Kingdoms of Men in Clash '24

Now we’ve had time to get used to the new book, what are our thoughts on the Kingdoms of Men chances?

First of all, the removal of the pot shot rule to both crossbowmen and rifles is a good change! This may actually make them viable. Going to test this shortly. They still may not do that much damage because ranged 5+, this change may make both troops and hordes actuall viable! I love this change! (Actually, I suggested it back in 2019 before KoW3 was a thing. Great they followed up!)

The point reduction to spearmen and pike units makes them more viable. It’s just that cavalry in all its varieties isn’t seen as often as monsters and fliers, so I’m not sure this is the way to go. Yes, spears will become played more often as will pikes, BUT this will limit the effectivity of cavalry even more. I fully understand the delicate balance between horses and pikes is not easily solved, but the cavalry vs. fliers vs. phalanx balance is still off, I guess. I think applaud this chance, I’m not sure if spearmen will see play often. The pike upgrade is massively useful now. They were useful already and now they’ve become cheaper, they are even better!

EDIT: It seems that I misread the “The Beast calvalry” entry. Instead of losing the options to either fly or gain TC, they gain the option to gain both. The non-fly version used to be sub-par to knights due to movement 7, so only the flying version is viable. Would I give them another TC and vicious for even more points? I have never used them, but I am intrigued!

Chariots get a nice buff. They gain brutal and a point reduction in exchange for the loss of their bows. They may rebuy the bows in order to get back to their old point costs. I haven’t used chariots, but may try out a troop at one time to see how it works out. That said, they still remain TC2 cavalry, but they benefit from movement 9.

Cannons get a small buff in that they can score now. I haven’t used cannon since they lost ignore cover, I doubt this will change that.

All titans, both the giant and the monarch now have Unit Strength 2. That’s a good change, I think. This makes them slightly more viable.

while all army standards across all armies have been buffed greatly, ours are a bit left behind. We already had very inspiring, which now everyone has. Other army standards give nice benefits, but ours gives life leech(1). Anyone who has played undead knows that Life leech (1) doesn’t really do much, it has to be combined with heal and/or barkskin in order to be effective and that’s a point trap. With all the nice buffs around, I think the Kingdoms of Men army standard will remain the army’s lute caddy and the fact that it gives life leech is something of a minor benefit (I think).

The Wizard has been reduced to zero spells, became cheaper and can now shop the spells you want. Good if you want to save points or buy spells from the arcane library. That said, KoM can create the ultimate chaff piece. A wizard, no spells and a pegasus is 55 points. He scores and does absolutely nothing. But for 55 points, this is a steal! Give him lightning if you have the points to spare, but don’t if you want other things with your points. Kit him out with alchemists curse (0) if you want some unexpected fun for budget-points!
The Wizard/inspiring talisman/bane chant is cheaper than the army standard with lute, but you’ll lose out on the very inspiring. (oh yeah, and the life leech)

All-in, I’m okay with the changes. The changes to the shooters are very welcome and chariots make a viable option now. I’m a bit disappointed with our army standard, but you can’t have everything.

Other than that, we remain in the same position we’ve been. An Army which is more or less a transfer-army from historicals to Kings of War. It’s sort of competetive, but not often played at the larger tournaments.

1 Like

I was listening to one of the recent Counter Charges (either 662 Diamonds in the Rough or 663 Time to Raise your Standards) and they started spitballing what a meta KOM list might look like post-Clash, largely inspired by the buff to beast cav, giants and spears. Here’s my final polish on the list they tossed around:

Git Gud Kingdoms of Men [2300 / 2300]

Spear Phalanx (Infantry) Horde [200]
– Pikes [20]
Spear Phalanx (Infantry) Horde [200]
– Pikes [20]
Beast Cavalry (Large Cavalry) Horde [270]
– Gain Fly and Speed 10 [40]
– Gain Thunderous Charge (1) and Vicious [20]
Giant (Titan) 1 [225]
– Giant Cleaver [0]
Giant (Titan) 1 [225]
– Giant Cleaver [0]
Army Standard Bearer (Hero (Infantry)) 1 [65]
– Trickster’s Wand [15]
– Hex (2)
Hero on Pegasus (Hero (Large Cavalry)) 1 [95]
– Indomitable Will [5]
Hero on Pegasus (Hero (Large Cavalry)) 1 [95]
– Indomitable Will [5]
General on Winged Beast (Hero (Monster)) 1 [190]
General on Winged Beast (Hero (Monster)) 1 [195]
– Blade of Slashing [5]

While you could take an inspiring wizard with a 20 point spell (bane chant? wind blast?) in place of the ASB, I kind of wanted the very inspiring and an excuse to comment every game about how mediocre the ASB’s aura is :upside_down_face: Regardless, seems like a decent list that ignores the combined arms core of KOM to lean into the 3.5E fast flying hammer meta. And with only ~81 infantry models to paint!

2 Likes

Few points in a random order.

Beast cavalry now able to get fly, TC1 and Vicious (plus IW) puts them up with drakons for effectiveness. It’s pricey, but with plentiful flying hero support you could certainly max out. The non flying versions are still a bit yuk.

Pike Regiments are now really viable as checkerboard units. I personally can’t think of a reason to take spears, other than they are better than shieldwall!

Banner bearer could have got something better, but its free.

Chariot change is nice, although still possibly better options out there. Fact that rampage, slayer and the -1 to hit from Phalanx don’t work on them is interesting. Been listening to the Countercharge Goblin army review, and their chariots (which have Vicious but 2 less nerve) are very popular as legions. At 195 points for a sp9, US4 unlock you could start doing some fun stuff.

Giants nice - oh well poor mammoth!