Halflings of Yorkshire - Newbie list

Hey, brand spanking new to the game and utterly clueless as to how “good” this is considered. However I got a ticket to Clash of Kings and need to figure this out pronto :sweat_smile: Any advise?

Small blokes [2300 / 2300]
~ List Valid ~

Halflings [2300]

Braves (Infantry) Regiment (20) [100]

• Dragonshard Shield [20]
    Spearspikes (Infantry) Regiment (20) [110]
  • Orb of Towering Presence [10]
    Stalwarts (Infantry) Regiment (20) [115]
  • Two-handed Weapons [0]
    Halfling Rifles (Infantry) Regiment (20) [115]
    Ej Grenadiers* (Large Infantry) Regiment (3) [125]
  • Relentless [5]
  • Helm of the Drunken Ram [15]
    Juggers (Cavalry) Regiment (10) [205]
  • Blessing of the Gods [20]
    Wild Lancers (Cavalry) Horde (20) [310]
  • Brew of Sharpness [45]
    Wild Runners (Cavalry) Regiment (10) [160]
  • Blackpowder Weapons [15]
    Aeronauts* (Large Cavalry) Regiment (3) [195]
  • Brew of Haste [20]
    Howitzer (War Engine) 1 [90]
    Iron Beast (Titan) 1 [240]
  • Pride of the Shires [30]
    Engineer (Hero (Infantry)) 1 [125]
  • Aura (Wild charge(+1) - Tinker only) [10]
  • Radiance of Life (Tinker only) [15]
  • Halfling Long Rifle [15]
  • Gadgets and Gizmos [5]
  • Ej Periscope [5]
    Sauceror (Hero (Heavy Infantry)) 1 [95]
  • Sacred Horn [15]
    Greedyguts [1] (Hero (Heavy Infantry)) 1 [115]
    Muster Captain on Winged Aralez (Hero (Monster)) 1 [200]
  • Relentless [5]
2 Likes

Welcome to the forum and the game! I’ve been tinkering on your list for a little bit now, and I’m wondering if these models have been built yet? If they haven’t, here are some thoughts that mostly move weapons around to create some redundancy:

Halflings [2300]

Spearspikes (Infantry) Horde (40) [165]
– Two-handed Weapons [0]
Ej Grenadiers* (Large Infantry) Regiment (3) [105]
Juggers (Cavalry) Horde (20) [355]
– Brew of Strength [40]
Wild Lancers (Cavalry) Regiment (10) [155]
Wild Lancers (Cavalry) Regiment (10) [155]
Aeronauts* (Large Cavalry) Regiment (3) [185]
– Mead of Madness [10]
Volley Gun (War Engine) 1 [85]
– Pride of the Shires [30]
Engineer (Hero (Infantry)) 1 [105]
– Aura (Wild charge(+1) - Tinker only) [10]
– Radiance of Life (Tinker only) [15]
– Gadgets and Gizmos [5]
– Sacred Horn [15]
Muster Captain on Winged Aralez (Hero (Monster)) 1 [195]

Off the top, I cut a lot of artifacts which freed up points to add dudes and upgrade others:

• Juggers are the cav horde now, with De 5+ making them a more credible anvil and CS1 (+ TC1) a very real hammer. The Runners were turned into more Lancers, as I think you’ll want the Me 3+. While the infantry can hold guns, they can’t magic you up Me higher than 4+.
  • For the infantry mix, I gave the Braves guns and am assuming you can find 15 more Spearspikes to make a horde. They aren’t amazing as hordes go, but 165 for phalanx + spellward (+ Gadgets & Gizmos) isn’t bad at all, and they’ll form a center to your battleline that you can hopefully hammer against. Also note that the Braves aren’t bad (they’re good because they’re so cheap), but I wanted to keep 2x shooting units and the Rifles are quite good and can do scenario stuff plus put holes in things.
  • I didn’t mess with your support much at all, apart from taking their items away to make points. Haste is very nice on the Aeronauts but I had to cut something, so downgraded to just WC. It’s something! I’m also suggesting that you build the Volley Gun part of the artillery gun team, the Howitzer seems cool but the Volley Gun is way more useful as area denial (I’ve never seen a Howitzer but I often see 2 Volley Guns).
  • Heroes are cool. I cut the long rifle only for points, it’s a great gun but ah well. Awesome to see Greedyguts! Pity he doesn’t inspire but you’ve got a decent number of sources as is.

Hope that helps. If you are dedicated to the models themselves, I would still suggest swapping the Lancers to Juggers for the horde. After that I would consider adding another unit (or upgrading the Spearspikes to a horde) to fight the artifact bloat.

2 Likes

Thanks for the response! Unfortunately this is all the stuff I have built, I got way too into the building and seeing lots of little plastic fellas on my desk than I did any sort of competent list building abilities. I also have a Harvester (yet I’m utterly clueless as to its usefulness.) Its a lot cheaper of a hobby than AOS or 40k that’s for sure.

2 Likes

Ah dig it! I can work with that, and your army has a lot of variety, which is honestly more fun in the long run. The Harvester is actually really great too.

Halflings [2300]

Braves (Infantry) Regiment (20) [80]
Spearspikes (Infantry) Regiment (20) [100]
– Two-handed Weapons [0]
Ej Grenadiers* (Large Infantry) Regiment (3) [105]
Juggers (Cavalry) Horde (20) [355]
– Brew of Strength [40]
Wild Lancers (Cavalry) Regiment (10) [170]
– Helm of the Drunken Ram [15]
Wild Runners (Cavalry) Regiment (10) [160]
– Blackpowder Weapons [15]
Aeronauts* (Large Cavalry) Regiment (3) [195]
– Brew of Haste [20]
Harvester (Monster (Chariot)) 1 [140]
– Pride of the Shires [30]
Engineer (Hero (Infantry)) 1 [120]
– Aura (Wild charge(+1) - Tinker only) [10]
– Radiance of Life (Tinker only) [15]
– Halfling Long Rifle [15]
– Gadgets and Gizmos [5]
– Sacred Horn [15]
Muster Captain on Winged Aralez (Hero (Monster)) 1 [195]

I think you’ll find that the Howitzer rarely does much by itself, compared to the Harvester which is a unique, cool, scoring, killy monster that plays into your Tinker + Ravenous support. Also it helped eat up the extra points, but left enough to get some of the tastier upgrades back in (Sp 8+ balloons, sniper rifle, etc).

1 Like

It all looks great if I knew how it would all play :sweat_smile: What would you build for a Halfling army? I’ve plenty of time to get it ready before September, looking to pick ya brain.

Might buy another regiment of the Aeronaughts… they seem extremely spicy.

1 Like

Aeronauts give me nightmares whenever I face them, a second unit would be a superb next buy :balloon:

2 Likes

Good to see Yorkshire represented. I have only used halfling in my LoR list where the braves make great objective grabbers.

3 Likes

Yorkshire through and through, I was gonna paint the little fellas in the colors of the Yorkshire Rose. So white, blue and yellow with some of the shields and flatter parts of the models with a decal of the Yorkshire Rose itself. Though I image that’s gonna take a bit of work.

1 Like

Totally not reviving a old thread. But the little fellas are coming together nicely. Ready for war soon!

3 Likes

They are looking awesome(!)

Love the styling for the balloons basing and the stalwart upgrade bits look really good (which they didn’t in all honesty in the painted mantic ones?).

Please dump the WiP pics in the painting section at some point down the line