Guess this is more of a rant than anything... Model Quality

and this… the trim on the lower cloak? Just disappears so you lose all the detail of the trim

this is the Oathmark sprue… the detail difference is night and day…

1 Like

No time limitation?

My contract have similar stipulations but with a 6 month timeframe. I don’t think I would agree to signing anything limiting me from working in a field for all perpetuity, nor should it be legal…

Yeah, I think there should be some timeframe. It seams that Rick P also had to sign something similar and last year he made fantasy game, so I guess timeframe is around 10 year? Although, I find all that concept incredibly stupid and illegal if company can force you to not work in your field indefinitely. Imagine Jim Lee leaving DC and they tell him he can`t draw superheroes anymore?

2 Likes

Flat designs also help a lot. If you look carefully, they’ve added flat daggers and sheaths where the mold closes around the body. I guarantee you that if you look around the side of those models, you will see things to hide loss of detail like that.

But… top and front of shoulders isn’t “hidden” is it? It’s quite obvious… as proven above… honestly, after buying the battle of the glades starter set and some elves last year, that the new 2020 Dwarfs would be a vast improvement… god I’m disappointed…

Actually, they are. Looking at other pictures of those models, they added a plate on top of the chainmail to hide what would be a flaw in the model - literally adding the flat detail you’re pointing out. There’s also some blurring of the detail where the mold closes under the arm.

I’m sorry that you’re disappointed, we really worked hard on upping our game for these models and we’re improving with each new release.

1 Like

But isn’t this what Research and development are for? To ensure you can release a product without these issues?? The quality overall of these Blacksouls is massively disappointing and appalling… but honestly you’re saying as a company you’re trying to improve with every release? These are just as bad as the Salamanders in terms of lacking obvious detail… as I’ve said, Oathmark costs less per figure than yours, yet the details are superior… go figure… manufacturing excuses don’t work when we have many other plastic model companies that don’t have the issues you’re claiming you have…

Please keep your criticism to a constructive level Luke, this is heating up a bit IMO.

3 Likes

I am trying to keep it as creative criticism, just don’t like it when people try and insult my intelligence… sorry

1 Like

Im sure to a certain extent it is healthy for mantic to be reminded that not everyone thinks their stuff is top notch. Keeps them on their toes, Im sure. :sunglasses:

I didn’t intend any insult. It’s simply that the issues we’re dealing are the same issues that any other company will deal with - it’s the nature of the material and the process. Different companies will deal with it in different ways. And yes, we have a long way to go in that regard and mistakes have definitely been made which we can only learn from and improve.

If I could leave one statement, it’s that it’s easy to criticise from an outer perspective. There’s months of work refining issues in that sprue and it’s difficult to read stuff like this. Criticism is fine, that’s what I work with.

1 Like

I’ve done resin casting for some time, especially doing slot car bodies so I have a decent knowledge of how casting and molds work… hence why I’m annoyed. But just think about possibly, with new models, seperate legs and torsos, arms and shields… the models of the seperate arms and shields? Amazing! There is alot of amazing sculpts in these sprues, but it’s the obvious lacking details that ruin the whole effect. Using a 2 mold process shouldn’t have these issues in modern day mold making. I think if you invested just a little more time into ironing out these issues… you’d rival a certain bigger company especially on “model vs cost” but these details… they do matter. 75% of the sprue? Amazing!! That last 25%? Really lets it down.

If you can’t mold it a certain way with the “details” find a slightly different design to work within the limitations of the moulding process, I guess that’s what I’ve been trying to say the whole time…

I disagree. I am not that bored to glue toy soldiers all day, I just need them to be done fast so I can paint them as soon as possible. If this means that some parts will be less detailed, so be it. I just put them in back rank or convert them with “good” parts of sprue.

1 Like

Agree there.
While I love the nice miniatures Mantic have been putting out recently, I really hope that they keep the value for money model.

2 Likes

I’m painting a few hundred OathMark goblins at the moment. I love them.

Plenty wrong with them as well. You’ve all probably seen the hate directed at the wolves in particular - lacking fur detail.

Painted plenty of plastic Perry as well. Spent a year painting American War of Independence armies. Great miniatures but still have their issues. Perry metal minis are usually full of flash - I’ve even had a few miscasts sent to me.

1 Like

Do you not see any irony in your comment? “Not bothered if they lack detail because I don’t like building, but I’ll spend more time converting parts” yeah… Spock would be proud of that logic…

“Agree there.
While I love the nice miniatures Mantic have been putting out recently, I really hope that they keep the value for money model.”

While I’d like to agree, as a modeller, I’d rather pay them a few extra quid per box and have consistently detailed minis rather than minis that lack obvious details

comapring pictures of frames I cannot see were the difference of “night and day” is:

looking at the builded models and compare them to yours above the big difference is not there either, removing mold lines is still needed and some parts are missing details although that won’t matter if you put them in a regiment

but they are also a totally different design, and comparing chainmail to plate armour with ornaments is tricky

my time limitation is 3 years and I think the Perry was 5 years
yet it is long enough to get you into something else and not want to go back to your old stuff

2 Likes

Whwre are the mold lines and where is the detail lacking? Considering the detail is omitted on the models I’m showing… and if you’re happy with them in a regiment, more power to you, being complacent and ignoring the lack of details is why companies think they can do less but expect us to give more…