Kings of War Terrain Crafting

Hi everyone, I wasn’t sure if there was an existing thread dedicated to terrain building on here.
I’m starting out with some easier pieces like hills, forests, and probably some impassables.
Please share your ideas or your own terrain!

I started on this hill tonight using a sizable piece of old bark from my yard, cured in the oven. Looking forward to getting it primed, sealed, drybrushed, and flocked for the table.
Some WIP Sylvan Gladestalkers for scale.

10 Likes

I prefer my hills in kings of war to be more flat and uniform, otherwise the units tend to slide off or stand at an angle which makes it hard to measure correctly.
yours look good but it seems to me it will suffer from my mentioned potensial issues in gameplay. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

The age old compromise between function and form.

I did mine to ensure units coild sit on in most positions without sliding, but it’s 1" tall where a H3 terrsin piece would preferably be 2". Also not sure how natural it looks with the near concentric “steps”.

8 Likes

I totally agree Fred. I’m hoping that it will be flat enough overall to not interfere too much but but still look cool. We’ll see how it goes. I may end up reserving my cliffs and stuff for impassable/blocking terrain where units won’t be sitting on top of it.

2 Likes

I 3d printed some stairs to act as stands and hold in these situations. It definitely makes the process easier.

2 Likes

Bark is my fav material for bases and terrain. I havn’t built anything for KoW yet, only for skirmish games.

2 Likes

Update of the primed and partially drybrushed stone. Gonna have more colours for some complexity.

Edit:

11 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes

Those are all awesome! I really like how big you trees are. Much more satisfying than a forest with little trees.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot! Those trees are quite big, but I think it looks much more realistic. For playability they are detacheable. They are expensive though. That’s why I mixed with smaller and cheaper coniferous trees.

1 Like

Btw, that bark rock looks superb! Can’t wait to see it finished.

1 Like

My wife made me these for Christmas

8 Likes

Sweet that terrain looks great!
I really like your mat as well.

2 Likes

Nice! You’re a lucky man!

2 Likes