Kingdom of the Apes kickstarter

Windmaster Miniatures has a kickstarter going for a new line of miniatures, The kingdom of the Apes. personally i think these would make excellent figure for KoW Herd, and the variety is such that you could probably fit them to a number of different armies.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/776147335/the-kingdom-of-the-apes/

6 Likes

Wow, I guess if someone likes apes these are cool… :smiley:
(Personally I reaaaaaally don’t like apes/monkeys(/humans :smiley: ) )

Yeah, there’s some neat designs in there (war hippos!) even if overall they aren’t my thing. Definitely would be good for herd armies.

They are fantastic! but I don’t see that clear they fit fine in any army. In most of the lists I’m thinking about, there are some interesting choices unavaiable or others you can’t really use. I wonder if there would be a chance of using as orcs but I struggle how to represent so many types of axes.

1 Like

I was just about say they could be orc proxies but you beat me to it @zakarias1989, the giant ape would make a great alternate for any army that uses giants.

1 Like

I can see the Herd connection, would be more the infantry end of the faction and not the nose-bleedingly-fast alpha strike competitive lists. Orcs are a great option as well.

EDIT: Just saw that there are Scorchwings! But also a War Drum (/ on chariot)! But also a bolt thrower :thinking:

hehe unfortunately for those who already have an Herd army it looks the best choice despite some interesting entries (like spirit walkers) are missing.

But for the orcs they would need more choices of infantry apes (specially the big ones). And since they are apes, it should be a huge pathfinder army.

I think it’s better there aren’t clear choices, Im just starting a sylvan kin army xdd

Brewed up a simple 1000 pointer based only on the army box:

Guardian Brutes Horde - [hammer item]
Tribal Spears Horde
Centaur Bray Striders Troop
Tribal Trappers Troop
Great Chieftain - Horn of the Great Migration
Gladewalker/Druid - [spells + wizardy items]

After a bunch of tinkering on the druid, I think this is where I land. Expensive caster but relies a little less on the Brute hammer, while also being able to keep it alive longer. Always nice to get fire-oil on token shooters.

Guardian Brutes Horde
Tribal Spears Horde
Tribal Trappers Troop - Fire-Oil
Great Chieftain - Horn of the Great Migration
Druid - Crown of the Wizard King, Knowledgeable, Barkskin (5), Bane Chant (2), Heal (2)

Not terrible!

2 Likes

Those are pretty cool, I’ve been mulling over the idea of an ape army (Herd or otherwise) and these could work really well. And with how long Kickstarters tend to take, I’ll probably be well done building and painting all my goblins by then!

2 Likes

the issue that they don’t map directly to Herd or any other army is a common one for a non-mantic miniatures source. but IMo they fit the Herd aesthetic better than any other KoW faction, and many of the unit types they don;t have stuff that would fit, can be filled in from another place. it shouldn’t be too hard to kitbash some D&D, GW, mantic, or reaper minis to make jungle themed tree herders and such, or source wild animal minis from any number of places to make swarms or gur panthers, etc.

2 Likes