Kingdoms of Men in 3rd. What is working for you? Tactics, lists, battles?

Did see one pic - a hill was in the middle off the deployment zone and (from the angle) a complete lack of any LoS blocking terrain in the middle of the table

2 Likes

Many thanks for posting the pictures! Indeed, the tables look terrain light. Especially a general lack of forests (most likely the green circles do represent them, but there should be more and larger ones) and a hill in a deployment zone (in one of the posted pictures) make the tables quite favorable for shooty armies.

those look like the Epic Dwarf map pack tables to me. they’re standard tourney stuff.

and yes, none of the terrain is large enough for the “2 of each” the map pack uses. but that is also standard tourney stuff, in my limited experience so far.

1 Like

In all fairness ,Its hard to strike a balance.
Too little terrain will increase the effectiveness of shooting.
Too much terrain amd shooting is useless.

I’m not sure what those colored paper circles & squares are.

I’m presuming forests (as there don’t seem to actually be any) and fields respectively?

They were the epic dwarf packs and a comment was made that the terrain had been made to scale based on the maps.

Its pretty sparse in my very, certainly less than I’ve come across in pretty much all of the UK events I’ve been to.

in my experiance american gamers are always a bit short on terrain. i saw it all the time in 40K and warhammer fantasy as well. where the recommendation was 1/3rd the table with 1/4th as the minimum. and even the official tourney events often failed to meet that minimum.

got to the point that i wound up building several 6x4ft battle boards out of pink foam for the group, scratch built a ton of bunkers and ‘alien vegetation’ forests (out of chopped up plastic flowers), and pushed them to get a big order of Amera vacuformed buildings and ruins.
most of which wound up sitting on selves unused :frowning:

This army has been tried out twice now, and it seems to lack some offense. The polearms die well enough, as they should, but two generals + giant + foot guard horde are not enough offense, apparently.

In particular, the giant has been meh during both games, as he will not die easily, but his damage is also rather lowish. His role should change as a 2nd line anvil (that he does excellent), but then I need another hammer.

I’d like some honour guard, but as I cannot ally from League, I’m taking another route:
knight regiment, brew of strength. CS (1) Tc (2), close enough, I’d suppose.

tripple cannons worked well, but I’m sure I can do with just two. If I sacrifice the hero on pegasus, I have enough points for another unit. So, here’s my version 2 of above list:

Polearms horde, indomitable will
Polearms horde, indomitable will
foot guard horde
shield wall troop
shield wall troop
mounted sergeant regiment
knight regiment, brew of strength
general on winged beast, slashing
general on winged beast
Giant,
Wizard, inspiring, LB(3) instead of FB, Bane chant.
Cannon
Cannon

Let’s see how that works out.

No fundamental issues, but do have a couple of points

Why indomitable will on the polearm but not your key infantry unit? Appreciate they might be dumped away from inspiring sources, but find that items that act as a multiplier to better units top things buffing weaker ones?

Or at least use the points to give the footguard some punch (BC won’t be enough)?

Sticking to the theme/list as much as possible I’d drop sergeants to a troop, give footguard strength, knights strider/pathfinder and the wizard a horse (or get bsb on horse if points?).