more, so to be overly dramatic, if there wouldn’t have been KoW, I would have dropped out of the hobby - thanks Mantic, and of course the guys who make a crazy nice community (here in the forum, and the guys which I play with on or a more or less regular basis)

2 Likes

Hey,
I’ve seen most of the pictures already in our whattsapp chat, but it’s always a pleasure to see the pictures again. Please keep posting your new monthly diary :slight_smile:

Took me a while to figure out who you are again xD thanks again! And I’m looking forward to our game :wink:

Hey folks, long time no see. Been busy with new army stuff, but mostly Goblins. But a few undeadish minis found their way to the painting table as well, and I have finished some stuff - but didn’t have good pictures taken by my photo buddy :stuck_out_tongue:

So for today, I only have my Goreblight conversion WIP for you. I’m quite happy with the skin tone so far, but I think a little more green as finish would be perfect. I’m not sure for the color of the guts, the tongue and some details, so any input is appreciated :slight_smile:
Original model is mamoona from Space Crusade (Prodos Games)

I hope all of you are doing well and didn’t catch any viruses flying around… Use the lock in time an put some paint on your minis :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Okaaay, here we go - After the WIP, my Goreblight is finished AND my photo dude was available to take pics :wink:
It was fun to paint, to sculpt, and I’m now one single model away from finishing my “classic” undead. Which means, everything that comes from that point on, will exclusively be painted for EoD (maybe used in Undead, but I need that for complementation feelings :smiley: )

Mamoona, as the Goreblight:

12 Likes

Those guys are done a little longer by now, but haven’t been photographed in “cool” until last week :slight_smile:
I never wasted any thoughts on playing Soul Reaver infantry, mostly because I’m a creature of habit in building lists and they simply didn’t fit my playstyle - but after reading @Vince ‘s awesome 3rd edition undead review, I gave them a try. And they Friggin. Butchered. Everything.
After playing a few games with them unpainted, I decided to give’ em the look they deserved.
(let’s simply not talk about model count here xD)

13 Likes

What a brilliant looking army! fantastic work! I love the eclectic mix of zombies and miniatures from different manufacturers.

3 Likes

Thanks friend! Glad the guys are bringing some fun :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Your painting is amazing.

The Goreblight is so vibrant. Professional level talent.

1 Like

Thank you! I’m really really happy with it, so far it’s one of my favorite paintjobs

1 Like