How do you pronounce Ej?

Is this a city on the Pannithor map? Is there any pre-existing background for it? I’m not up to speed on the fluff.

Heard some interesting pronunciation on the last Counter Charge. How would you say it?

I’m going with: Edge (English accent)

admin edit
The answer has been given, tell your friends!

3 Likes

it’s an Elven City at the southern edge of the Dieshlar forest to the south west are the Blades of Ej a range of mountains named for the city.

You’ll find it on page 96

I’m going with Aae in the swedish pronunciation as I like the idea of a city called “Not”

3 Likes

Wouldn’t that be spelt more Eg or Egi as in Egill skallagrimsson?

I’m going to pronounce it as Edge like @MarkG . Only because if Mantic went with the correct ethnic pronunciations Basilea would be pronounced Vasilea like the Greek Basileus (king), which I think sounds better!

1 Like

no Ej is a word in swedish

1 Like

Cool. I thought the Blades of Ej was silly word play by Mantic, if you pronounce it “Edge”.

2 Likes

I read it as E-ih or English A-ih

It could be pronounced following the Irish/Gaelic naming convention - ie it has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with any of the letters in the name in question! :wink:

1 Like

irish is very exact in pronunciation actually, all the letters are pronounced consistently. Unlike the nightmare that is english

2 Likes

I assume like Taj Mahal. Taasj. Eesj. But it’s hard to say properly and “edge” is quite close to that, so I will probably also default to that.

1 Like

Correct. Exactly like the word edge.

10 Likes

The Irish alphabet doesn’t have the same number of letters. So for certain letters, if some are together they make the more familiar English letter. For example the name Sadhbh, is pronounce Sive.

It takes a while to get used to.

Regarding the Ej, to me I pronounced it like the first Eej in eejit.

3 Likes

@Gerrcinn Thanks, I’d taken a look at that map but was well off as I was searching around Mantica.

1 Like

@mattjgilbert Thanks. Good to know.

2 Likes

Getting this clarified makes me really happy. Good thread @MarkG and thanks alot for the clarification @mattjgilbert ! :muscle:

4 Likes

Are halflings simple minded in the Mantic world? Or do you need a big amount of british humour to get the funny thing?
I will call it E Jay like DJ. And expect many people dancing there.

1 Like

You can do that, or say it the right way, suit yourself. :sunglasses:

1 Like