I have been listening to some recent podcasts (countercharge), and there is ongoing reference to the lore of Pannithor not just in the rule book, but also as the background to various novels. This is a little reminiscent of the Black Library (Warhammer). I don’t see any of these novels referenced on the Mantic website, so my question is… is/are there other sites that review and comment on these novels and any new releases?
ola, yes they’re expanding the background, here are some links.
Mantic, you’ll need to scroll through they’re mixed with other rule books. Books - Mantic Games
dash/28 reviews and fan stories https://dash28.org/tag/kings-of-war-fiction/
US Publisher shows new stuff that’s on its way "mantic" Book Results on Simon & Schuster
There are indeed and I can’t recommend them enough.
Mantic isn’t a big company, so the publishing is being handled by Winged Hussar Publishing.
Here’s a Mantic blog on upcoming releases; a little dated, but give you and idea:
Novels so far include:
Edge of the Abyss anthology. A few short stories of mixed quality. An enjoyable read, but not as good as the novels; which are wonderful.
Steps to Deliverance. Story about Basilean Paladins fighting off an Abyssal incursion.
Drowned Secrets. Follows and exiled naiad on an adventure.
Pious. Released with Armada. Age of sail Basliean Navy vs orc pirates.
Nature’s Knight. Order of the Green Lady deal with night-stalkers.
You can get the books on Amazon buy searching for “Tales of Pannithor” or “Tales of Mantica” for the older books.
I read Steps of Deliverance and highly recommend. I’m a book snob… But it’s actually a really good book. Far exceeded expectations.
I agree. Steps of Deliverance was the first book based on game ‘fluff’ I’ve ever read and it was actually quite good.
I recommend steps to deliverance and drowned secrets both excellent reads.
It’s good to know that they’re worth the read. I’ve always been a bit leery of game tie in books, but maybe I’ll give these ones a try.
It was the same with me. But Steps to Deliverance was a good read. It’s not ‘Nobel prize worthy’ and still book based on a game, but still. Definatly no waste of time.
What is the reading order of these books? I saved them on Amazon but would like to start in the beginning
I liked the short story collections, both for KoW (Edge of the Abyss) and Deadzone (Containment protocols). Light reading but great fluff and while some stories i couldn’t really get into, some others were quite nice and overall a good read.
Didn’t get around to reading any of the novels yet.
It’s great to see some interest in the novels here; I’m one of the Winged Hussar authors so I should try to be here more often to talk through this stuff! I’m the guy who wrote Steps to Deliverance, Pious, and 1/4 of Nature’s Knight. Thank you so much for the compliments, and you are entirely correct - it’s not Nobel Prize stuff! But rest assured, a tonne of effort goes into each and every one of these, even though we’re not trying to win prizes! Ok, the running order, and some never publicly revealed links between books for the eagle-eyed to go hunting for:
- Edge of the Abyss: A collection of short stories of varying timelines, at the moment only two of these stories (I think!) feed into the novels.
- Steps to Deliverance: Set in the current, 3rd Edition timeline.
- Drowned Secrets: Set several years before Steps to Deliverance.
- Pious: Set two months before Steps to Deliverance. There is one reference to hunt for in there where one of the main characters mentions in passing that he is related by his sister’s marriage to one of the main characters in Steps to Deliverance. Also, there is a blink and you’ll miss it cameo by one of the pre-made characters from the Red Scar Kings of War RPG.
- Nature’s Knight: Set after Drowned Secrets but before Pious and Steps to Deliverance. Directly follows on from one of the Edge of the Abyss short stories. Several small links: the main protagonist of Drowned Secrets briefly appears. A major character from Faith Aligned, the yet-to-be published sequel to Steps to Deliverance, is involved in a background conversation in a flashback. A secondary character from Faith Aligned is also referenced.
- Broken Alliance: the next KoW novel to be released in Q1 of 2022, set in Rhordia. Directly follows on from an Edge of the Abyss short story.
- Faith Aligned: Sequel A to Steps to Deliverance, taking place weeks after the end of the previous novel. Uses several characters from Steps to Deliverance and has two minor references to Nature’s Knight. Due for release in the first half of 2022.
- Hero Falling: Sequel B to Steps to Deliverance. Story runs on exactly the same time line as Faith Aligned, but following different characters. Has cross over events and characters between the two novels. Uses characters from Steps to Deliverance and two of the pre-made playable heroes from Dungeon Saga. Events on the last page of Pious referenced. Due for release on the same day as Faith Aligned.
- The Cost of Power: Set in the 3rd Edition timeline. Has crossover events with Hero Falling, as two characters from these two stories are related. Due for release 2022.
That’s about as much as I know! If you’ve got any questions, feel free to fire away!
Good to know, that you are on the forums. Thanks for Steps of Deliverance, it’s a really nice book. Even nicer to hear it get’s two sequels. I will definetly get them!
I really want to write one one day