Hills, Leadpoints, shooting and cover - looking to clarify the rule for easier understanding

Currently working out how rules work with hill and leaderpoints and cover requires checking at least 3 places in the rulebook and deriving how it works, rather than a single rule.

I’ve come up with this to keep it clear in my head - does this look thorough?

“If an attacker is shooting at a unit that has its leaderpoint on a hill, and the target unit is not on the hill, and more than 50% of the line of sight to the facing being attacked passes over that hill, the target unit has cover unless the attacker is 3 units of height taller than the hill the target’s leader point is on.”

Oof, might be hard to clarify with just one sentence. Gimme a sec and I can throw in some suggestions too. :slight_smile:

I am unable to cook it into a single sentence, but here are my lines, don’t know if these help you at all. :slight_smile:

• if my unit’s leaderpoint is not touching the hill, I cannot see over it (unless my unit is taller than the hill, normally height 4+ as hills are usually height 3, but it can vary).
  • if my unit’s leader point is on/touching the hill, the hill “disappears” for line of sight purposes for my unit, but it still counts as cover in the same way as if my unit was shooting out of a forest, for instance.
  • if my unit has its majority footprint on the hill AND my leader point is on/touching the hill, it “disappears” for line of sight purposes and will no longer hinder my shooting in any way.

ok - adjusted…

1. A unit with leaderpoint on a hill ignores that hill for LOS checking from that unit, but does not gain elevation (ie the regular rule).

2. If an attacker is shooting at a unit that has its leaderpoint on a hill, and the target unit is not on the hill, and more than 50% of the line of sight to the facing being attacked passes over that hill, the target unit has cover unless the attacker is 3 units of height taller than the hill the target’s leader point is on.

I think that covers everything

Seems correct. :face_with_monocle:

Edit:

This should be “attacker or target” or “either unit” I think.

ah indeed.

1. A unit with leaderpoint on a hill ignores that hill for LOS checking from that unit, but does not gain elevation (ie the regular rule).

2. If an attacker is shooting at a unit that has its leaderpoint on a hill, and the target unit is not on the hill, and more than 50% of the line of sight to the facing being attacked passes over that hill, the target unit has cover unless either attacking or target unit is 3 units of height taller than the hill the target’s leader point is on.

1 Like