Halfling Beta Rules Lists & Tactics Thread

@Gerrcinn I definitely would not go for this! If I was playing Halflings, at most I’d probably take a third of this as a shooty battle group, with some bits swapped out for other ranged options.

@Sceleris Quantity has a quality all of its own. Steady Aim helps , as does 20 attacks Piercing (1) attacks.

@Boss_Salvage I’d drop the Forest Troll Gunner Heroes before the Engineers. Their Long Rifles give them a quasi Lightning Bolt attack.

Absolutely, it isn’t a bad shooting list, but it IS a shooting list so comes with all the associated negative press and in game downsides

1 Like

I wonder if other armies shooting units will become regular in the update and the Halfling list foreshadows this. By the standard of the current lists, their access to ranged builds is wide open. It seemed like Goblins were deliberately prevented from being able to build this sort of list.

Naiad shooting is well thought of on the podcast army reviews I’ve listened to - and while the Rifles are less accurate, they’re cheaper and the horde option kicks it up a notch.

Most infantry shooting is regular now anyway - goblins the obvious exception

I’d happily play against it, I’m sure it could do some damage with focused fire being applied to a few units for the early rounds of the game. However, as soon as the enemy makes contact it is going to roll over.

Still, it would be worth it for those few turns of all that firepower :smiling_imp:

Units without Spellward:

• Ej Grenadiers
  • Aeronauts
  • Forest Trolls
  • Forest Troll Gunners
  • Volley Gun
  • Howitzer
  • Harvester
  • Engineer
  • Greedyguts

Anything enginnering or troll - not sure about Greedyguts

Iron Beast has Aura: Spellward - for being a big chunk of iron, rather than being Halfling?

If you’ve touched a troll or ever been to Ej you lose it! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Greetings. I also created a list right after the Release of the Beta list. Havent played a lot of games in 3rd edition but maybe you want to share your thoughts in that list.

Anvil: 390 Pts.

Stalwarts 195

• Horde (190)
  • Relentless (5)

Stalwarts 195

• Horde (190)
  • Relentless (5)

Support: 500 Pts.

Halfling Rifles 120

• Regiment (115)
  • Relentless (5)

Halfling Rifles 120

• Regiment (115)
  • Relentless (5)

Volley Gun (85)

Volley Gun (85)

Howitzer (90)

Chaff: 305 Pts.

Wild Runners 100

• Troop (95)
  • Relentless (5)

Wild Runners 100

• Troop (95)
  • Relentless (5)

Ej Grenadier 105

• Regiment (105)

Hammer: 710 Pts.

Forrest Trolls 235

• Horde (205)
  • Blessing of the Gods (30)

Forest Trolls 235

• Horde (205)
  • Chant of Hate (30)

Iron Beast 240

• Titan (210)
  • Pride of the Shires (30)

Heroes: 95 Pts.

Sergeant 95

• Hero (55)
  • Bow (10)
  • The Standard of Hodenburg (25)
  • Relentless (5)

Total: 2000 Pts.

5 Likes

I don’t know if I would bother with Relentless on the rifles, it only works in melee and while you may get some use I think chucking an item or two onto the hordes may be worth more in the long run, otherwise it looks fairly solid

4 Likes

Thanks.
I changed it a little bit.

Anvil: 415 Pts.

Stalwarts 210

• Horde (190)
  • Relentless (5)
  • Helm of Confidence (15)

Stalwarts 205

• Horde (190)
  • Dwarfen Ale (15)

Support: 490 Pts.

Halfling Rifles 115

• Regiment (115)

Halfling Rifles 115

• Regiment (115)

Volley Gun (85)

Volley Gun (85)

Howitzer (90)

Chaff: 295 Pts.

Wild Runners 95

• Troop (95)

Wild Runners 100

• Troop (95)

Ej Grenadier 105

• Regiment (105)

Forrest Trolls 235

• Horde (205)
  • Blessing of the Gods (30)

Forest Trolls 235

• Horde (205)
  • Chant of Hate (30)

Iron Beast 240

• Titan (210)
  • Pride of the Shires (30)

Heroes: 95 Pts.

Sergeant 95

• Hero (55)
  • Bow (10)
  • The Standard of Hodenburg (25)
  • Relentless (5)

1 Like

I think I would drop the howitzer out, add a sauceror for the auras, that leaves you 10 points, one of the stalwarts doesn’t have relentless, drop it on for 5 and you have 5 points left to play with.

Or change both Wild Runners to ranged, that would give you 15 points and give the sauceror the horn for 15 points to spread the range of their auras out to 9" which can be amazing

Agree a bit with above.

A sauceror’s aura abilities are going to do more over a game than the howitzer.

I’d probably look at dropping the bow & relentless on the sergeant for the lute. Ok, it’s -1 on the halflings but it adds punch to the trolls, which are your heavy hitters and you’ll be surprised by those occasions when cs2 doesn’t cut it

1 Like

Wild Runners are already ranged but stupid as i am i put relentless on them. So i removed it.
I did some minor changes and removed relentless completly from the List and i dropped the howitzer.

Now it looks like this:

Anvil: 405 Pts.
Stalwarts 205 [Horde (190), Helm of Confidence (15)]
Stalwarts 205 [Horde (190), Dwarfen Ale (15)]

Support: 400 Pts.
Halfling Rifles 115 [Regiment (115)]
Halfling Rifles 115 [Regiment (115)]
Volley Gun (85)
Volley Gun (85)

Chaff: 295 Pts.
Wild Runners 95 [Troop (95)]
Wild Runners 95 [Troop (95)]
Ej Grenadier 105 [Regiment (105)]

Forest Trolls 235 [Horde (205), Blessing of the Gods (30)]
Forest Trolls 235 [Horde (205), Chant of Hate (30)]
Iron Beast 240 [Titan (210), Pride of the Shires (30)]

Heroes: 185 Pts.
Sergeant 80 [Hero (55), The Standard of Hodenburg (25)]
Sauceror 105 [Hero (80), Lute of Insatiable Darkness (25)]

2 Likes

List paying homage to Nick Williams scarecrow spam army.

It really relies on how much people can underestimate 1) the damage lots of me5+ attacks can actually do 2) the volume of attacks/damage it takes to kill stuff with inspiring.

Note - I am NOT building this, I only plan on doing 200 infantry :wink:

4 Likes

Oh, i love it. Never thought about that because , as a former bretonnia player i am focused on elite Units to crush my enemys under my heels. But this looks absolutely overwhelming.

2 Likes

Starting to plan out my Halflings, but I’m having a little trouble sorting out which kits build which units. In particular the thing that’s just called “infantry” in the mega army / army boxes: am I right in thinking it can do Braves, Spearspikes, Stalwarts, Poachers, or Rifles? Or do Stalwarts or ranged units require some kind of upgrade sprue? Thanks y’all!

1 Like

The infantry sprues in the basic battlegroup (which is what is in the army and mega-army) can be Braves, Spearspikes, and Rifles with just the bits on that sprue. Poachers and Stalwarts require upgrade kits or kitbashing.

Thanks! This is super helpful.

As above, plus on a side note the Stalwarts upgrade kit includes parts for the the more heavily armoured Jugger cavalry - although you can just kitbash stuff or use more of the armoured riders/dig heads from the plastic kit

I hadn’t looked through to see the final changes from the beta list, having looked at it quite closely in the summer.

Dash28 had a good article that highlighted them:

Relentless

The army upgrade option. Previously allowing you to reroll Damage it now allows a unit to reroll Hit dice. A welcome change as basic statistics mean you are always likely to have missed Hits. With Melee 5+ troops there was a reasonable chance you wouldn’t actually have enough Damage dice to roll (let alone reroll) for Relentless to do anything.

Wild names

The most important update changes Wild Runners (Melee) to Wild Lancers. This makes discussing lists and abbreviated notes so, so much simpler.

Aeronauts

For one shining moment we got to see the Halfling Airforce take to the skies across battlefields everywhere. A victim of their own success; Aeronauts flew too close to the sun and got burnt by a meta game that wasn’t ready for… I think I’m about to mix metaphors here.

Predictably Aeronauts are now irregular unit choices. You can get that glorious airborne army but not without unlocking the unit options first. They have also seen a 5pt increase in cost from the beta list and lost the Brutal keyword.

Iron Beast

Everyone’s favourite War Piggy has seen a +1/+1 increase to its Nerve values. A welcome addition to a unit that offers excellent Aura buffs whilst simultaneously presenting a massive target.

McSween’s Cutthroats

The Halfling Formation we’ve all been waiting for. Not the direction anyone expected but dripping with character. Turning the two units of Poachers it requires into ranged units to be reckoned with. Ally McSween in the mix with a bonus Rampage (Melee – D3) means you’re guaranteed hilarious hi-jinks.

The link: